Budget drop off at Port Canaveral - long lines?

ajm

I've read horror stories in some reviews where picking up a car rental at Budget after a cruise can result in long lines to get the rental.  We are currently planning to rent a car at the airport and then drop it off at the Budget Port Canaveral rental location the morning of our cruise.  

Does anyone know if we will have to wait in the same lines as the people picking up a car to drop ours off?  I couldn't tell if they had a separate drop off area like other rental places and, since it is smaller, I was afraid we might be faced with the long lines of people getting off the cruise before we get there to drop ours off.

All Cape Canaveral rental car locations are busy on cruise turnaround days. Try to get there early so you have extra time to return your rental vehicle. I remember that the shuttle line to get over to Port Canaveral was very long. Many customers used either a cab, Uber or Lyft for the short ride over to the port.

the BIG factor is the port load for the day: how many ships will be turning over.  Some days it is one and then odds are no biggie at the rental places. Other days you might have FIVE .... then stand back!!!!

here's the schedule thru March  https://www.portcanaveral.com/getattachment/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules/CPA-Website-Schedule-Nov22-Mar23.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

17 hours ago, ajm said:

I've read horror stories in some reviews where picking up a car rental at Budget after a cruise can result in long lines to get the rental.  We are currently planning to rent a car at the airport and then drop it off at the Budget Port Canaveral rental location the morning of our cruise.  

Does anyone know if we will have to wait in the same lines as the people picking up a car to drop ours off?  I couldn't tell if they had a separate drop off area like other rental places and, since it is smaller, I was afraid we might be faced with the long lines of people getting off the cruise before we get there to drop ours off.

We did this the end of April. DH dropped our extended family and luggage at the port...took our rental back to Budget and was back with using their shuttle in less than 1/2 hour. Lines waiting to pick up cars but not for drop off. Our timing was around 11:00am and couldn't have been quicker or easier.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:25 AM, ajm said:

Or do they have skip the counter like at the airport? I did everything online just want to walk to car and get it

Canaveral Port Authority is warning of VERY HEAVY pass' counts on several days in the next couple of weeks . . . 

"Port Canaveral is expected to break one-day cruise passenger records on Christmas Eve and again on New Year's Eve.

But with the increased passenger counts comes increased concerns about traffic congestion and parking issues in and around the port.

Five cruise ships are scheduled to be in port on Dec. 24, dropping off passengers ending their cruises and boarding passengers beginning their cruises. 
The port expects a record 52,000 passengers to get on or off the cruise ships that day.

There will be six cruise ships in port on Dec. 31, with 57,000 cruise passenger movements. 

"We know those are going to be problem days," because of congestion at the port, .."

We did drop off here in late October before our cruise.  It's a very small building, not big enough for the volume of business they do.  There was a separate line for drop offs to the right side of the counter, it's not well marked, just a hand written sign.  Drop off was quick (we had all our paperwork filled out and arrived early, maybe 9am?) but there were a lot of people milling about outside waiting to be picked up to either go to the airport or for those of us embarking that day, catching the Budget shuttles to the port.  Their port shuttles were specific to each ship so make sure you ask the driver which ship they're going to.  Be prepared to wait up to 30 minutes in the heat.

Good luck!  It will work out fine but I know it's always stressful on boarding day, so many logistics to worry about.  Have a great cruise!