Celebration! / Live! / Solo! Dec-4-11-2022...

sid_9169

On this sailing, I’ll be visiting two “new to me” ports: Amber Cove and St Martin (Maarten)… I was supposed to call on St Martin (Maarten) back in 2017 on the Vista, but hurricane Irma had other plans. The cruise ended up being delayed by four days and sailed out with only 800 passengers on board. Now, a full five years later, I’ll at last get to visit the strange and wonderful island consisting of two different countries. My initial research tells me that they have plenty of great food and beaches. That sounds right up my alley, and even though I’ve been looking for months, I still feel like I’ll just be “wingin’ it” there… I think it’s one of those islands that has SO MUCH stuff to do, that there’s no way to do it all in one day. I’ve got a few places mapped out, but I have to figure out what the transportation situation on the island is before knowing exactly how many places I can hit in a single day. 

• Like 9

I’ve been to San Juan a couple of times before, but I’ve still only scratched the surface of what they have to offer. I’m getting my hand drawn maps in order for my adventures on shore there… Seems to be a lot of great food and beverages there that I haven’t experienced already, and I’m pretty sure that I’ve only scratched the surface of what they have to offer.

• Like 10

As far as Amber Cove goes, my plan is to stay on the ship and call it a sea day... My past couple of visits to the Dominican Republic haven't been so fruitful, and it'll give me some more time to explore the new ship...

• Like 13

In St Maaten, the touristy place to go is Maho Beach and watch the airplanes land.  

Best beach we found for snorkeling is Dawn Beach.   and if you just want to wander around Phillipsburg, take the water taxi over and then head to Miguel's along the beach front.  

Of course if you want to venture out then Orient Beach with its topless optional vibe would be a place to head for.   And for really good food the lolos along Grand case are the places to go.

Unfortunately, Hilda's Windsor Castle ( Bourdain's rave spot) is no longer ,thanks to Irma.  Sorry you never got to go there.

In San Juan,  you have to find Mr Piragua's Shave iced cart.  .  Barrachina is the rumored home of the Pina Colada.  You need to at least head for the fort El Morro.  We like to have lunch at La Gratis Ya, which looks out over the ocean.  Between El Morro and San Cristobal.

And there's the Bacardi Factory tour, with its samples, really good stuff, not just Bacardi Blanco. 

• Like 7

On Saturday November 19th my plan was to stay up until midnight to complete my online check-in, and try to snag a decent arrival appointment. I had already been drinking some beer, and a couple of margaritas as well, and by 7:30 pm I knew that there was little to no chance I’d actually make it until then. By ten o’clock I just said “okay, I’m done”, and went to bed. I figured that even if I would have made it, the Diamonds and Platinums would have gotten all the earliest time slots anyway. The next morning when I arose, I still ended up getting the 11:00 - 11:30 time slot, so I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. The mad rush for boarding on embarkation day is one of the most “primal” experiences, and hopefully I’ll avoid the worst of the “scrum” when I check in…

• Like 5

I had considered trying to take a seven night Carnival cruise earlier this year so that I could become Platinum on this sailing, but between my budget and lack of paid vacation days, it just didn’t work out. I guess that I’ll reach that milestone on the new Jubilee exactly a year from now. Interestingly, I made it to Platinum on Norwegian in only 6 cruises under their old set of rules, and it’s going to end up taking me 11 with Carnival…

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

In St Maaten, the touristy place to go is Maho Beach and watch the airplanes land.  

Best beach we found for snorkeling is Dawn Beach.   and if you just want to wander around Phillipsburg, take the water taxi over and then head to Miguel's along the beach front.  

Of course if you want to venture out then Orient Beach with its topless optional vibe would be a place to head for.   And for really good food the lolos along Grand case are the places to go.

Unfortunately, Hilda's Windsor Castle ( Bourdain's rave spot) is no longer ,thanks to Irma.  Sorry you never got to go there.

In San Juan,  you have to find Mr Piragua's Shave iced cart.  .  Barrachina is the rumored home of the Pina Colada.  You need to at least head for the fort El Morro.  We like to have lunch at La Gratis Ya, which looks out over the ocean.  Between El Morro and San Cristobal.

And there's the Bacardi Factory tour, with its samples, really good stuff, not just Bacardi Blanco. 

Hi 🙂

I agree with so much of what you wrote! We love Dawn Beach & our favorite is Orient Beach. Love Orient Beach. For rookie, touristy cruisers, yes there's Maho Beach, to watch planes land, LOL!🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I had considered trying to take a seven night Carnival cruise earlier this year so that I could become Platinum on this sailing, but between my budget and lack of paid vacation days, it just didn’t work out. I guess that I’ll reach that milestone on the new Jubilee exactly a year from now. Interestingly, I made it to Platinum on Norwegian in only 6 cruises under their old set of rules, and it’s going to end up taking me 11 with Carnival…

Our Cruise in January will be our first as Platinum. FINALLY!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

On this sailing, I’ll be visiting two “new to me” ports: Amber Cove and St Martin (Maarten)… I was supposed to call on St Martin (Maarten) back in 2017 on the Vista, but hurricane Irma had other plans. The cruise ended up being delayed by four days and sailed out with only 800 passengers on board. Now, a full five years later, I’ll at last get to visit the strange and wonderful island consisting of two different countries. My initial research tells me that they have plenty of great food and beaches. That sounds right up my alley, and even though I’ve been looking for months, I still feel like I’ll just be “wingin’ it” there… I think it’s one of those islands that has SO MUCH stuff to do, that there’s no way to do it all in one day. I’ve got a few places mapped out, but I have to figure out what the transportation situation on the island is before knowing exactly how many places I can hit in a single day. 

In case you're on the look out for new places to visit in St Maarten, a good friend that frequents the island recommend we check out Blue ***** Bar, it's near the pier I believe. We were going to visit when we were there last August, the day before our honeymoon cruise on Celebrity Summit, but our hotel was further away than we expected and never made it. An option for you anyway. Have a great trip!

• Like 3

Just now, prbffd28 said:

In case you're on the look out for new places to visit in St Maarten, a good friend that frequents the island recommend we check out Blue ***** Bar, it's near the pier I believe. We were going to visit when we were there last August, the day before our honeymoon cruise on Celebrity Summit, but our hotel was further away than we expected and never made it. An option for you anyway. Have a great trip!

I apologize, forgot the rules for language applied to restaurants too. The ***** in the name is a word for  "female dog".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, figmentfreak said:

I’m in for the review and will be cruising along on Celebration at the same time.   Very excited. 

Come say hello if you see me on board... I can usually be found near the food and / or beverages...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

As far as Amber Cove goes, my plan is to stay on the ship and call it a sea day... My past couple of visits to the Dominican Republic haven't been so fruitful, and it'll give me some more time to explore the new ship...

See you on board!

I have an excursion booked for Amber Cove but I may end up canceling it. It's the same one I did on the Mardi Gras back in July and I promised myself I'd make sure to get a little more "me time" in on this sailing than I typically do on trips with the girls.

• Like 2

No time like the present to start throwing stuff in the suitcase... I'm going to have to pair down my selections, as I'm going "carry on only" this sailing. I'll probably spend most of my time wearing swimming trunks and tshirts, so I should be good to go. I'm only bringing one pair of long pants other than the ones I'll be wearing on the plane...

PXL_20221201_220357671.jpg

• Like 6