covid

snag

If you have symptoms, you can take your own RAT or contact the medical centre, and the result will determine what happens from there. If negative, the medical centre may require a follow-up test the next day to be sure. 

The only time you will be required to do a test without symptoms is if the ship has elevated levels of covid aboard, and the next port may require everyone aboard to take a RAT.

I contacted the medical centre when I woke up with a sore throat. They sent someone up to do tests - PCR for me, RAT for my husband. I tested negative but was asked to isolate. Next day they tested me again (PCR) and it was positive. My husband had to test every day while we were in isolation and report the result to the medical centre. After I tested negative again we were out of isolation. At some ports my husband had to test before leaving the ship but I was given a card stating I had been cleared by the Medical Centre. All tests were provided by Princess and all treatment was free including antivirals. While we were in isolation all drinks were free - we had the drinks package but this enabled us to get wine by the bottle and canned soft drinks free. Internet was also free for those who didn't have a package. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I contacted the medical centre when I woke up with a sore throat. They sent someone up to do tests - PCR for me, RAT for my husband. I tested negative but was asked to isolate. Next day they tested me again (PCR) and it was positive. My husband had to test every day while we were in isolation and report the result to the medical centre. After I tested negative again we were out of isolation. At some ports my husband had to test before leaving the ship but I was given a card stating I had been cleared by the Medical Centre. All tests were provided by Princess and all treatment was free including antivirals. While we were in isolation all drinks were free - we had the drinks package but this enabled us to get wine by the bottle and canned soft drinks free. Internet was also free for those who didn't have a package. 

I am glad Princess looked after you.

We were on the Pacific Encounter from 5th November for a week. An older gentleman we had met on an earlier cruise was also on board. At our first port (Noumea) he was taken away by ambulance. As he was travelling alone we were concerned how he would get on. Later I emailed him to see if he was OK. He said that on the first night of the cruise he became ill (high temp and high blood pressure) so the on-board doctor decided he should be treated in hospital in Noumea. He was there for a week. He said that P&O looked after him very well and that they organised his flights from Noumea to his home in Cairns. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We were on the Pacific Encounter from 5th November for a week. An older gentleman we had met on an earlier cruise was also on board. At our first port (Noumea) he was taken away by ambulance. As he was travelling alone we were concerned how he would get on. Later I emailed him to see if he was OK. He said that on the first night of the cruise he became ill (high temp and high blood pressure) so the on-board doctor decided he should be treated in hospital in Noumea. He was there for a week. He said that P&O looked after him very well and that they organised his flights from Noumea to his home in Cairns. 

That is good to hear.  When you travel solo, you hope you will be looked after if something happens to you overseas.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's good to know Princess covered the cost of antivirals as I see that they are charging the Americans $700 for antivirals.

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

That's good to know Princess covered the cost of antivirals as I see that they are charging the Americans $700 for antivirals.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian government made them available at the subsidised price.