Stormy Seas, Are You Really Safe When You Go On a Cruise?

jckvpa0

Take it all with a grain of salt... good to at least be aware... I just finished a food safety course for work and it is amazing we are all not dead after learning about all the different strains and such. I do think it is a lack of cleanliness on the part of guests. The highest urine count in a restaurant? The mint bowl on the way out the door... guests leaving use the bathroom and then do not wash their hands....:(

Take it all with a grain of salt... good to at least be aware... I just finished a food safety course for work and it is amazing we are all not dead after learning about all the different strains and such. I do think it is a lack of cleanliness on the part of guests. The highest urine count in a restaurant? The mint bowl on the way out the door... guests leaving use the bathroom and then do not wash their hands....:(

I knew there was a reason I never liked those mints. Now I am glad I didn't!

I don't believe anything I see on the Today Show since I was on a Carnival Legend cruise a few years ago and they covered our return to Port Everglades LIVE because of the sickness running through the ship. In reality, a few dozen had become sick and except for the cleaning and food handling safety changes you wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong on an otherwise nice cruise. The Today Show was going up to people as they left the ship, trying and trying to find passengers to say anything bad.

Did anyone see that recent study the young lady did for school where she tested the ice in a fast food restaurant and it had more bacteria than the toilets in the same restaurant (husband found the link on boing boing)? If you knew what was out there you would never leave home. This has not stopped me from traveling nor has it slowed me down. I have traveled all my life, some to third world countries and the only place I ever got sick was at a Red Lobster in Iowa. Seriously. (I went to Iowa for work, not fun and the RL was next to the lovely hotel my company sprang for).

Every time a few hundred people start puking on a cruise ship the news agencies are all over it. It's MAJOR news. "ARE YOU SAFE ON VACATION?", "ILLNESS ON THE HIGH SEAS", "CRUISE OF A LIFETIME RUINED BY OUTBREAK OF __________". While I am not discounting the effects of getting ill on a hard earned vacation I just don't see it as the horror that some people do. Is a ship a floating "illness" factory? Well if you get 3000 of your closest buddies crammed in a small space for a week people are going to get sick. You hear more about this now than every before because of a few factors:

More cruises than ever before

More people cruising than ever before

Ships are not as good at bottling up the passengers and shutting them up

We, as a people are more litigious than ever before

Cell phones and the INTERNET make instant notification of people back home more possible (no cells do not work at sea but they do in many ports)

and finally

Larger ships mean a larger variety of creepy crawlies can climb abroad with the wide range of people from more diverse parts of the country.

It was. More of the same garbage.

At least they has the sense to compare the figures to the statistics on land, and they pale in comparison.

I was glad they did that, actually made me feel safer about cruising!

It is probably going to be a rehash of the same crap the media has been pushing for the last 6 months.

Almost as irresponsible as posting "Measles on Glory" instead of "German Measles on Glory"

Almost as irresponsible as posting "Measles on Glory" instead of "German Measles on Glory"

What are you talking about? What does Rubella have to do with this?

Personally, I think that it is a little naive to think that anytime you have a couple thosand people crammed into any confined space to think that crime would not occur or disease could not possibly spread. I think that in general cruising does seem to be a safe option and a nice alternative to land based vacations. And as far a disease goes, the best protection is prevention. The best prevention is just to follow good sanitary guidelines, that includes washing hands prior to eating and after using the restroom. It totally grosses me out when I see people leaving the bathroom without washing their hands. Like I really want to be exposed to their urine or worse!

Measles and German Measles

from

http://www.drreddy.com/shots/measles.html

The name German measles has nothing to do with Germany. It comes from the Latin germanus, meaning "similar", since rubella and measles share many symptoms.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_measles

I am scared to death of flying. Hate it!!! It brings on bad thoughts and panic attacks. I live about 30 minutes from Chicago Ohare airport and I am convinced that every airplane is way too low!!! But the things is I love to travel so I fly. I have three trips planned this year and I am flying to all of them.

But I avoid those shows about airplane crashed and disasters at all costs. It will only make me have more irrational thoughts when I fly. I don't know who watches these "Are You Going To Die?" types of shows. Maybe people who arent' scared to death? Or those that are and use these shows as reassurance that they are right to avoid something.

Is it safe to get pregnant on a cruise?

If it is not on a ship with measles

In 2005 1 out of 155.000 passenger where a victim of crime.

699 out of 155.000 people where a victim of a crime on land. Safer on a cruiseship.

Are you guys trying to tell me that I am wrong??? My assumption has always been that as soon as people walk on board...

1. They all become perfect citizens

2. All children are perfect angels

3. All diseases are wiped out of their bodies

4. Diapers magically disappear when they hit water

5. Hands are self washing

6. They forget how to be nasty to others

7. Hot tubs become pregnancy proof ;)

Well...since I am so sorely mistaken maybe I should sit at home for the rest of my life and never risk getting sick on a cruise ship. Apparently it's not at all the same as getting sick from being cooped up with people at work. On a cruise it's a whole different thing I assume.

I am with the last person who wrote about being afraid to fly...but doing it anyway.

They can analyze every last inch of the ships and talk about all the possible disease and all the possible dangers...and it's not going to stop me.

Think of the non smokers with lung cancer....if it's going to happen it will.

Ok...enough from me :)

Archived