Cigar Fans

cmaleblanc

I've read a few posts on the forms around cigars and seems to me we have a much larger audience than I expected. I will admit I'm a relatively new cigar smoker, I have one every few months, normally when I'm at the cabin. On my last trip on Celebrity, I thought it was a smoke-free cruise, so didn't think much of it, but on the last day, I found the humidor in the ship store, and was a little disappointed I didn't get to sit on the stern with a cigar and a drink.

That being said, after reading posts here, I'm excited to get back on the boat in Feb out of FLL. I'm looking for recommendations in FLL for a good place to get a cigar at a reasonable price. (I'm also not opposed to getting a box and bringing them back at a good price) I'm in Canada and on the east coast. The best thing we offer here is a Romeo y Julieta, or those flavors cigarillos. In the past, I've ordered from an importer in Ontario, but the cost to import and shipping to my province is astronomical. Thankfully I have a friend from Belize who is nice enough to bring me some back when she can travel. We have the cigar tour booked for Cozumel at the last port, but I was hoping to pick up one or two for at least the sea days.  

I'm looking at options to pick up maybe some in FLL before I leave, or maybe if people have suggestions at one of our stops. Nassau, Ocho Rios, George Town, Cozumel.  

Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, cmaleblanc said:

I've read a few posts on the forms around cigars and seems to me we have a much larger audience than I expected. I will admit I'm a relatively new cigar smoker, I have one every few months, normally when I'm at the cabin. On my last trip on Celebrity, I thought it was a smoke-free cruise, so didn't think much of it, but on the last day, I found the humidor in the ship store, and was a little disappointed I didn't get to sit on the stern with a cigar and a drink.

That being said, after reading posts here, I'm excited to get back on the boat in Feb out of FLL. I'm looking for recommendations in FLL for a good place to get a cigar at a reasonable price. (I'm also not opposed to getting a box and bringing them back at a good price) I'm in Canada and on the east coast. The best thing we offer here is a Romeo y Julieta, or those flavors cigarillos. In the past, I've ordered from an importer in Ontario, but the cost to import and shipping to my province is astronomical. Thankfully I have a friend from Belize who is nice enough to bring me some back when she can travel. We have the cigar tour booked for Cozumel at the last port, but I was hoping to pick up one or two for at least the sea days.  

I'm looking at options to pick up maybe some in FLL before I leave, or maybe if people have suggestions at one of our stops. Nassau, Ocho Rios, George Town, Cozumel.  

Thanks. 

Since your question(s) are Celebrity Cruise specific, you may want to ask over on the Ports Of Call forum. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

Thanks. 

I also am an occasional cigar smoker (summer time bbq, at the lake, travel) at Neptune Cigars in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.  They are an excellent source, both for buying on site (we discovered them before a cruise years ago) and ordering for shipment to Canada.  Nothing better than having a good cigar and Scotch at the Sunset Bar.  We are currently in South Padre Island, Texas, for a couple months, and we just ordered from Neptune again.

1 hour ago, zook50 said:

I also am an occasional cigar smoker (summer time bbq, at the lake, travel) at Neptune Cigars in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.  They are an excellent source, both for buying on site (we discovered them before a cruise years ago) and ordering for shipment to Canada.  Nothing better than having a good cigar and Scotch at the Sunset Bar.  We are currently in South Padre Island, Texas, for a couple months, and we just ordered from Neptune again.

If you ever sail on the Edge, grab a drink at the Eden bar on deck 5, and just outside there is a beautiful wrap around huge deck smoking area.  Super comfy chairs, small sofas and they provide drink service!

• Like 1

If your on apex they have a really good smoking area, lots of cigar smokers on Deck 15. Sad I didn’t bring any. I don’t think you can buy them on board unless they are in the sundry shop and I missed them. 

8 minutes ago, 20165 said:

If your on apex they have a really good smoking area, lots of cigar smokers on Deck 15. Sad I didn’t bring any. I don’t think you can buy them on board unless they are in the sundry shop and I missed them. 

Aboard Constellation, cigars are sold at the shop along with alcohol, cigarettes, and snacks.

image.thumb.jpeg.38eb03254994fc08062a0f83bb778092.jpeg

• Like 1

I am like you and enjoy a cigar (and whiskey or rum) on rare occasions- like on a ship once or twice.  You are in Canada so you can buy Cuban cigars.  Not sure about what ship you are sailing or your ports.  Assuming the Caribbean and/or Mexico?  The ship type (M-, S- or E-class) is important for the areas allowing smoking.  For example on S-Class you can smoke aft in the port side near (not at) the Sunset Bar. Most cigar smokers go there.   But you cannot do this on M-Class ships.  For buying cigars there are lots of places at the ports you will visit. Maybe easier than looking at FLL unless you have the time.  The cigars on the ship are hit or miss.   Be aware that a lot of the Cuban cigars are counterfeit. Beware people approaching you with great deals on the beach or in the touristy areas.   You will need to look at real cigar shops that are sanctioned by the manufacturers.  There are definitely some of these higher end cigar shops at most ports but you will pay a bit more.  

20 hours ago, zook50 said:

As the OP questions, I too from Canada use or visit Neptune, as the shop m is close to the Port in FLL. Also, if possible, order from any reputable shop in the US and ship to your hotel , allow the time to ship (7-10 days) depending on shipping, and pick up when arriving at your hotel. Pick up a cheap cutter and lighter, good to go. I have always had great service from Neptune, Corona Cigars, JR and Atlantic. All depends on stock and what you are looking for.  Good luck stick hunting and enjoy the smoke. 

21 hours ago, 20165 said:

I found the one on the Apex the last night of the cruise, I was so upset, I didn't even look at the prices LOL. I had been told that it was a nonsmoking cruise prior to leaving so resigned myself to not enjoying one. 

That's why I'm trying to pre plan now! LOL 

6 hours ago, TheCount said:

As the OP questions, I too from Canada use or visit Neptune, as the shop m is close to the Port in FLL. 

You're the 2nd person to mention Neptune, it was one of the locations I was looking at myself before I posted it, but I wasn't really sure what the best options was. The outside of the store doesn't look fantastic from the google pics, but wanted to get feedback from others. So thank you! I might have to check them out before we leave. I guess one good thing about having to fly in at least a day early (coming from Newfoundland) is we have the time to go take a look before we board.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, LGW59 said:

If you ever sail on the Edge, grab a drink at the Eden bar on deck 5, and just outside there is a beautiful wrap around huge deck smoking area.  Super comfy chairs, small sofas and they provide drink service!

Yes!  We were on the Edge the first year and really enjoyed that space.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:36 AM, TheCount said:

As the OP questions, I too from Canada use or visit Neptune, as the shop m is close to the Port in FLL. Also, if possible, order from any reputable shop in the US and ship to your hotel , allow the time to ship (7-10 days) depending on shipping, and pick up when arriving at your hotel. Pick up a cheap cutter and lighter, good to go. I have always had great service from Neptune, Corona Cigars, JR and Atlantic. All depends on stock and what you are looking for.  Good luck stick hunting and enjoy the smoke. 

Yes, Neptune is in a handy location and has great selection, some good deals,  and helpful people in the store.