Just walking of the ship in Freeport and Nassau

sapete

We will be on the Carnival Dream in March and we would like to know what is around the ship.  Can we just walk off the ship and do things near by in Freeport and Nassau?  We found we could do this in Mexico (Caribbean) and Alaska and were wondering if it is the same in the Bahamas?

20 hours ago, sapete said:

We will be on the Carnival Dream in March and we would like to know what is around the ship.  Can we just walk off the ship and do things near by in Freeport and Nassau?  We found we could do this in Mexico (Caribbean) and Alaska and were wondering if it is the same in the Bahamas?

Not sure if it still is, but the port area was under construction in Nassau when we were there last spring.  So there's nothing there.  But there are restaurants and shops just outside the port.  The straw market is not too far, nor is the free beach Junkanoo.

Freeport has a decent little port area with Senor Frog's, couple of other places to grab food/drinks and a lot of little shops.  It's industrial outside of the port.

Edited by Cuckoo7

I was in Nassau December and work was proceeding since I was there in June but can't imagine it will be finished in 6 months but this is a whole new area and does not affect the Nassau that was there before construction started.  Plenty to do with short walk e.g. Fish Fry, Junkanoo beach, restaurants and bars, pirate museum, Watlings distillery, and plenty of shops and straw market. It is easy to walk past construction and you are in Nassau so I would not let the construction keep you on the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Nassau at the end of November.  There's still construction going on, between that and the fact that there were 5 ships in port made it a total cluster f&^% getting in and out of the port area.  Just outside of the port area there's plenty of shopping, if that's your thing it could keep you occupied for a few hours, and also plenty of choices for getting a meal or drinks.

Personally, I'm seriously considering not even getting off the ship the next time we're there in February.  

Edited by groundloop

• 2 months later...

We were just in both ports.  Nassau is still under construction and there is not much at the port.  We did a walking tour around Nassau but be careful as their aren't sidewalks everywhere and the cars are not super friendly to people walking.  We had no problems, but keep an eye out.

We booked a private excursion in Freeport through Mamma Gal and it was wonderful!

We just got back as well for my 2nd time to both.  We again didn't do much at Freeport but ventured out even further at Nassau.  We went to the Queen's Staircase and the forts, then back to a number of shops, then to Junkanoo for a bit and down further to the Fish Fry.  Had a fantastic time.