travelmarvel Polaris - first impression

Queen of my Heart

Just arrived at the Polaris. It's very sleek, modern and unfussy in decor. The ensuite is accessed through a smoked glass sliding door which is a very good use of space. List of additional excursions around the 70 - 80 euro mark. Passengers a mix of British, Australians and, I believe, some Americans. About to leave nurnberg in direction of Budapest. Please ask if you have any questions.

2 hours ago, Queen of my Heart said:

It's very sleek, modern and unfussy in decor.

That is what she looked to me like on the Rhine when I spotted her some time ago. No questions right now.

Thank you for saying hello from Nuremberg. Hope your journey to the ship was smooth. It may snow in Regensburg late tomorrow. Have a great time.

notamermaid

OK, I'm confused. Polaris is an Expedition ship going to Arctic and Antarctic waters from North America. What's she doing in Nuremberg?

Oh, a Google has found that Global River Cruising has a boat called Polaris. I guess that's the one you're on.

Hearing it has a glass door to the bathroom means I won't be booking it. Glass doors to the loo are increasingly common and I hate them. I guess the designers haven't tried sleeping in such rooms when their partner needs to go to the loo in the night and the light floods the room....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Info and photos from German forum Binnenschifferforum: https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?100639-Travelmarvel-Polaris-KFGS-02338263

Were you able to see Nuremberg Christmas market and if so was it part of the transfer?

notamermaid

Yes, nurnberg Xmas market was in full swing and rammed even in the daytime. The passengers who are doing the full Amsterdam to Budapest cruise had the morning in the city. Those of us joining the cruise there arrived yesterday, spent the night in a city centre hotel and joined the boat today. So we had yesterday afternoon and evening to get the full market experience!

2 hours ago, pontac said:

OK, I'm confused. Polaris is an Expedition ship going to Arctic and Antarctic waters from North America. What's she doing in Nuremberg?

Oh, a Google has found that Global River Cruising has a boat called Polaris. I guess that's the one you're on.

Hearing it has a glass door to the bathroom means I won't be booking it. Glass doors to the loo are increasingly common and I hate them. I guess the designers haven't tried sleeping in such rooms when their partner needs to go to the loo in the night and the light floods the room....

Yes, this is the one I am on. I have just checked and there is no light leakage through the door. The bronze colour frosting is sufficiently opaque, but I will ask my fellow shipmates who are travelling as a pair if they have experienced any problems.

14 hours ago, pontac said:

There are quite a few ships called Polaris. Some have a "first name" like the expedition ship Viking Polaris.

In the OPs case it´s the river cruise ship Travelmarvel Polaris ;-).

steamboats

Yesterday was Regensburg which was busy, but so attractive with the lights and lovely shops. Unfortunately we weren't able to moor in the town itself as the harbour master said it was full and had to go 12 miles further on to Bach. Apt laid on shuttle buses which was helpful. Today most people have either gone to Salzburg or cesky krumlov but it's very, very cold out so I am happy to stay on board and watch the snow dusted villages and hills slide by as we wend our way to Linz.

More on the boat itself. The cabins are very well planned and the shower probably the biggest I've had on a River cruise. The only thing missing is a small retractable washing line for drying socks, smalls etc and anything you don't want to send to the very reasonably priced laundry. The open plan layout of the public areas gives a feeling of spaciousness but I think it makes the restaurant a bit cafeteria like. The buffet is at one end rather than down the middle so there is nothing to break up the space or absorb sound. Dinner especially can get quite noisy with almost all 135 passengers present together (the max is c.180).

Queen:  Glad that you're enjoying your trip so far.  Feels pretty neat to be on the ship with just a few other passengers while you head down the river?  I've skipped a tour and stayed on board, imagining it was a private yacht.  The crew is typically in a good mood, as they can go about their work while joking, they don't have to be as serious.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  Going on Travelmarvel next year on European Gems Cruise.  Looking forward to to it.  How good was the food?  DId you eat in all the different venues?  What were the bar prices like outside of meal times?

Hi. Apologies for the late reply - only just come back up to periscope depth after the festive season. Regarding the food, I would say that it was largely ok though the buffets tended to be unimaginative, especially the salads. There were only two eateries as far as I was aware - the main dining room and the Irish bar. The bar food was principally savoury pies of various sorts, toasties etc. Typical mainstream pub fare.  The main dining room was buffet breakfast and lunch, then table service for dinner. The bar prices were reasonable in my view, possibly slightly below those of other cruise lines I have been on but not dramatically so.

The addtional (not included in the price) tours seemed quite pricy to me and I was somewhat shocked at the size of the bills that some people seemed to be getting on the last day. I suppose that two people on 70/80 Euro tours does rack up pretty fast.

If there is anything else that you would like to know please do just ask.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say that they were largely casual. I didn't see anyone in suit & tie or cocktail dress for dinner. The passengers were primarily Aussies and British, with a sprinkling of Americans and no nationality seemed to be into dressing up. People might put on a clean shirt and trousers/skirt for the evening but that seemed to be as far as it went. If I was going with them again I wouldn't bother taking anything smart dressy. If you're going in the summer then a light cotton frock would be nice but more for keeping cool than because of a (unwritten) dress code.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Q om H,

We are booked on Polaris from Amsterdam to Budapest in the spring and I would like to ask a few questions if I may?

What is the evening entertainment like? Somewhere it mentions dancing, do they have live music?

Did you attend the optional trip to a Mozart and Strauss concert in Vienna?

The information I have been given mentions three dining venues, Panorama Restaurant ,Vista Lounge and Irish bar, did you only have two options? 

Thank you,

Sentosa

Hi Sentosa. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

There was evening entertainment each day and was definitely of a better standard than most river cruises that I have been on, when it tends to be a pianist playing rather dated material from musicals, ballads etc. The two entertainment staff were young and enthusiastic and I understand that there was some dancing, impromptu singing. I think the music was recorded and not from live bands. There were also visits from a German Bavarian dance and traditional music quartet (excellent), quizzes and so on. There was something happening every evening after dinner in the lounge. I didn't go to most events, partly because I was tired after a full day of off-board activities but also because, travelling solo, I needed a bit of time to myself and my own thoughts at the end of the day.

I didn't go to the optional Mozart music event, mainly because I didn't bring what I think would have been suitable clothing for it. It was also fairly pricy. But I remember that those who did go spoke highly of it. There seem to be two variations on this concert - one which is  straightforward music and the other partly an entertainment with the musicians clowning around a bit. You might like to probe a bit on the nature of the event if you have particular expectations.

Yes, sorry I did mislead a little about eating venues. I forgot about the lounge, which is a much more restricted version of what is on offer in the restaurant. I never ate there so it slipped my mind.

If there is anythind else that you would like to know do please ask.

Thank you so much for a great reply.

You have given me lots to think about.

We are going with another couple and are meeting up soon the discuss the cruise.

I am sure we will have more questions after that.

Thank you again,

Kind regards,

Sentosa

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Queen of my Heart,

hope you have lots of happy memories of Belfast 💖

Had a chat with our travelling companions and we have a couple of queries .

Did you do any of the Optional Tours?

Any included tours that you didn't particularly enjoy?

We want to try Cake and Coffee in Vienna, any recommendations?

We are planning on going to the Mozart Concert in Vienna.

What time were you off the ship in Budapest for you airport transfer? Our flight is not until 3 10pm.

Is the airport far from the town? 

Thank you .

Anne

Sorry to but in but the best for cake and coffee is Restaurant Sacha for wonderful Viennese coffee and Sachertorte it may be a bit like sitting in a restaurant in St Marks Square, you know it’s going to be expensive but you only do it once so savour and enjoy.

Thank you CPT trips.

That would be a good option, hadn't considered that.

Do you know if there is a Taxi rank near the port?

We have an airport transfer included , so would have to be sure we could make our own way to the Airport.