MedallionNet Wi-Fi Pre-Purchase

Uncle Sugar

Later this year we’re going on our first cruise purchased as Standard category—not Plus or Premier (all our several previous post-pandemic cruises have been Plus Package with the Wi-Fi included). Being Elite tier passengers, we’re contemplating purchasing a 1-device MedallionNet Wi-Fi package at the advertised benefit of 50% off pricing if ordered before the cruise. However, going into the Princess (formerly Medallion Class) App, we are only offered the full, non-discounted pricing of $10 per day—there is no mention of any discount or offsetting OBC after embarking.  Accordingly, we have some questions, as follows:

• Does the app fully recognize our Elite status? In this regard, the tiny Princess Sea Witch icon included with our profile photos is blue, not black—is this a factor? Is this why we’re not seeing the discount on the app?
  • If we purchase the MedallionNet package pre-cruise at full 100% pricing using the app, will we automatically see the promised 50% discount on the cruise folio as added OBC once we board?
  • And, lastly will such OBC be refundable or non-refundable? In this regard, the latest “Full Terms and conditions” (as promulgated on the Princess website) states, “MedallionNet Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio.” Based on this language, it appears the OBC should indeed be refundable.

We would appreciate hearing the experience of other Platinums or Elites when purchasing a MedallionNet Wi-Fi package beforehand on the app. From what we could discern, if we wait until boarding our cruise to purchase, we are no longer eligible for the discount.

Edited by Uncle Sugar
Easier reading

I am elite and also booked my most recent cruise on the Sapphire as Standard.  Maybe I was lucky on purchasing internet in the App.  At first it was full price, then I looked one day and it was showing the price with the 50% discount, so I jumped on it,  I do not know what the criteria was to show the discount.  My understanding is that you CAN purchase internet once on board at a 50% discount, it us just discounted from the higher price.  You might try live chat and see if they can do anything for you to purchase it advance WITH the discounted price.

The same thing happened to me.  I was charged the full amount on the app.  When I got on board, I had to go to the passenger services desk to have them apply the OBC for the 50% elite discount.  It did not happen automatically.  It was not a refundable OBC though.  I didn't complain about it because I knew we would use the OBC anyway but I agree that based on the wording in the terms and conditions it should have been refundable so I would suggest letting them know (and bringing a copy of the terms and conditions with you) when you go to the passenger services desk.

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

The same thing happened to me.  I was charged the full amount on the app.  When I got on board, I had to go to the passenger services desk to have them apply the OBC for the 50% elite discount.  It did not happen automatically.  It was not a refundable OBC though.  I didn't complain about it because I knew we would use the OBC anyway but I agree that based on the wording in the terms and conditions it should have been refundable so I would suggest letting them know (and bringing a copy of the terms and conditions with you) when you go to the passenger services desk.

You did nit mention the ship and date this occurred.  There was some confusion quite a while back with a ship or two.  The rebate is Refundable OBC and guest should insist on it if posted otherwise.  Could be a clerical error as lots of new employees at the desk from my experience last month.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, Uncle Sugar said:

Later this year we’re going on our first cruise purchased as Standard category—not Plus or Premier (all our several previous post-pandemic cruises have been Plus Package with the Wi-Fi included). Being Elite tier passengers, we’re contemplating purchasing a 1-device MedallionNet Wi-Fi package at the advertised benefit of 50% off pricing if ordered before the cruise. However, going into the Princess (formerly Medallion Class) App, we are only offered the full, non-discounted pricing of $10 per day—there is no mention of any discount or offsetting OBC after embarking.  Accordingly, we have some questions, as follows:

• Does the app fully recognize our Elite status? In this regard, the tiny Princess Sea Witch icon included with our profile photos is blue, not black—is this a factor? Is this why we’re not seeing the discount on the app?
  • If we purchase the MedallionNet package pre-cruise at full 100% pricing using the app, will we automatically see the promised 50% discount on the cruise folio as added OBC once we board?
  • And, lastly will such OBC be refundable or non-refundable? In this regard, the latest “Full Terms and conditions” (as promulgated on the Princess website) states, “MedallionNet Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio.” Based on this language, it appears the OBC should indeed be refundable.

We would appreciate hearing the experience of other Platinums or Elites when purchasing a MedallionNet Wi-Fi package beforehand on the app. From what we could discern, if we wait until boarding our cruise to purchase, we are no longer eligible for the discount.

The root cause of your problem is the fact that your Captain's Circle Member Level is incorrect in the MC/Princess App.  You can contact them and see if someone in OCEAN team can fix it.  This has been an ongoing issue and it is very sad that they have not fixed what should be a simple problem. 

Any rebate if you do purchase at 100% must be Refundable OBC.  No question that is the policy, so insist on it if the rebate is posted incorrectly.  It is only fair to be treated the same as customers who are paying the net 50%. 

Another option - if they cannot fix your member level - is to ask for an email that you can purchase MedallionNet on board Day 1 at the Pre-Cruise pricing.  It is the least they (Customer  Relations) can do to make up for the system bug.  For some reason (unknown to me), a phone rep cannot just book the package over the phone and charge you 50%.

Is your cabinmate's member color also wrong?  Some couples have reported one being right and one being wrong.  If so, have the other person order the MedallionNet.

Another note is you wrote as though you are planning to order two separate 1-device packages.  No need to do this.  You should order ONE 4-device package for the same cost and you have additional connections available to you if you have a PC or tablet with you.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, Uncle Sugar said:

We cruised in October. The app recognised me  as Elite and offered internet 50% discount, the problem was the order for 4 devices wouldn’t go through. I went to the online chat but they couldn’t help, I rang princess and they couldn’t activate it and passed it on to there IT Dept.  Email after email with no luck, they said they were having technical problems .  I tried for about 5 weeks and waited until we embarked and went straight to guest services. They signed it up straight away, no problems at all.m