Libraries on Moon class ships

chrism23

A  post here a few weeks ago, said that the Silver Moon, which I will shortly be for 31 days does not have a library. (other than the coffee table large books in one of the lounges),  if it had one in the first place.  Is that still the case?

If so, this is a killer for me.  I am a compulsive reader, averaging 2-3 books week.  Usually after embarkation I make a dash for the library and grab a couple I want to read.  Now I have to bring the books with me?  (Don't say buy a kindle,  one of my many neurosis is that I must have paper-but for this a kindle would be the solution).  If there isn't a library I will buy long books,  to minimize weight.  I did this in Dublin, when of course, I had to go out and buy Ulysses.  Damn thing took me almost 2 weeks of the cruise.  This time, if I have to bring my own, I will pack, stuff I haven't read yet, in this case, The Karamazoz Brothers by Doetovsky and Anna Kanenina by Toltstoy.  I will probably  need a couple more.  Problem is together these 2 weigh 5 pounds and I will be trying to pack every ounce and inch of luggage space,

A quick by the way, if any one else is in the same predicament I recommend Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and anything by William T. Vollman all coming in at about 1000 pages.  TIA.  .  

You have been misinformed, there is a small library on the Moon on the port side of the Observation Lounge. I would guess there are between 150 and 200 fiction books. I managed to find 2 long books, both relatively recent that occupied a 19 day voyage. There are also a handful of paperbacks left by guests.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

You have been misinformed, there is a small library on the Moon on the port side of the Observation Lounge. I would guess there are between 150 and 200 fiction books. I managed to find 2 long books, both relatively recent that occupied a 19 day voyage. There are also a handful of paperbacks left by guests.

Maybe correct for the Moon (I hope it is), but not correct Mr Spectre, for the Dawn, where there is indeed what is described as a library but can only be called PATHETIC.

I read maybe three or four fiction books a week when cruising and I used to enjoy finding different books in the SS libraries. Now I am almost entirely dependant on catching what books pax put in to the paperback exchange.

When I was on the Dawn in the summer there was a shelf and a half of fiction - I complained verbally and in writing that this was insufficient and Vicki did her best, it just didn't work. When I was back aboard the Dawn in November, there was half a shelf, actually about half a dozen, fiction books in total. Vicki claimed that SS said it was sending a shipment of a hundred books but she said that in August too and they hadn't arrived so I'm not expecting to ever see them.

I think SS knows that pax like real books - and every time I look around the ship I see more pax with books than e-readers - but they can't be bothered to do anything about it because it's not a revenue earner.

It isn't a deal breaker for me but it's a real pain. I do have books on my iPad as emergency backup but I hate having to read from it, and if out on deck I can't see the screen. So I have to cram as many books in my luggage as I can which as I only travel with carry on is a bit of a logistical problem.

My next cruise is on the Moon, a crossing with lots of book reading sea days so really I hope the Moon's fiction selection isn't as totally useless as the Dawn's.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

Chrism23,

Knowing your need for all manner of gear and now heavy books, along with a healthy disdain for the weight of formal clothes, sportcoats, or blazers, this is how I imagine you’ll show up on embarkation day. 😁

F33B2024-A143-46CD-BAB2-6C2A20197428.jpeg

Or, maybe the style of Tribbiani.

7D733DAD-C9D5-4856-9613-35AC88B11B36.webp

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You could probably stuff a half dozen paperback books into your blazer, then wear it on the plane. Both problems solved.

Brilliant advice from JP!  

This is just another example of why you are the forum’s master packer.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Haha 3