Tender Tickets

Grumpella

You pick them up in a designated area on the ship, usually a lounge, when you are ready to go ashore. Then you sit in the lounge and wait until your tender number is called. 
Later in the morning, when the crowds have thinned, it becomes open tender, and you just head down to the tender dock and board. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steirisch said:

Thank you for asking this question, Grumpella.  I had no idea you had to get tender tickets.  I still have a lot to learn about HAL.  Of course, this is IF you don't have a shore excursion booked through HAL, right?

Correct. HAL shore excursion passengers will have priority for early tenders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steirisch said:

Thank you for asking this question, Grumpella.  I had no idea you had to get tender tickets.  I still have a lot to learn about HAL.  Of course, this is IF you don't have a shore excursion booked through HAL, right?

I don’t know where you are sailing but usually it is not really a big issue, simply a formality.   Depending on when you depart the ship you may not need them at all.  It is mainly used to handle the early morning rush

9 hours ago, Steirisch said:

All Mariners with a 4 or 5 stars status or above, suite people and Club orange passengers, also do not need a tender tickets and can usually just walk to the tender platform. However, on some cruises with a lot of 4 and 5 stars (like more than half the ship as it happens on grand voyages or longer cruises), sometimes, the 4 and 5 stars also need to pick up a priority tender ticket. Then there are 2 designated locations to pick up the tender tickets. One for priority, the other for regular passengers. I have seen this happen. 

9 hours ago, Steirisch said:

I haven't done a ship's excursion but from what I've seen you still have to report to the lounge and wait for your tour to be called. They are given priority though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I haven't done a ship's excursion but from what I've seen you still have to report to the lounge and wait for your tour to be called. They are given priority though.

That may depend on where your excursion is supposed to meet. Sometimes an excursion meets ashore, and it is your responsibility to be on a tender in time to arrive before the excursion is scheduled to leave. 
Those are usually excursions leaving later in the morning, or in the afternoon. It gives people an opportunity to go ashore on their own without needing to return to the ship just to meet and head ashore again. 

• Thanks 1

Currently on Nieuw Statendam, no priority tender tickets for HAL tours.  We double checked with front desk.  I noticed it was 2 hours before tendering opened to non tender ticket holders.  This was in Grand Cayman.  We decided not to go on our tour.  Otherwise, fabulous cruise.  Top Notch service and great bands.

• Like 1

Yikes, I am starting to worry....We are going to be in Grand Cayman arriving on the Nieuw Amsterdam on a day when there are five (5) cruise ships in port, with ours arriving last at 9 a.m.  

We booked an excursion with Captain Marvin because there were no HAL excursions showing for that port for more than a month after we booked the cruise.  With a 9 a.m. arrival in port, they seemed to think that 10:45 check-in at their office across from the tender terminal would be possible.

Any insight from those who might have tried making that kind of connection?

8 hours ago, Naismith said:

Yikes, I am starting to worry....We are going to be in Grand Cayman arriving on the Nieuw Amsterdam on a day when there are five (5) cruise ships in port, with ours arriving last at 9 a.m.  

We booked an excursion with Captain Marvin because there were no HAL excursions showing for that port for more than a month after we booked the cruise.  With a 9 a.m. arrival in port, they seemed to think that 10:45 check-in at their office across from the tender terminal would be possible.

Any insight from those who might have tried making that kind of connection?

Except in bad sea conditions or for customs delays I have never had an issue with getting off the ship within an hour after arriving.  Of course I am an early riser and would be downstairs waiting at 9. Each HAL ship seems to handle tendering differently.  If you are only walking 5 minutes I would think you would be fine. Ask the company about their cancellation and delay policies. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, Mary229 said:

Except in bad sea conditions or for customs delays I have never had an issue with getting off the ship within an hour after arriving.  Of course I am an early riser and would be downstairs waiting at 9. Each HAL ship seems to handle tendering differently.  If you are only walking 5 minutes I would think you would be fine. Ask the company about their cancellation and delay policies. 

Thanks again, that was so reassuring and worked perfectly for us.  The tenders in Grand Cayman hold 250 people, and we were on the first one out.  We even had time to tour the National Museum before heading to the snorkeling excursion, so that worked well.  

• Like 1

It took almost 4 hours to get to Open Tenders on our Thanksgiving Koningsdam cruise. We arrived in Cabo and they didn’t start open tenders til 2:41. I was appalled - it’s usually fine within an hour or so…

As all-aboard was 5:30 we didn’t bother going ashore.