Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

5 hours ago, UWDawg said:

the photos of you and Becky, you appear to be wearing a full face mask rather than the normal snorkel mask which just covers your eyes and nose.  Was the full-face mask something that Great Adventures provided or were those masks that you and Becky brought yourselves?  I wear eye glasses and was wondering if the full-face mask might better accommodate me wearing my glasses while submerged.  

UW Dawg, I bought my mask and snorkel from snorkel mart. Very good customer service and reasonable. You can get prescription masks (I did) and they have full face masks now too that glasses may fit under. I think I'm going to order one for my upcoming Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise. https://www.snorkel-mart.com/vista-vue-full-face-snorkeling-mask/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UWDawg said:

@mbviking2023 Mike,
In the photos of you and Becky, you appear to be wearing a full face mask rather than the normal snorkel mask which just covers your eyes and nose.  Was the full-face mask something that Great Adventures provided or were those masks that you and Becky brought yourselves?  I wear eye glasses and was wondering if the full-face mask might better accommodate me wearing my glasses while submerged.  

Secondly, I know that you mentioned that you booked this excursion through Viator.  Did your booking include the Guided Snorkel Tour or were you doing the "basic" snorkeling  which is included in their standard package?  I'm not an experienced snorkeler or diver, so I'm inclined to upgrade to the Guided Snorkel Tour so as to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience.

@dreamercruise While you were on this third party excursion, did you add on the Guided Snorkel Tour?  If not, would you be inclined to recommend other to in order to see more than they might otherwise?

1. The guided tour option was very worthwhile, even if you are a good swimmer.  Note that we had limited time. After lunch and gearing up, we had about 2.5 hrs left.  Could not do everything.  The guided tour (about one hour duration) was a good introduction with explanation. Afterwards, we had a little over an hour to explore on our own. The guided tour eliminated any wasted time in blindly searching around.  Wish we had more time.

2. As for your question to Mike about the snorkel mask.  For a snug fit, you cannot wear glasses when you snorkel.  I am near-sighted, but I was able to see very clearly with

Promate Scope Prescription Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask with Optical Lenses MK245KX.  I ordered it from Amazon for $75 plus shipping charge and taxes. Amazon no longer offers it, but you can buy it from getwetstore.com. Now, there is a sale for $69.95 (list price is $100).  To pair with the mask (matching color), I got Promate ultra dry snorkeling with signal whistle for $24.95 plus tax.   For the mask, you need your prescription information.  Promate offers steps on prescription (not exact).  Always order up when you are in between steps.

Promate is high quality. Its quality reflects the higher than typical price in Amazon gears.

When my next opportunity to Cairns comes, I would definitely take this independent excursion again.

Enjoy your world cruise. Think I shall repeat the Viking World Cruise in a few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

UW Dawg, I bought my mask and snorkel from snorkel mart. Very good customer service and reasonable. You can get prescription masks (I did) and they have full face masks now too that glasses may fit under. I think I'm going to order one for my upcoming Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise. https://www.snorkel-mart.com/vista-vue-full-face-snorkeling-mask/

@stretchcruz THANK YOU so much for the information on the full face snorkeling masks, including the link and letting me know about prescription masks.  I'm checking them out to see what might work.  I'll be checking with them to see if they can do a special grind on the lens to account for an astigmatism.  I hope you enjoy your upcoming Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise, as you know our WC will be making stops at some of the same ports.

8 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

1. The guided tour option was very worthwhile, even if you are a good swimmer.  Note that we had limited time. After lunch and gearing up, we had about 2.5 hrs left.  Could not do everything.  The guided tour (about one hour duration) was a good introduction with explanation. Afterwards, we had a little over an hour to explore on our own. The guided tour eliminated any wasted time in blindly searching around.  Wish we had more time.

2. As for your question to Mike about the snorkel mask.  For a snug fit, you cannot wear glasses when you snorkel.  I am near-sighted, but I was able to see very clearly with

Promate Scope Prescription Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask with Optical Lenses MK245KX.  I ordered it from Amazon for $75 plus shipping charge and taxes. Amazon no longer offers it, but you can buy it from getwetstore.com. Now, there is a sale for $69.95 (list price is $100).  To pair with the mask (matching color), I got Promate ultra dry snorkeling with signal whistle for $24.95 plus tax.   For the mask, you need your prescription information.  Promate offers steps on prescription (not exact).  Always order up when you are in between steps.

Promate is high quality. Its quality reflects the higher than typical price in Amazon gears.

When my next opportunity to Cairns comes, I would definitely take this independent excursion again.

Enjoy your world cruise. Think I shall repeat the Viking World Cruise in a few years. 

@dreamercruise I can't thank you enough for your recommendations based on personal and practical experience, as well as going out of your way to provide additional follow up information about the prescription scuba mask.

Based on your comments on the Great Barrier Reef excursion, I'm definitely going to spring for the guided tour upgrade.

I did a bit of poking around on the getwetstore.com site.  They offer some reasonable prices.  It looks like I might need to upscale for a prescription which accounts for an astigmatism.  I'm still investigating. 

Best regards and thank you again.

1 hour ago, UWDawg said:

I did a bit of poking around on the getwetstore.com site.  They offer some reasonable prices.  It looks like I might need to upscale for a prescription which accounts for an astigmatism.  I'm still investigating. 

I have astigmatism as well, but I did not need to adjust for it. Before I purchased, I called Promate directly and asked about how to order per my prescription. They said no need to worry, and they are right.  Since everyone’s situation is different, you may want to call Promate and showed them your prescription.

• Thanks 1

Did any of you past WCers have any luck changing your flights without facing a cost?   

When we booked Sky's Jan 6 World Journey, we paid the deviation as we knew we wanted to come into LA early and stay in London longer. We picked a return date almost out of a hat as we are coordinating meeting our niece  (who graduates two days before we disembark).  That whole plan is now a little firmer and we would like to adjust the return.  Every change on MVJ has a cost associated with it (even though in some cases the price online I see is less than the online price for our current flights).  No biggie I thought, I'm sure the WC desk can make it happen.  

Nope!  "Sir, I'm happy to help you but I can only see the same flights and costs you see on MVJ". I asked if I paid for Air+ would it make a difference, nope he said. 

Before I call back and ratchet it up since this isn't what I was told, thought I'd ask if anyone else has had any luck.  If so, please share how you did it!

TIA

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Did any of you past WCers have any luck changing your flights without facing a cost?   

When we booked Sky's Jan 6 World Journey, we paid the deviation as we knew we wanted to come into LA early and stay in London longer. We picked a return date almost out of a hat as we are coordinating meeting our niece  (who graduates two days before we disembark).  That whole plan is now a little firmer and we would like to adjust the return.  Every change on MVJ has a cost associated with it (even though in some cases the price online I see is less than the online price for our current flights).  No biggie I thought, I'm sure the WC desk can make it happen.  

Nope!  "Sir, I'm happy to help you but I can only see the same flights and costs you see on MVJ". I asked if I paid for Air+ would it make a difference, nope he said. 

Before I call back and ratchet it up since this isn't what I was told, thought I'd ask if anyone else has had any luck.  If so, please share how you did it!

TIA

I know a few WCers the past year had to change flights for various reasons and received the same response. They escalated the request and were able to change without a fee. However, a year has passed and many complimentary adjustments may no longer be granted. Good luck...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

TIA

We were not able to.  I had booked our flights home from our WC from Reykjavík, and then we decided to add the Iceland to NYC leg.  As our tickets were already booked, we had to pay the cost of our flight from NYC.  If the tickets are booked, it’ll likely be what the change fee is.

5 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

We were not able to.  I had booked our flights home from our WC from Reykjavík, and then we decided to add the Iceland to NYC leg.  As our tickets were already booked, we had to pay the cost of our flight from NYC.  If the tickets are booked, it’ll likely be what the change fee is.

They aren't yet which is why I'm perturbed.  

On 9/15/2023 at 3:56 AM, UWDawg said:

@mbviking2023 Mike,

We're planning on going on this Great Adventures excursion to the the Outer Banks of the Great Barrier Reef/ Green Island during our upcoming WC aboard the Sky.  I'm hoping that you can help with a couple of questions I have:

In the photos of you and Becky, you appear to be wearing a full face mask rather than the normal snorkel mask which just covers your eyes and nose.  Was the full-face mask something that Great Adventures provided or were those masks that you and Becky brought yourselves?  I wear eye glasses and was wondering if the full-face mask might better accommodate me wearing my glasses while submerged.  

Secondly, I know that you mentioned that you booked this excursion through Viator.  Did your booking include the Guided Snorkel Tour or were you doing the "basic" snorkeling  which is included in their standard package?  I'm not an experienced snorkeler or diver, so I'm inclined to upgrade to the Guided Snorkel Tour so as to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience.

@dreamercruise While you were on this third party excursion, did you add on the Guided Snorkel Tour?  If not, would you be inclined to recommend other to in order to see more than they might otherwise?

Hi there!  sorry to take so long to get back.  I don't check here very often anymore.

We loved the full face snorkel.  Bought them a few years ago.  We carried them with us on the cruise, not provided by the company.  I don't know if you can wear glasses under them - they are pretty tight.  You can find them on Amazon these days, so get a set and see if it will work.

We didn't take the Guided tour, but we did upgrade when we checked in.  We originally bought the tickets for the Green Island, not knowning anything.  When we checked in, we noticed that we weren't actually going to the reef, so we upgraded.  

Either way, it was a great day and we saw so much underwater life.

ENJOY!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone describe the services at Saigon port.  The WC desk tells me we dock at the SPCT (Saigon Premier Container Terminal). Can tour operators enter the port and pick you up at the gangway or do you need to take a bus to the gate?  Thanks - from a future WC traveler

10 hours ago, johnhst said:

Can anyone describe the services at Saigon port.  The WC desk tells me we dock at the SPCT (Saigon Premier Container Terminal). Can tour operators enter the port and pick you up at the gangway or do you need to take a bus to the gate?  Thanks - from a future WC traveler

Taxi services cannot access the port. If I remember correctly, there may be a shuttle to the port exit. Viking also offers shuttle into Saigon. The walk to the port entrance though is not difficult and there are outside previously scheduled tour operators waiting. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mstadleraz said:

Taxi services cannot access the port. If I remember correctly, there may be a shuttle to the port exit. Viking also offers shuttle into Saigon. The walk to the port entrance though is not difficult and there are outside previously scheduled tour operators waiting. Hope this helps.

Sure does - Thanks

1 hour ago, Pappri said:

hope you WC'ers are still lurking here:  What was the price for hair cuts and hair coloring onboard?

That, I can’t tell you.  I brought my own hair coloring and trimmed my own bangs.  On a previous cruise, I forgot scissors and went to the salon.  It cost me $15 for a bang trim.  
You do get a generous chunk of OBC to use for things like this.  I used it for pedicures.  Those ran me about $80 for a gel.

7 hours ago, Pappri said:

hope you WC'ers are still lurking here:  What was the price for hair cuts and hair coloring onboard?

Haircut for men $49, and for women $99.  We didn’t have our hair colored.

Make sure you bring your own color-safe shampoo.  Viking’s shampoo and conditioner are excellent, but the shampoo can strip the color off your color treated hair. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cathyvee said:

New Topic: What tour company is best to book Great Barrier Reef / Green Island tour from Cairns? 

One option is Greatadventures.com.au.  I signed up directly from this website.  You have options for add-on activities such as guided tours, diving, and helicopter rides. See my posts in 375 and 372 and Beck’s posts. Also check out the website.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

One option is Greatadventures.com.au.  I signed up directly from this website.  You have options for add-on activities such as guided tours, diving, and helicopter rides. See my posts in 375 and 372 and Beck’s posts. Also check out the website.

The great adventure tours can be booked directly through them or also with Viator. Prices are about the same. With Viator you can book and pay later, directly with Great Adventure will require payment right away. With Viator the optional add ins must be booked (if still available) at the tour, with Great Adventures site, you can do it while booking. We wanted the guided snorkeling so we went with the direct through Great adventure since we heard the guided snorkeling can sell out. Note also that Viator is in US dollars while the Great Adventure site is in Aus Dollars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Penspack said:

The great adventure tours can be booked directly through them or also with Viator. Prices are about the same. With Viator you can book and pay later, directly with Great Adventure will require payment right away. With Viator the optional add ins must be booked (if still available) at the tour, with Great Adventures site, you can do it while booking. We wanted the guided snorkeling so we went with the direct through Great adventure since we heard the guided snorkeling can sell out. Note also that Viator is in US dollars while the Great Adventure site is in Aus Dollars.

There are many tours on Viator for Great Barrier. Do you know which one is the Great Adventure tour?