Newby Questions

almostretired

I tried the search engine but was unsuccessful.  This is only our second HAL cruise, the last being 15 years ago.  The cruise line we are most familiar with went bankrupt and was all inclusive on beverages, allowing us to bring wine on board in whatever quantity we wanted.  The HAL FAQ on bringing wine on board is rather confusing - cannot bring on board, can bring a limited amount (no mention of what is limited).  It does state that there is a corkage fee if you have your own wine.  We do have a signature beverage package (in a Neptune Suite) so HAL make money if we drink your wine.  Any first hand accounts?  

Also, as we are on board over NYE, we planned on going formal.  We will be alone?

Appreciate the assistance.  Many thanks.

34 minutes ago, almostretired said:

I tried the search engine but was unsuccessful.  This is only our second HAL cruise, the last being 15 years ago.  The cruise line we are most familiar with went bankrupt and was all inclusive on beverages, allowing us to bring wine on board in whatever quantity we wanted.  The HAL FAQ on bringing wine on board is rather confusing - cannot bring on board, can bring a limited amount (no mention of what is limited).  It does state that there is a corkage fee if you have your own wine.  We do have a signature beverage package (in a Neptune Suite) so HAL make money if we drink your wine.  Any first hand accounts?  

Also, as we are on board over NYE, we planned on going formal.  We will be alone?

Appreciate the assistance.  Many thanks.

We had a SBP in a Neptune suite so the wines that would be fee were deducted from daily count (15) without fee. You can bring your own wine with a $20, per bottle, corkage fee. (I bet if you try to bring more than a case, someone will stop you so prepare to bring documentation that does not show specific limit).  I have alot of higher priced wines, so $20 compared to the markup of HAL prices would not prevent me from bringing on board. (We used to bring cases pre covid). However I decided that since I had the SBP, I would save my wines for home and try some different wines on the ship. Some I enjoyed, some I didn't but with 15 limit per day, I could leave a glass and order a different glass to try. It was like a cruise with "free" wine tasting by the glass. 

You will be happy to see the number of tux and formal dress for NYE onboard. However don't be surprised by those walking around in shorts and t-shirts as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  Reova - we did also figuring a bottle a day. Even brought wine to Europe.   There was never an issue as all alcohol was included in the cruise price.  I will try six bottles. And I agree with the prices - large on-board markup.

Cruiser Bruce - I tried the search but must not have found the correct words or order to find an answer.  That said, I appreciate your note and will continue looking.  More concerned with the poorly worded HAL FAQ on this.  

2 hours ago, almostretired said:

The HAL FAQ on bringing wine on board is rather confusing

I don't read anything confusing within the FAQ's.

Alcohol cannot be brought onboard except etc etc. $20 per 750ml bottle.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

3 hours ago, almostretired said:

...The HAL FAQ on bringing wine on board is rather confusing - cannot bring on board, can bring a limited amount (no mention of what is limited)....  We do have a signature beverage package.

It's poorly worded but note the "except" as @VMax1700pointed out. Wine or champagne, 750ml standard bottles. The corkage is $20/bottle, which works for very low-priced or somewhat high-cost wines but winds up being sixes for us mid-value drinkers. Especially since we had our first SBP, we no longer carry on.

Speaking of which, if you ARE bringing wine on board, it must be in your carry-luggage. Even if it is a case, you must navigate it through the checkpoints yourself. You will then be directed to the pay-up desk for the corkage, and each bottle will get a sticker. After which you can drink it anywhere on the ship, and they will even keep the bottles in the "cellar" to be brought to you. 

As far as NYE, where will you be cruising? We will be off Cabo San Lucas, and my husband will wear a very crisp Mexican Wedding Shirt -- so not black-tie but not grungy at all!

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't read anything confusing within the FAQ's.

Alcohol cannot be brought onboard except etc etc. $20 per 750ml bottle.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Thanks.  If not confusing, then can you define what quantity may be considered excessive.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

It's poorly worded but note the "except" as @VMax1700pointed out. Wine or champagne, 750ml standard bottles. The corkage is $20/bottle, which works for very low-priced or somewhat high-cost wines but winds up being sixes for us mid-value drinkers. Especially since we had our first SBP, we no longer carry on.

Speaking of which, if you ARE bringing wine on board, it must be in your carry-luggage. Even if it is a case, you must navigate it through the checkpoints yourself. You will then be directed to the pay-up desk for the corkage, and each bottle will get a sticker. After which you can drink it anywhere on the ship, and they will even keep the bottles in the "cellar" to be brought to you. 

As far as NYE, where will you be cruising? We will be off Cabo San Lucas, and my husband will wear a very crisp Mexican Wedding Shirt -- so not black-tie but not grungy at all!

Thanks.  Most informative as was Reova's.  I could not find anything about bringing with carry on luggage.  We are on for 16 days so moving 18 bottles with carry on would be difficult.  I hoped that, if we paid for the drink package, they might waive the corkage fee. Still, a pretty good deal as the wine prices appear steep.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

My wife wants formal thus tuxedo.  First time we have been out formal since pre-covid. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, almostretired said:

Thanks.  Most informative as was Reova's.  I could not find anything about bringing with carry on luggage.  We are on for 16 days so moving 18 bottles with carry on would be difficult.  I hoped that, if we paid for the drink package, they might waive the corkage fee. Still, a pretty good deal as the wine prices appear steep.

Of note is that your carry-on SIZED luggage does not have to be carried on -- it can be tagged and checked with the porters at the entrance to the port. Just have a tote with any medicines, valuables, and anything else you could not stand to lose or have be delayed until after dinner.

If you are driving and there is port parking (not a given), one person could be left off with the case of wine on a trolley, plus a six-bottle carrier and the above mentioned tote, while the other person parks the car. After transferring the suitcases to the porters that is.

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Of note is that your carry-on SIZED luggage does not have to be carried on -- it can be tagged and checked with the porters at the entrance to the port. Just have a tote with any medicines, valuables, and anything else you could not stand to lose or have be delayed until after dinner.

If you are driving and there is port parking (not a given), one person could be left off with the case of wine on a trolley, plus a six-bottle carrier and the above mentioned tote, while the other person parks the car. After transferring the suitcases to the porters that is.

I like your thinking and advice.  On prior cruises I just packed in a shipping box or two, tagged and saw them go to our room.

27 minutes ago, almostretired said:

Pre-covid, the carry-on wine policy was printed on the luggage tags.  Post-covid, that policy has been removed and no longer appears in the Know Before You Go or in the Alcohol Policy.

PRE-COVID:

48E070EB-71D9-470E-BE29-FF6B3E0AC2AF.thumb.jpeg.3b5761ad24e5fbce2c4a6b7a2ce5b1ac.jpeg

POST-COVID:

22CED5BC-B62B-4FD1-B325-A05409D8CD71.thumb.jpeg.03be252523754e0cae58515d9e148c76.jpeg

Gillian, don't know why the link isn't working for me.

Roger posted elsewhere that the Cellar Masters is: 

"Cellar Master Packages - Two wine tasting events conducted by our Cellar Master, two evenings of fine dining in the Pinnacle Grill, six bottles from the sommelier cellar #1, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift are included for on board enjoyment. (Mariner discount not available on the Cellar Master Packages)

Single Occupancy 11+ Days: $300.00

Single Occupancy 7 – 10 Days: $280.20

Double Occupancy 7 – 10 Days: $358.12

Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 1 - Wines:" per Crew News' link in prior post.

7 hours ago, almostretired said:

can you define what quantity may be considered excessive.

I believe that HAL have left this deliberately vague as there are so many variables.  Number of passengers on the booking, length of voyage etc.  Also the logistics of storage and carrying them onboard in the 'carryon luggage' tends to restrict the quantities.  Thankfully, we are not limited to one carryon bag! 

Personally, I would not consider 6 bottles of wine for 2 pax on a 7/10 day cruise as excessive, but I have no idea how they would treat a couple going on a 28 day cruise or even 42 days.  Would 24 bottles of wine be excessive?  or 36 bottles on the 42 day cruise?  It seems like a lot of wine, but is no more than the 6 bottles/7days for 2!

7 hours ago, almostretired said:

18 bottles is tough to carry with a dolly

On all trips I have been on HAL that left from a US port we carried on one bottle per cabin per day.    Last cruise was 21 days so 21 bottles.  Next cruise is 74 so we will be bringing on about 10 for special occasions, have bought a couple of 8 bottle Cellar 2 packages pre-cruise to let us get to wine country. We drive to FL so we don't have to deal with weight other than what we can fit in our carry on bags to go through the screener.   

Edited by ottahand7