Buying internet on board

6vacruisers6

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

On a laptop or tablet, you can enter

https://navigator.hollandamerica.com/#/

And it will ask about logging the other device off. My husband went between his laptop in the cabin and his phone elsewhere. We each had our own plan via HIA...

you can also go to internet.hollandamerica.com to go directly to the page to login to the internet on any device.

• Like 2

Does iMessage work on HAL without purchasing a plan just by connecting to the ships regular wifi?  ( we were just in another cruise line and we had this capability). Thanks in advance 

7 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

In order to use the internet you need to be logged into the account of the guest who has the plan, that is the only "hitch".  So if a husband buys the plan and his wife wants to use it she needs to log into his navigator account and log in then.  After that she can log out of his account and will stay connected until the next device is connected.

We found it wasn't a big deal to be logged on as the primary passenger on both of our devices. The advantage was that we could sign up for a four-device plan, which gave us each two to use (phone and iPad). The disadvantage was that we couldn't communicate individually through Navigator, but since we were able to use text on our phones, that wasn't a big deal. We didn't go on excursions, so we didn't need to have e-tickets available.

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I was just on 2 cruises and had 3 devices.  I just signed up at the beginning and if I used a different device - then it said it had to bump the other one off and I ok’d it.

Alternatively you can log out first to be safe and then log in on the next device.

Before, when I travelled with DH, we had one plan.  We both used the internet (at different times) on 3 different devices.  I’ve never had a problem doing that.  (He logged in under my name).

to log in as him - just pretend you are him - no biggie.  Just input his name instead of your own and you will be all set.  If he is primary you definitely want to be him signing in to see the full account on Navigator.

Thanks. And your last sentence is what I’m going to have to do. He has his phone, I have mine and my iPad is our joint device. 

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks. And your last sentence is what I’m going to have to do. He has his phone, I have mine and my iPad is our joint device. 

You can log in as him on any of those devices and/or switch to any of them.

As far as HAL is concerned they don’t care who owns it, just who signs in as long as it is one at a time 😉 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rkay said:

Does iMessage work on HAL without purchasing a plan just by connecting to the ships regular wifi?  ( we were just in another cruise line and we had this capability). Thanks in advance 

No. iMessage requires access to the internet.

Internet connections can be done in many ways: by WiFi (just a form of wireless connection), cellular data networks or a physical wire (ethernet cable from a laptop, for example).

WiFi itself (despite how people tend to us the term) is only a means of connecting your device to the internet - you always need some form of internet plan to get anything done (like iMessage).

The other cruise line you refer to likely had internet access included as part of your fare. HAL requires you to buy internet access separately. You can still use the Navigator app via the ship's WiFi, but that doesn't let you access most of the various internet functions - just a number of shipboard / HAL functions. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

Technically when you’re connected to the ship’s wifi you have an internet connection even if you don’t buy an internet package. The IT department sets up filters that allow access to various services such as IMessage. That’s why you can access the new york times and certain websites without purchasing internet.
It is possible that IMessage works on some cruise lines wifi without purchasing internet but HAL has blocked it. 

• Like 1

As an FYI, recently returned from a 24 day Hawaii on the Koningsdam.  We both had surf plans included in our HAI.  With about 12 days remaining  the price to upgrade to premium was $50.  I had lots of OBC so I did it.  Didn't notice any difference at all..... pictures were still very slow to upload, etc.  I don't know if it would have allowed to stream movies, etc. as I didn't try.  I had hoped for better speed.  I did also attempt a few Face Time calls which "worked" but there was lots of buffering and eventually freezing up.  So, not really useful for that for us anyway. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

We both had surf plans included in our HAI.  With about 12 days remaining  the price to upgrade to premium was $50.  I had lots of OBC so I did it.  Didn't notice any difference at all..... 

I have posted before, the Internet itself is the SAME for Social/Surf/Premium. Only fewer apps and programs blocked and (I believe) higher data caps for the more expensive plans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from Eurodam 3 day and did the basic (social package) for $ 29.99. Was able to use iMessage and Messenger with no problem - could send pictures out but not get any in. Was also able to get to airline apps to check in. Just had to be a bit patient as it was a bit slow. Nice to have if you need a way to keep in touch for peace of mind. 

My next  cruise 7 day Westerdam, I did not purchase the Have It All an i can purchase the Premium Internet for $109.99 which is actually a pretty good price.

PREMIUM INTERNET PLAN - 7 DAYS

Whether emailing friends or streaming a movie, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access throughout your voyage—at a savings of at least 50% compared to the daily rate—with our Premium Internet Plan. All onboard Internet usage is subject to Holland America Line standard policies, which may limit browsing of some sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings are subject to change with or without notice. The plan can be activated on any device but only one device can be actively connected at a time, the rate calculation is based on prorating the voyage package by length.

image.jpeg.5d3eee8169ec65ddad2f24dd7c4f1316.jpegPremium Internet Plan - 7 Days
BUY NOW