Panic Disorder

lenquixote66

The husband of a couple that we have cruised with 12 times has recently developed a panic disorder.On his last cruise while leaving the ship he went back to the ship because he said the wind made him feel as though he was going to be blown into the water.

He states he will no longer cruise.This guy has been cruising 50 years.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I failed to ask if anyone has experienced this problem and if so how they overcame it.

If this particular person no longer wants to cruise and has 50 years experience, then let him be!

He knows what it's like, and he no longer wants to do that.

GC

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

If this particular person no longer wants to cruise and has 50 years experience, then let him be!

He knows what it's like, and he no longer wants to do that.

GC

His family loves cruising and their hope is that he will be able to join them.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

His family loves cruising and their hope is that he will be able to join them.

That may well be.

But.... what about HIS "hope"? 

There are often times when people disagree about "what to do".  There is nothing special here.

There must be at least something else they can all do together other than cruising.

Then, at other times, everyone can do what they prefer - possibly including cruising - with one or some of the others, or not.

Some time ago, there was another discussion about "trying to convince someone to cruise"...  It got the predictable responses...

It would be quite different if someone had never cruised, and especially if they had an inaccurate understanding of what it's like.  That can be a bit trickier, but the decision is still up to *that* individual, and I still have difficulty thinking about any "pressure".

However, if someone knows what it's like, and after 50 years (!) of cruising, surely that is a completely different situation.

Have respect for his autonomy, and don't waste everyone's time (including his time!) pressuring him.  That is very unlikely to be "fun time spent together", to put it mildly.

He knows quite well what cruising is like and he... does NOT want to do it.

Note:  If there is any concern that this is a symptom of some larger potential problem, as suggested by Essiesmom, that is worth investigating, for his more general welfare.

GC

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:10 PM, GeezerCouple said:

That may well be.

But.... what about HIS "hope"? 

There are often times when people disagree about "what to do".  There is nothing special here.

There must be at least something else they can all do together other than cruising.

Then, at other times, everyone can do what they prefer - possibly including cruising - with one or some of the others, or not.

Some time ago, there was another discussion about "trying to convince someone to cruise"...  It got the predictable responses...

It would be quite different if someone had never cruised, and especially if they had an inaccurate understanding of what it's like.  That can be a bit trickier, but the decision is still up to *that* individual, and I still have difficulty thinking about any "pressure".

However, if someone knows what it's like, and after 50 years (!) of cruising, surely that is a completely different situation.

Have respect for his autonomy, and don't waste everyone's time (including his time!) pressuring him.  That is very unlikely to be "fun time spent together", to put it mildly.

He knows quite well what cruising is like and he... does NOT want to do it.

Note:  If there is any concern that this is a symptom of some larger potential problem, as suggested by Essiesmom, that is worth investigating, for his more general welfare.

GC

He shall no longer cruise

Cruising is a nicety, not a necessity.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed chooses not to cruise much anymore, but it has not slowed me down.  She has other interests, as do I, so we travel together when the opportunity presents itself and we travel solo or with friends when that opportunity presents itself.

The main thing is not to miss out on opportunities just because someone else doesn't want to go participate.

I suspect my cruise days are over, or very close to. I know that will impact other people, but I have to do what is right for me. All I can suggest for your friend is that as he obtains treatment for his panic disorder he consider if a cruise is “doable” and perhaps they a short cruise if he “thinks” it might work.

But if people try to pressure him it may make things worse no matter their good intentions.

• Like 1