Waitlist Excursions

Fletcher

I am intending to book a Silver Cloud expedition cruise mainly for one reason - to visit a specific site on an excursion.  It is remote and otherwise difficult to get to. That excursion is showing as Waitlist on MySilversea.  What exactly does this mean?  Has the excursion sold out four months in advance and that I can only add my name to the Waitlist and hope someone drops out?  My personal cruise consultant says not to worry but I do worry about spending lots of money and missing the one thing I really want to see.  Any comments and help will be gratefully received. 

45 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I am intending to book a Silver Cloud expedition cruise mainly for one reason - to visit a specific site on an excursion.  It is remote and otherwise difficult to get to. That excursion is showing as Waitlist on MySilversea.  What exactly does this mean?  Has the excursion sold out four months in advance and that I can only add my name to the Waitlist and hope someone drops out?  My personal cruise consultant says not to worry but I do worry about spending lots of money and missing the one thing I really want to see.  Any comments and help will be gratefully received. 

What is the specific excursion?  I ask because some waitlists are more likely to clear than others (or have additional buses added).  If someone reading this has been on the same expedition itineary you are considering, they might know more and be able to provide more educated information.

I have been on several SS cruises where the waitlist did not clear, e.g., where it was not realistic to 'just add another bus' (e.g., intra-cruise land excursions where an overnight is done elsewhere, as an example, or a very limited enrollement, one of a kind  "exclusive" excursion where adding more bodies would spoil the experience for others).

You're a very experienced cruiser, but I worry when I hear someone is selecting a cruise because of one port, or in this case, one excursion in one port. So many things can go wrong, from weather to Covid restrictions, mechanical breakdowns to the tour operator being under-staffed, which is why we counsel cruisers and potential cruisers to not be too fixated on a single destination in case it doesn't happen. You know this, I know.But sometimes we all can get a little deep in the weeds and not look at the big picture. 😉 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

You're a very experienced cruiser, but I worry when I hear someone is selecting a cruise because of one port, or in this case, one excursion in one port. So many things can go wrong, from weather to Covid restrictions, mechanical breakdowns to the tour operator being under-staffed, which is why we counsel cruisers and potential cruisers to not be too fixated on a single destination in case it doesn't happen. You know this, I know.But sometimes we all can get a little deep in the weeds and not look at the big picture. 😉 

I'm pretty sure Fletcher has considered all of those issues and understands "the big picture".  But odds are generally better to do a coveted desirable excursion you have never done before (likely a short list for Fletcher) if you have a real booking, as opposed to just a hope of getting on with a waitlist.  There is more peace of mind with a real booking, even if you know that "s*** happens".

Cruises and excursions are always a gamble at some level, but having a booked excursion improves your odds.

I'm frustrated at the lack of excursions in Muscat, Oman for our cruise.  We will be in Oman for two days and the first day is already waitlisted on the 3 excursions which are offered.  After being on the ship for 4 1/2 days,  we were hoping they would have enough tours lined up.  This is in early March 2024 and already waitlisted.  I hope for your sake they will be able to accommodate you.

One of the excursions on my Silver Explorer cruise has been waitlisted from the moment I booked a year in advance. I doubt it is sold out.  The possibilities are the excursion is not yet finalised; OR there might not be an excursion on that day after all; OR it is limited in numbers so is not being released until a later date.  Or something else.  It doesn’t bother me, but it might if it was an excursion particularly on my bucket list.

Surely not everyone books their cruise a year or so in advance. We very rarely do that.  But current experience shows that Silversea want you to do just that.  Otherwise you might book a cruise, pay a deposit, go on to MySilversea and then find that all the excursions you fancy are already sold out.  So you cancel your cruise.  This is nuts.  Surely Silversea can find a way so that you can assess the situation before you make a booking.

Edited by Fletcher

2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Surely not everyone books their cruise a year or so in advance. We very rarely do that.  But current experience shows that Silversea want you to do just that.  Otherwise you might book a cruise, pay a deposit, go on to MySilversea and then find that all the excursions you fancy are already sold out.  So you cancel your cruise.  This is nuts.  Surely Silversea can find a way so that you can assess the situation before you make a booking.

Have you telephoned Silversea to ask?  This is something you are allowed to do yourself, even when the cruise is booked through a travel agent.  There will be a reason the excursion is shown as “waitlisted”.

I suspect you're familiar will all of this, but just in case.  I have found that when I was waitlisted it would clear a few weeks before departure. That is the timeframe when someone from excursion team gets into the weeds and sorts out what the  realistic numbers are for excursions. That is also the time, if possible, that another bus might be added.  If it didn't clear, once on board I would check regularly with the expedition team, especially the day before. Very annoying to become that person, but it is the state of things.  One now needs to be an advocate for oneself more than ever.  If still waitlisted, and if I really really wanted to go, I would show up for the excursion and hope that someone else drank too much the night before. 😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

One now needs to be an advocate for oneself more than ever.  If still waitlisted, and if I really really wanted to go, I would show up for the excursion and hope that someone else drank too much the night before. 😃

This will not happen in Saudi Arabia!!!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

If still waitlisted, and if I really really wanted to go, I would show up for the excursion and hope that someone else drank too much the night before.

We did this one time and were told the bus was full and they couldn't take us.  We showed up at the last minute because the tour we were originally on got cancelled the day before due to lack of interest.  The excursions desk told us it was the tour operator that cancelled the tour because they required a certain number of guests to operate it and apparently too many dropped out.

Am doing Capetown to Mahe on the Silver Cloud (March-mid April) a voyage or two before yours.  One of our ports has been Waitlisted since I booked.  Conrad Combrink (SVP for All Silversea Destinations (Classic and Expedition)  had his Destinations pro from this region look into the WL Status for me, below is what Walter said, and includes his email if you want to reach out and ask about Al Ula.  Good luck. 

Regarding Comoros, we are still in the process of appointing an operator in that region and hope to have the tours firmed up in the next few weeks.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best regards,

Walter Barinaga | Senior Director, Destination Management

Silversea Cruises | 1050 Caribbean Way, 5th Floor | Miami,  FL 33132

+ 1 954 759 5055 Direct I + 1 954 325 2232 (Mobile)

WalterB@silversea.com I Silversea.com

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Surely not everyone books their cruise a year or so in advance.

No, not everyone.  But, there is a great degree of variability amongst itineraries.

I think I remember a destination you raved and raved about many, many different times, that when an extra special itinerary was released that included 3-days there, the voyage sold out over 2-years in advance.

13 hours ago, WesW said:

Am doing Capetown to Mahe on the Silver Cloud (March-mid April) a voyage or two before yours.  One of our ports has been Waitlisted since I booked.  Conrad Combrink (SVP for All Silversea Destinations (Classic and Expedition)  had his Destinations pro from this region look into the WL Status for me, below is what Walter said, and includes his email if you want to reach out and ask about Al Ula.  Good luck. 

Many thanks for that Wes.  We have also been eyeing up your CapeTown-Mahe trip.  Since independence from France many years back, The Comoros are very rarely visited by cruise ships, apart from Ponant I think.  Aldabra is a special place which we visited on our very first oceanic cruise, on a small ship called Island Sky.  It changed our lives forever.  In fact, if Silversea linked your cruise directly to ours to Saudi I might well have gone for it.  But the Cloud sails empty from Mahe to Muscat.  

Thanks for the link to the Silversea exec.  My cruise consultant is working on it but if she comes up empty I'll go for the nuclear option.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

No, not everyone.  But, there is a great degree of variability amongst itineraries.

I think I remember a destination you raved and raved about many, many different times, that when an extra special itinerary was released that included 3-days there, the voyage sold out over 2-years in advance.

Good heavens, I wonder where that was . . . 

Fletcher, you’re very welcome glad to assist as you r so helpful with your many thoughtful world travel experienced posts. Can’t wait to visit Aldabra,

btw, if you care too you can book the five days the Cloud cruises from  Mahe to Muscat (my TA got us the rate) as a few of the Grand Expedition cruisers r continuing on.   And learned recently that our favorite Expedition Leader is rejoining Silversea (Schalk Botha) in early January and he will be on the Cloud 

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clarky said:

Hi Fletcher,   We are also on this cruise and are wait listed on this tour.  Can you share the information you received please as I really don't want to miss this tour.

Hello Clarky.  I used the link provided  by Wes above and got this reply - "My sincere apologies for the delay in getting our shore excursion programs online for this incredible voyage. Rest assured we are working diligently with our operators to get tours online as quickly as possible. The visit to Lac Assal and Al Ula will be available to book as soon as we have the final details from our operator. Again, my apologies for this delay we anticipate having online in the next few weeks and will communicate respectively."

I took this to mean that everyone is waitlisted for now and in a few weeks the bookings will be confirmed once they have sorted out the land arrangements.  This really is new territory for cruises.  I think also they wanted to know the likely numbers of sacrificial lambs.  Al Ula has quite large hotel capacity and this will be in low season (ie, hot).

I'll be tackling them over visas sometime early next year.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

Fletcher,

Thank you for the quick reply.  This makes me feel so much better.  We lived in the Middle East and have been fasinated with the culture and history of the region and  this is one of the tours that we have wanted to do.  One of the main reasons I booked this cruise was to do this tour.  In fact I booked this  cruise in July 2021 and was baffled that this tour was waitlisted.  We are cruising Jeddah to Dublin and I look forward to meeting you.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, clarky said:

Fletcher,

Thank you for the quick reply.  This makes me feel so much better.  We lived in the Middle East and have been fasinated with the culture and history of the region and  this is one of the tours that we have wanted to do.  One of the main reasons I booked this cruise was to do this tour.  In fact I booked this  cruise in July 2021 and was baffled that this tour was waitlisted.  We are cruising Jeddah to Dublin and I look forward to meeting you.

We too you.  We have just noted that we get on board in Muscat on the penultimate day of Ramadan and that our first week in Oman will be during the Festival of Eid.  Hope this might be interesting rather than inconvenient.  I'm relieved we won't be in Saudi at that time.

• 3 weeks later...