Casablanca

Huggsy

Hi everyone - taking a Med cruise next April, Casablanca is included in the itinerary and I've been reading posts on a well known social media site and a couple of other reviews that it's not the best place to visit - main concern being harassed and badgered in the markets and shops. I know this sort of thing is normal and to be expected but reports seem excessive and quite unsavoury even saying 'stay on the ship'. We've booked to do the 'Highlights of Casablanca' which include a visit to a market, a souk, a mosque then finishing with time by ourselves to look around the shops. I've probably answered my own question but I'd appreciate to hear any opinions positive or negative as to anybody's experience in this city.

My advice - as you will be a visitor in a foreign city - do not accept anything at any time from a hawker or seller on the street or in the souk.  They will insist you bought it at an absurd price.

If you want an item, be friendly but haggle and haggle hard.  If a fake Fendi or cheap wallet is put into your hands or if you pick it up, guess what?  The cultural norm is...the tourist bought it.  

As for taxis, negotiate upfront.  Be firm when they try to be "creative" about price at the destination.  For many in the Levant, cruise passengers are walking ATMs.

• Like 2

I was on that cruise about 6 months ago and I signed up for the "Hassan II Mosque & El Jadida" tour.  That included a short visit to the Habous Quarter but I don't recall being harrassed by any vendors and the visit to the mosque was marvelous.  I try never to book any tours that involve seeing the "Highlights" of any place because those tours using involve spending a lot of time in shops.

• Like 1

Did the Casablanca "Hassan II Mosque" tour segment, along with a visit to the hotel which, during WWII, served as the hub of the 1943 "Casablanca Conference" attended by FDR and Churchill, amongst other Allied Leaders. 

Sorry--did not get to "Rick's Place".  No Bogart or Bergman.   

This was about eight years ago while aboard Mariner.  Tour organized by Regent.  A wonderful, and knowledgeable Tour Guide kept our group of about 20 together.  She spent a lot of her time "chatting" with street vendors who were everywhere, of course.  Those are their streets.  She ran interference for us--moving the group along as a group.  

STAY WITH THE GROUP would be my advice.  The Mosque itself was magnificent in its size and basic simplicity.  Did purchase a packet of pictures from a vendor, rather than waste time snapping pictures.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

I would concur with GOARMY. We visited Casablanca and Hassan II Mosque several years ago, did not feel in the least bit harassed but did stay with the guide. The bus drove through the “poor” district and through the “wealthy” district, as well as past Rick’s Place (allegedly). 
All in all an excellent trip. The port was very industrial though. 

• Like 1

I personally found Casablanca to be rather meh.  Everything was relatively new (including the Hassan II mosque) and just not that interesting compared to Marrakech.  (And Rick's Cafe was a creation on a Warner Brothers sound studio!  The one is Casablanca is a facsimile.)

But like others, I never felt hassled in Casablanca (unlike in Marrakech!) and unlike the maze that are the souks in Marrakech, getting hopelessly lost in Casablanca shouldn't be an issue either.  

• Like 1

Now, rkaratsu--

You have burst my fantasy.  Was certain, that Jack Warner used his "pull" with the War Department to get a camera crew and cast into Casablanca soon-after the "Operation Torch" November, 1942 Allied landings.   

A Sound Stage in Hollywood, you say?  

Oh well.  Back to reality.  

GOARMY!

• Haha 3

We were in Casablanca in 2018 and you could not pay me to go back! We had a local guide who got visibly scared when we visited the souk. He was running to get out and yelling for all of us to run too! A couple of our group were literally accosted..items shoved into their hands and then threatened if they didn't pay. Someone on the bus took a picture of a guy outside and the guy tried to get on the bus to demand payment..the bus driver had to struggle to keep him off. The mosque was interesting but it was made very clear to us that we were NOT welcome, only tolerated because the cruise line makes donations. A dirty, scary, unfriendly place. Pick another excursion that is not in Casablanca.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with "meh" about Casablanca - its a relatively new and boring city. The gaudy overblown Hassan Mosque is only 20 years old, seemed to me to be an absurdly expensive Las Vegas hotel lobby hosting the present king's granddaddy.  The city is unlike other Sunni cities and sites of interest.

I don't think you will gain anything about Morocco if your day is limited to C.  There is so much to take in [enjoying hubbly bubbly with kif at a cafe!]...but only if you make the effort to get off the tour bus.

I heartily recommend ditching Casablanca for an easy Regent day tour to Rabat or even Fez.  Morocco is part of the Maghrib & those two Imperial cities enjoy great historical and religious importance going back 1,000 years - Rabat is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  Very different in size, sensibility and heritage (and cleaner) than Casablanca.  Go to Rabat - the Kasbah alone is unique and worth the trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1