Cabin - noise from above ? (gray area at Crown Grill)

Wishing on a star

We are looking at the new ship.  On the Sun Princess, especially with the fares on some of these 'new ship' cruises, I would look into booking one of the Ocean View cabins.   They seem to be a pretty big cabin.

I thought about Deck 6.  You don't know what is below you under most of Deck 5.  Plus, 6 is just a little higher.

If we had a cabin under the grey area there at Crown Grill, which I am thinking is a kitchen/staff area,  does anybody know if that might present a noise problem.

Are there any issues that I am missing that somebody here might know about?

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

We are looking at the new ship.  On the Sun Princess, especially with the fares on some of these 'new ship' cruises, I would look into booking one of the Ocean View cabins.   They seem to be a pretty big cabin.

I thought about Deck 6.  You don't know what is below you under most of Deck 5.  Plus, 6 is just a little higher.

If we had a cabin under the grey area there at Crown Grill, which I am thinking is a kitchen/staff area,  does anybody know if that might present a noise problem.

Are there any issues that I am missing that somebody here might know about?

I never book cabins above or under these types of open spaces.  My guess is you will hear noise from Crown Grill.  I doubt it would be a problem in the morning but it could be noisy in afternoon and evening.  Personally I wouldn’t risk it unless you are heavy sleepers.  

Thanks!  

Yes, I guess noise would be possible.  But, if it is in the evening, and not late into the night, I thought it might be okay.

I haven't looked again at all the current ships.  But thinking that surely there are cabins either above or below a similar area for Crown Grill or Sabatini's.   I don't remember any mentions of noise, like you would from some areas, like entertainment venues, or setting up the pool deck at dawn...

I am wondering if some of the mid-ship cabins nearby which would be great, might open up.  The system is not showing any available.  Not sure if some might be blocked off or held back for some reason?  But I would def. book one of those if I saw one!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I tried some more searching, and there are no mentions of noise from Crown Grill at all,  except for just one, where Cruise Raider actually had them moved to another cabin, because of noise.  On the Ruby Princess. I am not sure if there might have been some work going on there, and this was a one-time thing, or what????

Anyhow, if we want a OV on deck 6,  they are only forward.  I am realizing that we can't book a cabin a little further back, because those are the Cove Balcony cabins. 

Not a lot of good choices!

Especially if you don't want to be practically down on the water on deck 5.

Edited by Wishing on a star

6 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thanks!

I tried some more searching, and there are no mentions of noise from Crown Grill at all,  except for just one, where Cruise Raider actually had them moved to another cabin, because of noise.  On the Ruby Princess. I am not sure if there might have been some work going on there, and this was a one-time thing, or what????

Anyhow, if we want a OV on deck 6,  they are only forward.  I am realizing that we can't book a cabin a little further back, because those are the Cove Balcony cabins. 

Not a lot of good choices!

Especially if you don't want to be practically down on the water on deck 5.

WE were Indeed above the Crown Grill kitchen on the Ruby and the noise was awful… and in the middle of the night.  I find the Royal class ships to be very well insulated as far as sound but, I’d probably not take the chance again.  

Thanks!!!    I do see more than one gray area there around Crown Grill on Ruby.

And, it is interesting that I am not finding any other reports of noise from the kitchen there.  

Maybe it was from a different area there?

Maybe there was something going on with equipment at that time?

Anyhow, looking at budget, and OV cabins on the new ship,  There aren't a lot of good options!!!  Never know what is below Deck 5.  And that is also a very low deck.  So, that leaves those most mid-ship OV cabins on Deck 6 that aren't under the theater.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We sailed on the Ruby Princess the week after Cruise Raider, and we were in cabin E624, just a couple of doors down from Cruise Raider’s noisy cabin, and also under the Crown Grill kitchen area. I can personally attest to the noise in the middle of the night. Sounds like they are pouring hundreds and hundreds of empty cans into metal bins. I was so grateful that Cruise Raider had mentioned the noise in their post. We went prepared with a large package of ear plugs, just in case we heard the same noise. 

• Like 1

I always pack earplugs, mostly because hubs snores would break windows.  At home, I bypass his snoring by either not sleeping when he's sleeping or go to sleep before him. He says I snore too, but I've never heard it.  

Anyhow, because I'm so used to earplugs, I'm unaware of any noise.  I use the silicon plugs, reusable, easy to insert and easy to remove.  I've tried the foam ones and while they work, they are one time use and if you don't insert them correctly the first time, you'll end up wasting them.  They don't seem to roll up a second time. 

7 hours ago, justafem said:

I always pack earplugs, mostly because hubs snores would break windows.  At home, I bypass his snoring by either not sleeping when he's sleeping or go to sleep before him. He says I snore too, but I've never heard it.  

Anyhow, because I'm so used to earplugs, I'm unaware of any noise.  I use the silicon plugs, reusable, easy to insert and easy to remove.  I've tried the foam ones and while they work, they are one time use and if you don't insert them correctly the first time, you'll end up wasting them.  They don't seem to roll up a second time. 

Can you let me know what brand of ear plugs you use?  My DH refuses to wear them so not sure how much good they will do but sometimes, I can’t sleep through a noisy room.  

We are going to take a white noise maker and set it to waterfall.  Both of us do well with white noise, one that is not intermittent like the ocean waves but a constant noise that blocks out the ship’s noises. 

On 12/31/2022 at 7:38 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Can you let me know what brand of ear plugs you use?  My DH refuses to wear them so not sure how much good they will do but sometimes, I can’t sleep through a noisy room.  

We are going to take a white noise maker and set it to waterfall.  Both of us do well with white noise, one that is not intermittent like the ocean waves but a constant noise that blocks out the ship’s noises. 

Brand doesn't matter, at least to me as long as they're silicone.  Heck, I don't think I've ever noticed a brand before, drug stores carry them.  They are malleable, like old time erasers.  

I've had the same pack of 12 for years, when they get 'hairy', I discard and start a new pair.  

• Thanks 1

We got an upgrade on a ship once which put us under the lido deck. Constant noise from chairs moving as people were seated for eating and moving around. Wasn't bad late at night but got woken up early every morning. Never again. I check carefully now, what's above and below me now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thank you all.    I do see an Ocean View cabin that should be a really quiet cabin.  But, would be on deck 5.  I have never had a cabin that low.

You may just live it.  We were on deck 6 a couple of times and that location was so convenient.  

On 12/19/2022 at 7:30 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Thanks!  

Yes, I guess noise would be possible.  But, if it is in the evening, and not late into the night, I thought it might be okay.

I haven't looked again at all the current ships.  But thinking that surely there are cabins either above or below a similar area for Crown Grill or Sabatini's.   I don't remember any mentions of noise, like you would from some areas, like entertainment venues, or setting up the pool deck at dawn...

I am wondering if some of the mid-ship cabins nearby which would be great, might open up.  The system is not showing any available.  Not sure if some might be blocked off or held back for some reason?  But I would def. book one of those if I saw one!

If it is a kitchen area then you have the possibility of noise from that space even late into the night for cleaning and other work.  Probably less of a problem over or under the dining space itself

• 1 year later...

Is there any feedback (about noise) from those who have sailed on the Sun Princess? We grabbed two remaining adjacent cove balcony rooms on deck 6. They are underneath the blank/unnamed space between Crown grill and O Malleys on deck 7.  Presumably the kitchen?