Costa Magica and Costa Fortuna sold according to Carnival.

SummmerInKefalonia

24 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Costa slowly getting rid of their ships one by one. I believe they'll only have 7 ships come 2024. Three transferred to Carnival, two to Carnival China, two to SeaJets.

Fleet after Magica, Fortuna, Firenze:

Toscana

Smeralda

Diadema

Deliziosa

Fascinosa

Favolosa

Pacifica

Serena

Which one do you think will leave?

58 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Fleet after Magica, Fortuna, Firenze:

Toscana

Smeralda

Diadema

Deliziosa

Fascinosa

Favolosa

Pacifica

Serena

Which one do you think will leave?

***PURE SPECULATION**

If I were to make a guess...I'd say Deliziosa.  This would give Carnival a total of six Spirit-class vessels, replacing a lot of the itinerary and homeport coverage previously held with the Fantasy-class vessels.

Elation is currently in dry dock - but I believe at her age she now needs to be in dry dock a minimum of every two years.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Beezo said:

***PURE SPECULATION**

If I were to make a guess...I'd say Deliziosa.  This would give Carnival a total of six Spirit-class vessels, replacing a lot of the itinerary and homeport coverage previously held with the Fantasy-class vessels.

Elation is currently in dry dock - but I believe at her age she now needs to be in dry dock a minimum of every two years.

I hope not. Deliziosa is the only Panamax ship left so Costa would be unable to offer a "classic" RTW cruise going through the Panama Canal. 

We are on the Favolosa now. Yesterday evening as we were leaving Montevideo we were surprised to see (and hear!) the Fortuna sailing past as she should have been on her way north. Our restaurant supervisor said that she had a technical problem and was returning to Montevideo to get it fixed. I checked Vesselfinder this morning and, sure enough, she has been docked in Montevideo since last night. Must keep an eye on that...

21 hours ago, Beezo said:

***PURE SPECULATION**

I would agree with this, especially if the Luminosa is received well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beezo said:

***PURE SPECULATION**

Deliziosa covers the World Cruise run, I don’t think they’d use a bigger ship than that. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, CruiseAdict218 said:

Deliziosa covers the World Cruise run, I don’t think they’d use a bigger ship than that. 

I completely agree! Although technically not impossible using another ship these days (new Panama locks) it would result in way higher costs for sailing with a ship only one single meter wider. Costa‘s world cruises sell very well and full ships during winter are very important! We mustn‘t forget that the European fleet of Costa will have a higher capacity in 2024 than in 2019 - and be a more modern fleet. At least a clear advantage in maintenance and costs per guest running the ship. However, I personally regret that the small ships of the neo collection offering very special routes weren‘t a success for Costa, because cruises visited very interesting places of the world. That old ships go is quite normal as we all buy another car from time to time and the two new ships that left or will leave to sail for the combined Costa - Carnival brand were never meant to sail in Europe, but were built for the Chinese market. Costa was the only brand within the group that sailed on the Chinese market until Costa started delivering for the joint venture with the Chinese to be able to offer China-only cruises as well. Ships registered abroad (Italy in the case of Costa) must call at least one port in a third country and China did not allow registration under Chinese flag without joint venture. The Atlantica had sailed for the Chinese market quite long anyway and is as far as I know the only that had been transferred, the procedure for the Mediterranea had been stopped because of China‘s cruise ban and I am not aware it has been resumed after China abolished the zero-covid strategy recently. There is no reason to speculate about Costa getting smaller and smaller, especially on the European market this is not the case, what will happen with China is another question. In Europe Costa is Carnival‘s only company serving Italian, French, and Spanish speakers in their own language. And since Aida is the second brand of Costa SpA you even may add German speakers. These are the four largest EU markets with 83% of the US population that would disappear for the Carnival group completely if Costa would die a slow death by selling the ships one by one and still no other Carnival group owned ships can be found for cruising regularly in the Med. Only MSC would have an advantage of this strange idea, but this is neither in interest of Carnival group nor of cruisers.

2 hours ago, At7Seas said:

The Atlantica had sailed for the Chinese market quite long anyway and is as far as I know the only that had been transferred, the procedure for the Mediterranea had been stopped because of China‘s cruise ban and I am not aware it has been resumed after China abolished the zero-covid strategy recently.

I thought it was announced both were transferred to the new joint venture and not just Atlantica? 

But agreed with what you said otherwise, very interesting tidbits about ships sailing from China. 

20 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

I thought it was announced both were transferred to the new joint venture and not just Atlantica?

Of course the plan of transferring both was announced, contracts for founding Adora Cruises including the two ships were signed, but regarding the situation in China last steps for the Mediterranea were postponed, without covid Atlantica would have sailed for Adora since 2020 and Mediterranea since 2021. Neither Carnival Group nor the Chinese state are keen on pouring money into a project that doesn't work. Of course none of the partners is interested in much publicity in such a situation, you only get snippets of information as far as reporting must be done by a public traded company. Now the situation in China changed and after three years cruise ban the project might get a new life. Costa had the last years before the pandemic regularly four vessels in Eastern Asia all year round, for the very most sailings three of them were only to book through Costa Asia. I myself was on the Fortuna returning to service in Europe again in exchange for the then just completed Venezia. For us Europeans the ships just disappeared for a couple of years, the Atlantica ever since 2014, the Serena since 2015 - and the latter will return to Costa Europe next winter only.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toad455 said:

I've found very little on Carnival China's venture as Adora Cruise Line. Have both Costa ships that were transferred actually sailing now?

Both are still laid up off the coast of Cyprus. I think the new China/Vista will be the first ship for the brand to debut at the end of the year. 

The Costa Fortuna’s new voyages in the Mediterranean will sail for two weeks each.

From June 24 to August 19, the Costa Fortuna will sail a brand new itinerary that includes two of the Mediterranean’s popular destinations: the Greek and Balearic Islands. The itinerary also includes Savona, Civitavecchia/Rome, Messina, four Greek islands (including Crete), Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini, Kefalonia; Palma de Mallorca, in the Balearic Islands, and then Barcelona and Marseille.

The second itinerary is dedicated to the Canary Islands where the ship will explore up to five locations including Arrecife, Puerto del Rosario, Las Palmas, San Sebastian de la Gomera, Santa Cruz de Tenerife as well as Madeira, Malaga, Savona and Civitavecchia/Rome (on some departures). The Costa Fortuna will offer these sailings from April 29 to June 10, as well as departures on September 2 and 16.

There is a third new itinerary available on April, 16, September 30 and October 14. On these sailings, the ship will explore Istanbul (with an overnight stay for September and October departures), Izmir, Athens and Malta, as well as Savona, Civitavecchia/Rome, Catania, Barcelona and Marseille.

In the fall, the Costa Fortuna will also sail three- and four-day cruises in the western Mediterranean, to Barcelona and Marseille, departing from Savona.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/02/costa-cruises-launches-new-program-for-costa-fortuna/

Edited by CruiseAdict218
  • Like 2