Majestic arrival 12 Nov 22

I’m really keen to hear from people aboard the Majestic arriving back in Sydney today about the experience with COVID.

800 people seems a lot and I’m curious about the number of public v crew here and what the isolation situation was given such large case numbers. We are booked for 19 days to NZ from Adelaide in January, and am pretty bummed at the thought we run such a high risk of being locked down in Isolation on our first OS cruise with the kids.  We have a mini suite and spent quite a lot on this given we also have two mortgages and recent interest rate rises have really hurt!

Is it more crew than passengers?  How did isolation work for family groups, especially if there were children who need care?

I’m a teacher and starting think I might walk around licking door handles in classrooms at work to get it before we go 😂 (not really, that’s irresponsible)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RobinBancs said:

I’m really keen to hear from people aboard the Majestic arriving back in Sydney today about the experience with COVID.

800 people seems a lot and I’m curious about the number of public v crew here and what the isolation situation was given such large case numbers. We are booked for 19 days to NZ from Adelaide in January, and am pretty bummed at the thought we run such a high risk of being locked down in Isolation on our first OS cruise with the kids.  We have a mini suite and spent quite a lot on this given we also have two mortgages and recent interest rate rises have really hurt!

Is it more crew than passengers?  How did isolation work for family groups, especially if there were children who need care?

I’m a teacher and starting think I might walk around licking door handles in classrooms at work to get it before we go 😂 (not really, that’s irresponsible)

We were on the previous cruise, and were lucky not to be affected - well, until testing positive a couple of days after returning home. Usually we just like a boarding photo souvenir, but scored an extra bonus this time.

800 is a number plucked from someone on social media, so it is now the definitive number. Based on those aboard, tier 3 confirms there is a minimum of around 430 infections aboard, and anything more is speculative. There isn't/won't be any official number released, so they will also not spell out how many are crew. We can speculate when the ship departs, if they remain at tier 2 or 3, a significant number of crew are infected. If they drop to tier 1, it would suggest very few crew are infected. Personally, I would have to think that passengers and crew have managed to share.

Isolation for couples is pretty straight forward. The family group remains together in most cases, so positive parents won't be separated from negative kids or vice versa. If one is positive, they remain in cabin isolation. Any that are negative are free to leave the cabin, get tested daily, but cannot sit in dining/bar/theatres etc. They can go and grab food & supplies.

For a recent experience of being in iso with covid, there is a very recent active thread for Coral Princess around Australia cruise. There is a fair bit of day by day response from a couple of members who tested positive during the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to ABC News, Carnival said there were about 800 infections on board. "The president of cruise operator Carnival Australia, Marguerite Fitzgerald, said there were about 800 people infected, who were mostly passengers." As the majority of infections were passengers, once they disembark, they are gone (assuming a few will be on B2B though). I am boarding next weekend so the news that most are passengers is reassuring. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobinBancs said:

Merry Christmas and a HappyNew Year ! Stop over thinking it . They will not separate families ... you not from Vic ? Be more scared of Dan .

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, RobinBancs said:

As most would be aware, Carnival Australia president Marguerite Fitzgerald has confirmed the 800 number as real, plus a small number of crew. That is a staggering number to reach after 10 days of cruising.

I hear there is always something to contend with on a ship, and covid is no different to the other bugs they have to deal with from time to time, and the cruise lines can handle it just as effectively. Even then, we stack-up very well against other major outbreaks of the past. It would have to be some sort of pinnacle for communicable illnesses in Australia, and this is as bad as I could find for anything else in the past 25 years.

Cruise Outbreak Was Among Worst in 20 Years, CDC Says (nbcnews.com)

Most of the protocols are defensive responses designed to mitigate a significant outbreak. It would seem that these kick into gear a day or two late and relying on passengers coming forward for testing is just another one of those honour systems that seem to work better overseas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1