Tri-Rail from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale

DaveOKC

Has anyone used the Tri-rail to get from the Miami airport to a Fort Lauderdale port area hotel?

From what I can see, it is very inexpensive, but some drawbacks:

1. You have to take a shuttle from the Miami Airport to the Tri-rail, and then another shuttle from FL stop to the FLL airport and then a third shuttle to your hotel.

2. Obviously you have to handle your cruise luggage - how does that work on the train (and shuttles).  Will have two large suitcases.

3. It only runs once per hour on weekends.

Anything else I am missing?

Edited by DaveOKC

You don’t need to take a shuttle from the Miami airport to TriRail.

You don’t have to take a shuttle from the TriRail station to Fort Lauderdale airport.

it can be a hike to get to where you need to be at MIA to the station, and you’re subject to the TriRail schedule, which may be limiting. No baggage assistance is available.

Call your hotel to verify the closest station to their location. Maybe their shuttle can pick you up there, or a taxi will be cheap.  You need to handle your own bags on the train.

Or maybe it's worth it to spend about $75 for a Taxi or Uber?

A Transit Center was built about 4 years ago at the Miami Airport.  A shuttle train takes pax from the airport to the Center...about a 5 minute ride.  The trirail is part of the transport center....down a long escalator and board the train.  Even tho weekend schedules are limited, there should be a train at the station because it is the end of the line.  That train will be open, available and waiting for their scheduled departure.

Take it to Griffin Rd, which, I believe, is the nearest station to the airport/cruise port.  From there you can uber to your hotel, or the airport.  A shuttle may also be available.  Allow an hour for the MIA to Griffin Rd trip.

47 minutes ago, thinfool said:

A Transit Center was built about 4 years ago at the Miami Airport.  A shuttle train takes pax from the airport to the Center...about a 5 minute ride.  The trirail is part of the transport center....down a long escalator and board the train.  Even tho weekend schedules are limited, there should be a train at the station because it is the end of the line.  That train will be open, available and waiting for their scheduled departure.

Take it to Griffin Rd, which, I believe, is the nearest station to the airport/cruise port.  From there you can uber to your hotel, or the airport.  A shuttle may also be available.  Allow an hour for the MIA to Griffin Rd trip.

Griffin Road is the nearest station and it is a bus transfer station,  There are alot of sketchy people at the transfer so I would not want to be hanging around there with luggage.   

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Griffin Road is the nearest station and it is a bus transfer station,  There are alot of sketchy people at the transfer so I would not want to be hanging around there with luggage.   

Thanks for the heads up on this!  We experienced a similar situation in another town and was not happy with it.

Likely will Uber/Lyft from airport to hotel directly.

• Like 1