Using Gift cards for onboard credit

Hi. Back in the summer I redeemed my bank points for a Princess gift card which I put on my shipboard account. 

Does Royal Caribbean have gift cards? I don't see it as an option for my bank rewards. With Christmas coming, I was going to ask my family for gift cards to use on the cruise. Or can I use Visa cards and add them to my account? 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

So it says "Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard."     So I can't take in on board and add it to my account through guest services? I won't have enough time if I get cards as gifts to turn around it add it to my account.

It also says about using them before final payment but I'm wondering if that's only if I use it to pay a portion of the cruise.

29 minutes ago, takemeaway2008 said:

So it says "Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard."     So I can't take in on board and add it to my account through guest services? I won't have enough time if I get cards as gifts to turn around it add it to my account.

It also says about using them before final payment but I'm wondering if that's only if I use it to pay a portion of the cruise.

No but you can exchange for onboard credit, but have to do it before the cruise

29 minutes ago, takemeaway2008 said:

It says for onboard credit it must be redeemed up to 10 days before the cruise

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

I get gift certificates from my family (my choice) I recently applied a total of $800 towards my final payment...easy to do.

I cant get the web site to redeem gift certificates to work.   ( or buy them )   I called and got a very long email address to request credit on a booking.  Is that the route you took?  thanks

19 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I'm lost.  What benefit is there to using gift cards?  All I can see is they ensure the person you give them to has to spend the money with Royal.  Am I missing something?

Gift cards have always been great gifts, especially brand and/or store specific cards. Gives them more meaning than just generic visa cards so I can definitely see asking for these for Christmas or birthdays, just wish Royal had a better system in place.

Edited by sailor05

3 hours ago, ccletzgo said:

I cant get the web site to redeem gift certificates to work.   ( or buy them )   I called and got a very long email address to request credit on a booking.  Is that the route you took?  thanks

I had no problems doing them online to apply them to my final balance due about 3 weeks before it was due just to make sure they went through with no problems.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, Cigar King said:

I'm lost.  What benefit is there to using gift cards?  All I can see is they ensure the person you give them to has to spend the money with Royal.  Am I missing something?

Sometimes the recipient ASKS for them for Christmas, birthdays, Mother's Day, to help pay for cruises and obc.  I LOVE me my gift certs from my family.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, msuspartabigten said:

Why not just incur the costs during the cruise, then use the Visa gift cards to pay off your balance at the end of the cruise? No need to put it on your account as onboard credit, IMO.

Ok, so I can use my Visa gift card towards my account balance? I haven't thought about that before. Last cruise I used a cruise gift card I 'bought' with my bank reward program. 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:36 PM, Ashland said:

I had no problems doing them online to apply them to my final balance due about 3 weeks before it was due just to make sure they went through with no problems.

I've already paid for the cruise. I want to use them for when I board to pay for dinner, excursions, et. 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:06 PM, Cigar King said:

We sail the day after Christmas. It would be great to receive as presents from family. But it doesn't look like it will work because I won't have enough time to add them to our account. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. We would also like to provide our children a means to purchase onboard credit for us for our upcoming sailing on Oasis in February. However, the RCI gift Certificates website states that they are only available to US residents. Is there any other way for non US residents to purchase them online?

Thank you.

image.thumb.png.fc1188c3088ff4b858ab96fd17a5f714.png