Reliefband

cookiersmom

If my DW was replying to this, she’d tell you how much she loves her Reliefband!! I love it too because now she rarely has any motion sickness. The scopolamine patch made her dizzy, which doesn’t play well with motion sickness! She does continue to bring Bonine (and maybe some natural motion sickness products) when we cruise but rarely uses them as Reliefband does the trick.

I’ve also successfully used it when a medication I was on would upset my stomach and the band helped with that.

As an aside: DW just informed me she forgot to bring her Reliefband with her to have after her surgery tomorrow (we’re staying at a hotel tonight to avoid a long and early drive for her arrival at surgery center); now she’s hoping she has no problem with anesthesia as then she’d have to take a pill for it that has its own set of side effects.

If you have some FSA or HSA monies to use up, I’m pretty sure we used it when we got her band.

• Thanks 1

I have not used the patch but I have been using the ReliefBand for over two decades (with a few year gap in the middle because of temporary changes with the band).  For me, the ReliefBand works really well and I love that it has no side effects since it isn't a medication.  I even use it when I travel in cars and other situations where I get motion sickness.  I love that the latest version has a rechargeable battery as prior versions took large watch type batteries that would last only a couple days.

Other than the ReliefBand, I have tried Sea bands and Psi Bands that only provided a little relief.  I have also used Bonine with success.

• Thanks 1

I’ve used ReliefBands for years. I get motion sickness very easily. I can get sick just watching television and I can’t watch a computer screen scrolling. I use it for cruising (only wear it when the ship is moving), boat rides and flying. I would be miserable without it. I’ve always traveled with two bands and a bunch of batteries.The batteries last about four days for me. Just bought two of the new rechargeable ReliefBands.

Sea Bands and ginger don’t help me at all. Haven’t tried a patch, can have nasty side effects. Pretty sure you’re not supposed to drink alcohol while wearing a patch. 

Bonine works well too. Sometimes I use both.

Dramamine makes me way too drowsy.  Had trouble staying awake for dinner.

Dock B, hopefully your DW will recover uneventfully from her anesthesia. I had general anesthesia once and did not have any nausea.

Edited by raudacruise
  • Thanks 1

Without getting into a long discussion of avoiding seasickness, let me just comment on the OP's questions. 

Some people get very good results with the Seabands or reliefbands.  If they work for you, use them.

As for the patch:  this is some very strong medicine that is really a medicine of last resort.  Try the other alternatives first: ginger pills, ginger cookies, Dramamine, Bonine, etc.   The scopolamine patch works really well for many people who cannot find any other solution, however, it has some very serious side effects for some users, including, but not limited to, hallucinations.  It is not the first thing to try, it is the last thing to try when all else has failed.  IF you are intent on using it, use it on dry land for a few days to see how you react.

As I implied at the start, there are many other solutions to seasickness, and if you want, I will put that information here.

15 minutes ago, cookiersmom said:

Thanks.  That study is from 2004. Maybe they have different technology now?

You're welcome.  The underlying "technology" behind reliefband - acustimulation - is unchanged.  Their claim is that by emitting pulses that stimulate the median  nerve in the wrist it reduces nausea and motion sickness.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

I have used all the remedies listed in this post. I used the patch and had disastrous results for two summers in a row. (The 2nd summer cruise I used the patch again because I didn’t realize what happened to me was patch related.) To shorten a long story, removing the patch after the cruise caused me to have such severe vertigo that I had constant vomiting and couldn’t function for two months. My doc and I did not associate the symptoms with removing the patch, but we figured it out when it happened again. Both times I wore the patch for almost two weeks. That’s why I’m sharing this — since you mentioned a long cruise. I’d be careful of wearing a patch for a long cruise.

The relief band did give me some relief but I generally needed to combine Bonine with the band.  I plan to get a new band for our upcoming summer cruise.