How much time to do all this in Barcelona?

Macdooger4

Hi All!  I will arrive in Barcelona sometime (not sure when yet) on the 14th of May and will need to get to cruise port by the 16th of May (say 2ish).  Would like to ride the cable cars, visit la sagrada familia, Parc Guell, walk the ramblas and the gothic quarter, stop for some food along the way and shopping.

So, how much of this can we fit into a single day and how much for the second (shorter day)?

Are all these things close by to each other? 

Any tips in planning for the above? 

These sites are not really walking distance from each other (although not impossible).  I would think about taxis between each site.  Walking will use a lot of your time.  Think about getting an opening time ticket to PG, then a noon or 1 pm ticket for SF.  There are places to each around SF.  After SF, you can go to the Ramblas/Gothic Quarter.  Plenty of places to eat there.

• Like 2

Agree that using taxis will make life easy and expedite matters.  Public transit is also doable as the city has a decent Metro (subway) system and bus lines.  I will admit that we enjoyed Parc Guell more when it was free.  Now, you do have to pay an admission fee (around 10 Euros).  If you have the time we suggest adding a visit to the Gaudi houses.

Hank

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mskaufman said:

These sites are not really walking distance from each other (although not impossible).  I would think about taxis between each site.  Walking will use a lot of your time.  Think about getting an opening time ticket to PG, then a noon or 1 pm ticket for SF.  There are places to each around SF.  After SF, you can go to the Ramblas/Gothic Quarter.  Plenty of places to eat there.

Thank you, and these things can all be done in a single/full day? Then second day maybe we can see the gaudi houses? Maybe we will skip the cable cars if not enough time to do it all. Hoping our flight gets in early enough to give us time upon arrival to see some sights as well. 

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Agree that using taxis will make life easy and expedite matters.  Public transit is also doable as the city has a decent Metro (subway) system and bus lines.  I will admit that we enjoyed Parc Guell more when it was free.  Now, you do have to pay an admission fee (around 10 Euros).  If you have the time we suggtt adding a visit to the Gaudi houses.

Hank

Yes, I should have included that in my 'to see' list!!  Definitely wan to visit the gaudi houses. 

On 12/22/2022 at 4:01 PM, Macdooger4 said:

Hi All!  I will arrive in Barcelona sometime (not sure when yet) on the 14th of May and will need to get to cruise port by the 16th of May (say 2ish).  Would like to ride the cable cars, visit la sagrada familia, Parc Guell, walk the ramblas and the gothic quarter, stop for some food along the way and shopping.

So, how much of this can we fit into a single day and how much for the second (shorter day)?

Are all these things close by to each other? 

Any tips in planning for the above? 

On our last trip to Barcelona,  one morning we took the metro to Park Guell, and from there walked to the Sagrada, and then continued the walk through Gothic and ended up on Ramblas where our hotel was.  We toured everything at a leisurely pace, and it was very easy to do in a day, but its lots of walking, so I would recommend the Cable Car for the second shorter day.    hova

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hova said:

On our last trip to Barcelona,  one morning we took the metro to Park Guell, and from there walked to the Sagrada, and then continued the walk through Gothic and ended up on Ramblas where our hotel was.  We toured everything at a leisurely pace, and it was very easy to do in a day, but its lots of walking, so I would recommend the Cable Car for the second shorter day.    hova

Thank you so much for this response, exactly what I was looking for!! We might switch out the cable cars for some of the gaudi houses, but this is excellent info. I love walking, so not worried about that and we don't need to spend a ton of time at each location either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macdooger4 said:

Thank you so much for this response, exactly what I was looking for!! We might switch out the cable cars for some of the gaudi houses, but this is excellent info. I love walking, so not worried about that and we don't need to spend a ton of time at each location either. 

Actually the walking isn't too bad.  Google maps has it at 3-4 miles (if you take the metro to the starting point and walk from there).  Reserve your Sagrada tickets in advance to avoid lineups!  Good luck!

• Like 2

You have plenty of time to do all that in a good day and a half.  I always leave just one thing to do on cruise day itself so that we have fun but do not arrive at the port in a rush.  

I recall one of our cruises we visited Casa BAtllo prior to boarding.  We arrived before opening time and loved it.  I would like to warn you though that There were long queues as we left.  I think inside of  just the one house would suffice.  I understand that these buildings are expensive to maintain, but they are expensive to visit.  

I have not used the cable car but on one of my first cruises I woke at dawn before the rest of my family and ‘went for a wander’.  I walked up Montjuïc and was rewarded with a view of our ship in the port below.  Possibly spoiled your surprise, but anyone looking at a map could potentially work it out.  

Sagrada Familia was a perfect length of time to visit in the morning.  We were there first thing to beat long queues, we were able to walk back to our hotel prior to check out.    We could just have easily have checked out earlier and left the bags with reception.   

l love Barcelona.

• Like 2