The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday November 14th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We visited Cobh/Cork a few years ago.  Liked how handy it is that you can board a train to the city right at the cruise terminal.  Have a nagging question, though.  I assume that Cobh is the Gaelic way to spell Cork.  Are both words pronounced the same?

Ray

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

To answer your question, no.  Cobh is the port for Cork which is a few more miles inland and a big city.  Cobh is a smaller town.

Lenda

To add to what Lenda said, Cobh is pronounced "Cove".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Quartzsite CruiserHave you seen the set of pedals that sit on the floor and you use them while sitting in a chair? My 91-year-old friend switched from her stationary bike to this set-up after she had a small tumble when getting off her bike. She feels it works well. I think she found it on Amazon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Quartzsite CruiserHave you seen the set of pedals that sit on the floor and you use them while sitting in a chair? My 91-year-old friend switched from her stationary bike to this set-up after she had a small tumble when getting off her bike. She feels it works well. I think she found it on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Dh actually has a set in Quartzsite and one at the house here. He got both on Amazon.  His problem now is sitting up and having his BP drop extremely low. 

Yesterday, the PT was in his room for safety, and the therapist had him doing leg and foot exercises while monitoring his BP every five minutes.

Lenda 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I can't help wondering what happened to two things.  1) Do no harm and 2) putting the patient first over the doctor's ego.  I think they don't  realize how much stress and worry the place on patients and their families when they place their egos ahead of everything.  I guess you can tell my opimism from Saturday has turned to frustration.

Lenda

Part of the problem is the corporate take over of the doctors.  Most now work for a hospital physicians  group or some other outfit.  The lone, sole practitioner is hard to find.  My Ohio doctor held out as long as she could, but costs made it hard to continue.  Now, a doctor's performance is rated by bean counters and the issue isn't care as much as producing RVUs - Relative Value Units - or in other words, revenue.  I had a friend who was fired from his hospital based practice because he wasn't seeing enough patients in the day.  He was taking too much time with each one and not producing enough revenue.  Money rules!

My Ohio doctor and I would usually spend the first 10 minutes of my visits complaining about the physician's group she was a part of.  I think she was trying to get fired.  In the end, I moved to Michigan and she left for Colorado.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Part of the problem is the corporate take over of the doctors.  Most now work for a hospital physicians  group or some other outfit.  The lone, sole practitioner is hard to find.  My Ohio doctor held out as long as she could, but costs made it hard to continue.  Now, a doctor's performance is rated by bean counters and the issue isn't care as much as producing RVUs - Relative Value Units - or in other words, revenue.  I had a friend who was fired from his hospital based practice because he wasn't seeing enough patients in the day.  He was taking too much time with each one and not producing enough revenue.  Money rules!

My Ohio doctor and I would usually spend the first 10 minutes of my visits complaining about the physician's group she was a part of.  I think she was trying to get fired.  In the end, I moved to Michigan and she left for Colorado.  

Debbie, I understand what you're saying.  The regional hospital near our town gives good care, but now uses doctors from a hospital group based (I think) in Maine.  Because of that, our PCP who has an independent practice, no longer has privileges at the hospital.  Fortunately, the PCP's practice is thriving.  He also is more interesed in treating his patients, and then worrying about the money.

We're definitely keeping him.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1