White Pass Railway vs Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

all4hockey54r

We are trying to decide between the White Pass Railway and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. Does anyone have experiences with both? We are very adventurous so Glacier Point sounds great but everyone is telling us that White Pass is a must. Any suggestions?

We took the Glacier Point Safari and really enjoyed it.   One of our favorites, I can recommend....... A great up close glacier experience and it was fun hiking, canoeing, etc. up to the glacier....   We have not been on the White Pass however...

I would say Glacier Point Safari also.

People fall asleep on the train ride back.

I have done both and they are entirely different but Glacier Point Safari is definitely funner/more adventurous.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, all4hockey54r said:

We are trying to decide between the White Pass Railway and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. Does anyone have experiences with both? We are very adventurous so Glacier Point sounds great but everyone is telling us that White Pass is a must. Any suggestions?

Agree with others, Glacier Point

The train ride is beautiful but nothing about it is adventurous. The ocean raft adventure in Skagway was super fun and way more informative than I expected, you might be able to add that in your day as well. 

460565d8-d56e-4bdd-a2db-6e76d879603d-tour-image-ocean-raft-adventure-2.jpeg

8d81f1a8-87ba-4302-81b8-82e9b6d90599-tour-image-ocean-raft-adventure-10.jpeg

On another note ~ If you're interested. 

Out of Juneau we did a Canoe, Ice Cave and Glacier Hike with Adventure Bound. It was a highlight of my life. Loved it. Not sure if they're still offering this but worth a little research. Your adventurous side will be happy! 😊

20799415_1547789738575792_3027684161705926557_n.jpeg

20799791_1547789791909120_4770330898862154448_n.jpeg

20842246_1547788315242601_5109383924252933542_n.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 4:12 AM, cw2go said:

Agree with others, Glacier Point

The train ride is beautiful but nothing about it is adventurous. The ocean raft adventure in Skagway was super fun and way more informative than I expected, you might be able to add that in your day as well. 

460565d8-d56e-4bdd-a2db-6e76d879603d-tour-image-ocean-raft-adventure-2.jpeg

8d81f1a8-87ba-4302-81b8-82e9b6d90599-tour-image-ocean-raft-adventure-10.jpeg

is the company name Ocean raft adventures?   looks fun!

On 12/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, all4hockey54r said:

There are at least two versions of the White Pass Railway.  We took the VIP version and heartily recommend it.  There is only one railway car for this tour and it has it's own dedicated tour guide.  The other version shares the guide across multiple cars and the guide maynot be in the same car as  you are.  Having your own guide means  you can ask questions.  The refreshments are very upscale.  Multiple alcoholic beverages, all included.  Lots of snacks, even sandwiches.  The seating in the regular tour are just bench seats similar to a high school football stadium.  The VIP seating is individual lounge chairs that rotate, IIRC, even recline.

On 12/2/2022 at 1:01 PM, all4hockey54r said:

We are trying to decide between the White Pass Railway and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. * * * [E]veryone is telling us that White Pass is a must.

I am a railway enthusiast, so my choice would be the White Pass & Yukon Railway. But you might not share my interest, and if not, then my choice is really irrelevant. Moreover, I have often criticized the practice of many tourist organizations, and even travelers themselves, that something is a "must see."

Elsewhere, in San Francisco, I have an attraction to the cable-drawn street railways arising out of my particular interest in both the technology and effect of that technology on the transportation systems and urban development. In other words, I have an understanding supporting my particular interest. However, when I look at the passengers on those cable cars, most seem to be ignorant and riding only because they were told to do so, that the cars are a "must see." The practice has resulted in the tourism industry destroying the cable car system, removing the cars from being a part of the city's transportation system into being a Disneyland ride.

In Skagway I see many of the same characteristics. Most of the passengers of the White Pass & Yukon Route are riding because they were told to do so, but are otherwise largely ignorant of the transportation technology and the development of this part of Alaska. The tourist industry has turned what once was an important part of the region's transportation system (before 1978 there was not even a highway connecting Skagway with Whitehorse, and the railroad was a necessity) into a Disneyland ride. This only been exacerbated with the railroad's acquisition by Carnival Corp. as such an amusement.

True, both in San Francisco and in Alaska there were times when these transportation systems were threatened with discontinuance on economic grounds (the San Francisco cable cars in the late 1940s and early 1950s; the White Pass & Yukon Route in the mid 1980s). Arguably, the tourism industry provided the economic oomph that saved both transportation systems from oblivion. So there is some value to having tourists--even if ignorant--to provide the necessary economic support. So I have mixed emotions, at times deriding the pesky tourists and the "must see" promotions, and at other times thankful that the systems remain running because of those tourists.

I don't think that the White Pass & Yukon Route is a "must see." If you like trains, take a trip. Perhaps it might make you a rail enthusiast and get accepted as a member of that club. But if you have no particular interest in sitting in a passenger car, or of scurrying about the train to take that perfect railway photograph, then give it a pass. Listen to your self, not to others.

• Like 2

Echoing GTJ - - -

Yes I too am a railroad enthusiast and have a vested interest in a vintage steam locomotive

with a fleet of private varnish cars.

WPYRR take it once for the experience -

Another cruise take it twice for another alternative view

i.e. Bus up train back or excursion beyond Fraser -

Not a train buff think of other excursions on subsequent visits -

Or on that only one time trip think of alternatives to use both -

First time Alaska cruise - Yes by all means take it all in as much as you can -

Returning visits culture your shore activities perhaps in missed opportunities of that first -

Yes it is nice to support the retail merchandise but there is a great deal more of Alaska

than diamond merchants and novelty trinkets - your (photo) memory will thank you with

the bear eagle otter whale sightings - outstanding scenic views of Alaska glaciers -

rather than that trinket gathering dust on a back shelf mantel !

Thinking of those "MUST SEE" events excursions are these in their original form or just

some commercial enterprise -

Visiting Alaska on a one life time cruise - plan carefully don't be mislead by that man

behind the curtain barking out "MUST SEE MUST DO" !

Overkill ?

I don't think so - be happy bringing back those memories -

pleased with how your time and dollar was spent !

• Like 1

I think there's at least one independent company that links the railway with a bike tour, i.e. go up on the train but bike back to Skagway.  It's not offered by NCL but I'm not sure about other cruiselines.

I found it on alaska shore tours... I'm considering it as I don't want to wind up doing too many excursions where I'll just be sitting/standing. 

Anyhow it would cover the MUST DO railway combined with a wee bit more action via a 15 mile downhill bike ride.

• Like 1