First-time cruiser! A few questions (mostly re: gratuities, etc).

Starstruckharper

11 hours ago, Starstruckharper said:

One of the things I do know: If you want to get to/from the Brooklyn cruise terminal and don't want to mess with NYC cabs, NYC ferry runs a regular route between Red Hook (steps away from the terminal), Corlear's hook, Governor's Island and Wall Street/Pier 11. Here's a map, and linked is the schedule:https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

System-Map_WinterMap_Greenpoint_closed.j

We had great plans to do this, but when we got out of the terminal there was a row of green Brooklyn cabs offering a fixed fare to midtown so we took it. Would've needed two ferries to get E34St, then a cab so...

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:19 PM, buchanan101 said:

They did exactly as I said they did. Double charged until refunds started reappearing on my card after about 10 working days. They replied to my email saying that this was their policy (quoted 7 to 10 working days, to contact them if hadn’t been credited after 10 days). This was on one 7 day crossing. These weren’t “holds” on the card but actual charges. 

We this was 2 long cruises this year on the QE - the card invovled was a pre-pay Wise Visa (and Mastercard -  my partner has an older card  before they switched providers for some reason). So I do think its the card rather than the bank 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, buchanan101 said:

We had great plans to do this, but when we got out of the terminal there was a row of green Brooklyn cabs offering a fixed fare to midtown so we took it. Would've needed two ferries to get E34St, then a cab so...

What time did you get off of the ship? I need to get back to the train station and get back home, so I want to know which train I need. How long is the ferry ride? Then how long is it to get to Grand Central?

5 minutes ago, skleeb said:

What time did you get off of the ship? I need to get back to the train station and get back home, so I want to know which train I need. How long is the ferry ride? Then how long is it to get to Grand Central?

If "back home" is in Maryland as it seems, you would want to get to Penn Station, not Grand Central.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If "back home" is in Maryland as it seems, you would want to get to Penn Station, not Grand Central.

See, yes, I need help. I will purchase my ticket home depending on the time I get back to Penn Station(thank you, navybankerteacher).

34 minutes ago, skleeb said:

See, yes, I need help. I will purchase my ticket home depending on the time I get back to Penn Station(thank you, navybankerteacher).

If you are heading to Baltimore, you’ll have a lot of trains to choose from. The more in advance you buy your ticket, the less expensive it is likely to be -  by by quite a few $ in some cases.  You can probably be certain of being able to make a 1:00 PM or later train, so you might want to plan on something around that time and  save money by booking your ticket  now. You will have an opportunity to grab lunch if you get to Penn Station much earlier —- while not having to sweat possible delays.

As an example - a coach seat on a Northeast Regional train from NY to Baltimore bought now for a train in the next few day would be $104.   The same seat for a few months out would cost $28.  

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, skleeb said:

From the schedule, it looks like the ferry takes about 15 minutes to get to Pier 11 in Manhattan - from there it's a 20 minute subway ride to Penn Station.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, skleeb said:

You should also think through how much luggage you'll be wrangling. The subways are not particularly friendly for luggage. Personally, I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and take a cab.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

You should also think through how much luggage you'll be wrangling. The subways are not particularly friendly for luggage. Personally, I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and take a cab.

Good advice:  trundling your bags to the ferry, and then to the subway station, then boarding and getting off at Penn Station - can be done;  but remember: you booked a cruise to have a good time - why beat youself to save a few dollars at the end.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 2:01 AM, skleeb said:

We were front of the timed disembarkation which ran a bit late (8:15). Self disembark started at 7. You are supposed to book slots for that.

There were cabs (mostly green ones) waiting when we got off, so you should be fine getting a cab - as someone else said, why lug luggage any other way (and the ferry from Red Hook gets you to Wall Street or change and get to 34th Street on the east side, so either way still metro or a cab whilst in Manhattan

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

I'd get a cab - a lot cheaper than Cunard arranged cars

Edited by buchanan101

7 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

We were front of the timed disembarkation which ran a bit late (8:15). Self disembark started at 7. You are supposed to book slots for that.

There were cabs (mostly green ones) waiting when we got off, so you should be fine getting a cab - as someone else said, why lug luggage any other way (and the ferry from Red Hook gets you to Wall Street or change and get to 34th Street on the east side, so either way still metro or a cab whilst in Manhattan

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

I'd get a cab - a lot cheaper than Cunard arranged cars

On 2/3/2023 at 9:09 PM, navybankerteacher said:

This is very helpful. Looks like I will take a cab directly back to Penn Station where I will board a train back home with a ticket I purchased way in advance. I'll look at the schedule, but will probably be safe with a ticket after 11 AM.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, skleeb said:

This is very helpful. Looks like I will take a cab directly back to Penn Station where I will board a train back home with a ticket I purchased way in advance. I'll look at the schedule, but will probably be safe with a ticket after 11 AM.

I think we were dropping off luggage at a Times Square hotel by 9:30 after disembarking at 8:15

Timed disembarkation is prioritised for Grills so time may depend on how you are travelling, and we managed to get at the front of the queue by judicial hanging about in the right spot...

Apple tags* in our luggage helped find our cases in the Brooklyn warehouse. Next time will self disembark

(*brilliant invention - just back from skiing in Austria and I knew my bags/boots/skis had arrived at both Salzburg and Gatwick shortly after landing - my skis were temporarily lost last year, so the Apple Tags this year saved any worry)

Edited by buchanan101

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

I think we were dropping off luggage at a Times Square hotel by 9:30 after disembarking at 8:15

Timed disembarkation is prioritised for Grills so time may depend on how you are travelling, and we managed to get at the front of the queue by judicial hanging about in the right spot...

Apple tags* in our luggage helped find our cases in the Brooklyn warehouse. Next time will self disembark

(*brilliant invention - just back from skiing in Austria and I knew my bags/boots/skis had arrived at both Salzburg and Gatwick shortly after landing - my skis were temporarily lost last year, so the Apple Tags this year saved any worry)

Well on your head be it!🙂

Your comment has motivated me to purchase some Air Tags.  Just hope this tech idiot can get them to work with our Apple stuff, which I did check was compatible, before buying the tags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Well on your head be it!🙂

Your comment has motivated me to purchase some Air Tags.  Just hope this tech idiot can get them to work with our Apple stuff, which I did check was compatible, before buying the tags.

They are easy to set up!

They have two levels of location - one is where they pick up nearby Apple products and the location is then fed back to you if you check (so within a few minutes of landing at Salzburg I knew all my luggage was somewhere at the airport)

Then when you are close (not sure how close - about 5 metres I think) your phone in the "Find My" app shows you range and direction for the tag

IMG_4618.PNG

IMG_4616.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, skleeb said:

What exactly is self-disembarking? I'm guessing that you must take your luggage off the ship by yourself? Is that it? And you leave earlier?

Yes that's it.

I'm guessing you get off at Red Hook.

We were told 7am or 7.15am for Southampton. By time we called pursers desk we were given 7.15am.

We saw a queue for 7am on way back from breakfast. When we got back down we had a clear walk off.

Not sure how long you have after that but I get the impression they prefer those self-disembarking to be off before the main disembarkation starts.

Thanks for clarification. Glad to know I will have time to have a little breakfast before departure from the grand lady. 

45 minutes ago, D&N said:

Yes that's it.

I'm guessing you get off at Red Hook.

We were told 7am or 7.15am for Southampton. By time we called pursers desk we were given 7.15am.

We saw a queue for 7am on way back from breakfast. When we got back down we had a clear walk off.

Not sure how long you have after that but I get the impression they prefer those self-disembarking to be off before the main disembarkation starts.