Market

stefndoug

My mom loves markets.  We are doing Mexican Riviera in February with Carnival.  We are doing Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.  Which one would have the best market to go to?  I am thinking Puerto Vallarta if I remember correctly, but love opinions on that.  Also, how would we get there.  I checked the shore excursions with Carnival and they have nothing that would do that.  I was thinking a city tour and market stop if they offered it, but they don't seem to.  So we would consider taxi if that is an option.  There are 4 of us doing this.  Would love some ideas and opinions on how we could do this.

Thank you so much 

7 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

@stefndougI don't have the answer, but wanted to clarify that you are looking for "local" (not tourist?) markets? I will leave the answers to our expats and repeat cruisers! 

(PS I reported your duplicate post for removal, or merging if they both get replies!)

i tried to figure out how to delete the post, but it wouldn't let me delete it.  Not sure how it duplicated, but it did.  

local market would be best 🙂

• Like 1

We love the shopping at the Central Market/Mercado in Mazatlan. Take a local taxi at the port very quick and easy to do. After you shop go to the Panama Bakery/Restaurant just around the corner...ask and a local will point you in the right direction.

When you're ready to go back to the ship just flag down a taxi. This is all very safe and easy to do. We were just there first of the year.

At your other two ports (just at those on our Panama Canal itinerary this month) take a shuttle taxi at the Puerto Vallarta port to the beginning of the pedestrian Malecon..lots of shopping but be sure to go all the way to the bridge and go down the steps to lots of stalls for some more great shopping. Again when you're ready to return go a block behind the Malecon (one way traffic) and grab a local taxi. 

Cabo just get off the tender and walk into town no transportation necessary and lots of street stores.

Taxi USD $10.00 for the two of us one way at both ports. Ask price before getting in the local ones off the street . The shuttle at the Puerto Vallarta port holds about 8 people and is a set price they'll be many of them lined up and they do one drop off very close to the beginning of the Malecon.

Please don't do an excursion just to shop at these easy do it yourself ports !!!!

Enjoy... we'll be back to the Mexican Riviera in January on another cruise.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

Much depends what kind of market you mean. In Puerto Vallarta there are daily markets, mostly with food etc. One os not too far from the terminal at Aramara. The other one is more near old town.

If you mean items like clothing, shoes etc. you can visit the flea market near the river Cuale near old town. Also you will find many shops with that along the Malecon.

Depending the day and time there is a very nice farmers market with music, food, clothing, paintings etc. at the Marina, just a short cab ride or even walking ditstance from the terminal. But....ttis one is only in winter on Thursday night from 6-9. 

11 hours ago, Ine said:

Much depends what kind of market you mean. In Puerto Vallarta there are daily markets, mostly with food etc. One os not too far from the terminal at Aramara. The other one is more near old town.

If you mean items like clothing, shoes etc. you can visit the flea market near the river Cuale near old town. Also you will find many shops with that along the Malecon.

Depending the day and time there is a very nice farmers market with music, food, clothing, paintings etc. at the Marina, just a short cab ride or even walking ditstance from the terminal. But....ttis one is only in winter on Thursday night from 6-9. 

No food...we get plenty on the cruise LOL.  thank you for the help.  Will do some research

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

We love the shopping at the Central Market/Mercado in Mazatlan. Take a local taxi at the port very quick and easy to do. After you shop go to the Panama Bakery/Restaurant just around the corner...ask and a local will point you in the right direction.

When you're ready to go back to the ship just flag down a taxi. This is all very safe and easy to do. We were just there first of the year.

At your other two ports (just at those on our Panama Canal itinerary this month) take a shuttle taxi at the Puerto Vallarta port to the beginning of the pedestrian Malecon..lots of shopping but be sure to go all the way to the bridge and go down the steps to lots of stalls for some more great shopping. Again when you're ready to return go a block behind the Malecon (one way traffic) and grab a local taxi. 

Cabo just get off the tender and walk into town no transportation necessary and lots of street stores.

Taxi USD $10.00 for the two of us one way at both ports. Ask price before getting in the local ones off the street . The shuttle at the Puerto Vallarta port holds about 8 people and is a set price they'll be many of them lined up and they do one drop off very close to the beginning of the Malecon.

Please don't do an excursion just to shop at these easy do it yourself ports !!!!

Enjoy... we'll be back to the Mexican Riviera in January on another cruise.

Thank you so much.  Will jot down your suggestions.

• Like 1

The Central Market in Mazatlan is called the Mercado Pino Suarez, to give it its full name.  It is of historic interest -- google it if you'd like.  I highly recommend it.  It is in walking distance to the Cathedral, if that is of interest to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

The Central Market in Mazatlan is called the Mercado Pino Suarez, to give it its full name.  It is of historic interest -- google it if you'd like.  I highly recommend it.  It is in walking distance to the Cathedral, if that is of interest to you.

Thank you.  I will google it.