two cabins vs. a suite

Psoque

I'm sure I already know the answer, but I wanted to get some feedback from others who have contemplated this issue...

We (two adults and two high school-college age kids) are sort of thinking about taking an Alaska cruise in the future. I hear that getting a veranda cabin makes a lot of sense in Alaska. However, if we do decide to do so, getting two (possibly adjoining) veranda cabins still more economical than getting a "family suite?"

From what I looked into so far, it appears getting two separate cabins is usually cheaper than getting a suite for four. I would appreciate any input from others who have tried to do the math.

Greetings! For me it would come down to whether there are suite amenities offered that would increase our family's enjoyment.

We had six of us (four adults, two teens) in a Penthouse Suite on the NCL Sky (now reassigned to NCLA) to Alaska. Square footage of the suite was 367, so the suite wasn't about extra room (although our veranda was HUGE). What made it so worthwhile? Our butlers Denny and Jimmy. Savories every afternoon, sweets in the evening. Our butlers Denny and Jimmy. Coffee, cocoa, and cognac on the veranda as we cruised Sawyer Glacier. Our butlers Denny and Jimmy. Complimentary jewelry delivered to the suite. :D The list goes on and on.

If we were sailing a line where a suite means nothing more than a larger stateroom, we'd go with two staterooms. We've had extraordinary suite treatment with NCL, but have been disappointed with the lack of service and amenities in suites with Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Disney. I suspect if we're ever able to move to the Penthouse Deck with Crystal, we'll be favorably impressed :p . In reality, sailing obstructed view staterooms with Crystal has been far superior to the suite life with lines other than NCL.

So, I've provided my two cents, but not much help. Sorry. Happy Sailing, Carla

I contemplated the 2 cabins vs the suite on our cruise in July. I was nervous about not having my 19 year old daughter and her friend with us and chose the suite. Never again! I would book 2 cabins. 3 females need 2 bathrooms at least!

I have done it both ways.

Here lately, with my children getting a little older....we are doing two balcony cabins. Connecting...for this summer.

Next Spring Break, the kids are in an inside across the hall.

Depending on the suite..... but the big kids are going to want their own bed...and not a sofa bed all week.

Privacy is there for you, when they are in their own cabin also.

my two teenage children and my husband & I returned last month from

a cruise to Mexico. I had also seriously contemplated going with a suite but my travel agent wisely suggested two rooms due to the bathroom issue. I am so glad I followed her advice. My teenagers (19 and 16) were in a room next to us and it worked out perfectly. I can't imagine how the four of us would have shared one small bathroom.

I'm sure I already know the answer, but I wanted to get some feedback from others who have contemplated this issue...

We (two adults and two high school-college age kids) are sort of thinking about taking an Alaska cruise in the future. I hear that getting a veranda cabin makes a lot of sense in Alaska. However, if we do decide to do so, getting two (possibly adjoining) veranda cabins still more economical than getting a "family suite?"

From what I looked into so far, it appears getting two separate cabins is usually cheaper than getting a suite for four. I would appreciate any input from others who have tried to do the math.

A cheaper 2 cabin alternative is to book one balcony cabin and one inside cabin close by (which Boo's Mom mentioned).

We weighed the exact same decision when we booked our cruise. (The Valor 6/11/06) Our PVP suggested the 2 cabin alternative. It was considerably cheaper than a suite. Hubby and I are in a balcony cabin, teens (ages 15 & 17) are in an inside cabin across the hall. For us, the decision was made on the money saved by having two cabins (not a suite) AND the fact that hubby and I could certainly use a little private time. (What parents couldn't, though?!) It'll be our 20th anniversary and this way we can combine a anniversary cruise with a family vacation.

The one thing I wanted to caution about: If you book w/ minor children in near cabins (like we did), you really need to pick your cabin. If you go with the "just get me on the boat and I'll probably get upgraded" route, you won't get upgraded. When there are minor children involved, Carnival told me that they won't upgrade. Lest, the children not be placed next to, or across from, the parents. This means that if you choose the cheapest rooms, odds are pretty certain you will remain in those two cheaper rooms. I have heard of horror stories from friends of mine, because of the upgrades, ended up on opposite ends of the ship (and different floors) than their children. We were able to book a balcony cabin and an inside cabin on the Lido deck cheaper than a suite.

But, despite not being in a lovely suite, it does sound very appealing to have a cabin without children. (And a heck of a lot cheaper than taking two vacations - one with the kids and one without!)

HI, We were on the fence about this too! But my TA suggested the same thing, but the boys in the inside cabin across from us! We booked late, we are going in May on the Mariner and we got lucky! I had to go to a D2, but it still was cheaper than a suite! My parents are also coming, we were able to be on the same deck but they are more towards the bow.

If you book early you will have a lot more options. And two bathrooms :D !

As a family of 5 we didn't have much of a choice. The suites were way to expensive so we went with a balcony for us and an inside for the kids. Worked out great!!! With 3 girls we NEEDED the second bathroom! :rolleyes:

If money were no object I'd love to experience a cruise in a fancy shmancy suite...... :D

~Connie

Even though they will tell you that an adult must accompany each child, get the two rooms...and then sleeping arrangements are really up to you...you will not regret it. Cheaper or more expensive...some things really matter!

Ciderapple, I am not sure how you had a balcony connecting to an inside, but that's another story.

As far as suite ammenities go, I agree that on NCL you were treated very nicely, but you should have had at least equal service on Celebrity, not so on the other lines. We have been traveling with our 2 sons for years. We started when they were 5 & 8 in 1 cabin. As they get bigger, it gets so much harder. We moved up to a suite after a few years, and some worked OK, others not. 367 sq ft is not enough room for 4, when the kids are older, in my opinion. Look at the pay-out of the suite if you really want it. The good thing is that its much nicer during the day, when you can sit comfortable and rest if you want, watch TV, read, whatever. Some suites have a separate bedroom, the living area is large, but they expect the other 2 to share the sofa bed. Our boys wouldn't do that, but 1 slept on the sofa, the other layed the cushions out on the floor, the cabin steward gave us a sheet, and he slept there. Sometimes they can give you a roll-away. If you can get your kids to shower in the spa, it might work. The charge for the 3rd and 4th in the suite is the same as for the 3rd and 4th in any other room. Sometimes though, you get such a good deal on an inside cabin, it costs the same as a 3rd and 4th, and you get the second bathroom. In recent years, we have taken a smaller suite for ourselves, and had the boys in a separate cabin. The past 2 years we only had 1 with us, and he shared a cabin with our friend's son.

I got the balcony connected to an inside by being at the back of the ship but not aft. The inside cabin is the last one before you get to the aft cabins, we will be on deck 9 on NoS. I think there is something behind that inside cabin which makes it an inside. Cabin numbers are 9381 (inside) and 9376 (D1 balcony).

And I'm happy :D

All the times I have cruised with the kids and hubby they have had their own cabin, no way do I want them that close to me. Our nov 06 cruise I have booked a balcony for us and straight across from us an inside. If I am happy with the balcony that's how I will do it again. I don't think I will ever not have them right next to me or across and I don't think I will get them a balcony, I would be terrified they would fall over. Kids are 14 and 12.

I'm finding these posts so interesting, because I seem to be going opposite the majority here. I initially booked two interior cabins (next to each other) for our upcoming cruise with our adult sons (25 & 21). The rate was $1,000 each. I then saw an aft junior suite for $1,800 for the first two passengers and $300 for the 3rd and 4th passenger. That added up to $200 more dollars than we were spending for the two interior cabins. I asked my husband and sons if they wanted two bathrooms and no balcony, or one bathroom and a balcony. They all wanted to upgrade. Since the boys are working adults (both out of college) we are splitting the costs equally, (everyone is paying $1050) so our junior suite cabin is just 50 bucks more each than the interiors were. We have camped together since the children were born in a trailer, so we know we will be just fine. Besides I'm the only 'girl' in the bunch!

DSs 16/19...like the others I did the math. Two bathrooms, more sq ft., private bedrooms and real beds for everyone (did I mention two bathrooms?). Kids across the hall inside cabin...also means I don't have to clean up after them. (did tip the attendents extra)

DH and I w/a balcony and privacy. The best thing about having teens is not sleeping w/them on vacation! For the first time EVER we had privacy on a family vacation. Kids joined us on the balcony when they wanted to. Family meetings in our room. Plenty of bathrooms for everyone. Ask, and the pursers desk will give you a key to the kids room.

The most amazing thing...the boys GOT ALONG better...actually we all did ...then ever before. They took care of thier cabin, tipped for room service, communicated w/each other, problem solved, monitored thier accounts...and each other's behavior (lol who would have expected that?) etc. Lots of "bachelor living" skills were learned/reinforced. Never once did I hear "MOM...He's...._________" (of course, the hallway doors are self-closing...and with two and a hallway between...doesn't mean it wasn't uttered...I just never heard it. :D )

Booking early, a private room for them was only $100 more pp than 3/4 rates in the same room. For a 10 day cruise that means $10 a day. Best $$ we ever spent.

Unlimited drink cards for two: $120; Private room for the teens: $200...an extra bathroom and privacy for mom & dad...priceless!

My only thought on this subject is, do you want any privacy? In 2 adjoining, or not, cabins you can lock your door. You know that romance thing. Maybe you don't want to change clothes in the bathroom, maybe you do.

Just my thought, if we ever take them again, (enter winning lottery ticket hear), it'll be 2 cabins. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

DH and I w/a balcony and privacy. The best thing about having teens is not sleeping w/them on vacation! For the first time EVER we had privacy on a family vacation. Kids joined us on the balcony when they wanted to. Family meetings in our room. Plenty of bathrooms for everyone. Ask, and the pursers desk will give you a key to the kids room.

Unlimited drink cards for two: $120; Private room for the teens: $200...an extra bathroom and privacy for mom & dad...priceless!

LOL suznf! I can absolutely relate to the privacy issue. It's not just a problem on vacations - it's a problem w/ my life! Let's face it, cruises are romantic. When a couple has been married for 20 years (like DH and myself), a little romance is nice and worth the extra $$!) You're right...it is PRICELESS!

(Well, unless it's so pricey that you can't even afford it and then this point is totally moot! LOL)

Our last trip was on the Mariner in Jan/06 - I decided to go for the Jr. Suite - it was huge to us after the Cat 6 on the Magic last November. (regular balcony room). The walk in closet worked just fine for me in a pinch for a changing room. My sons are 10 and 12. We asked our room stewart to bring a rollaway and they each had their own sleeping area and we still had plenty of room to walk around and get out to the balcony with both the sofa bed and the rollaway set up for their sleeping needs. For our next trip I have already told DH that we will go for the two rooms just for our privacy and theirs. Who doesn't like a little romance on the high seas? I know I do;) . We will book early and get joining rooms. I don't want to give up the balcony! DH and I are booked on Carnival Legend next for a mom/dad cruise and we decided to go for the 7A which is a balcony obstructed view - that would probably be a good choice for our next one with the boys -to save a little but still have the balcony. I love being able to have the first coffee just listening to the water and get the sea air. By the way - my 12 year old is 5'5 and my 10 year old is 4'11 so they almost adult size and they were quite comfortable.

• 1 year later...
We have booked a D1 cabin with connecting inside cabin next door, so we get the two bathrooms, more room and one balcony!

I weighed this up against a JS and decided it was the better option and value.

We have booked this for next summer (08). Just wondering how it worked out for you. Was the inside cabin o.k?

Archived