Jump to content

A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024


mysty
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are sitting at 50 days and counting to departure from home.  We are spending the night before our flights to Bridgetown at an airport hotel as the first leg departs at 5:20 am from Ottawa.

 

I've started ticking things of my to-do list.  I divided the tasks up by month and I'm slowly getting a handle on things.  Thus far...

 

Apply for ETAs for Australia  - DONE 
Register with Foreign Affairs regarding cruise destinations - DONE
Prepare itinerary and contact info for kids, family - DONE
Email itinerary and contact info to kids, family - DONE
Prepare itinerary and contact info for ship ahead suitcases - DONE
Print passport pages for ship ahead luggage - DONE
Contact Apartment Insurance Provider - DONE
Inform Apartment Building manager - DONE
Verify flight ticketing - DONE
Print Calendars - DONE


 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I make and print a luggage inventory piece by piece.  This provides a list of items in each bag in case one or more go walk about.  As we approach our sailing date I managed to make the inventory of my wardrobe choices (subject to re-jigging when I actually pack).  I had to take Myster by the horns to get his choices.  Yesterday was the day.  I walked him through his closet and made suggestions.  His inventory runs to two pages.  Mine runs to 5. 😅

 

The inventory is a spread sheet.....

 

Capture.JPG.2d8ff185291645013dccfe368dc8fadf.JPG

 

As I pack I put a tick mark in the appropriate column of the spreadsheet.  The ship ahead luggage needs to be ready by the scheduled pickup date of December 4.  We'll see how this plays out! 😉

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Misty,

Would you please come to my place and organize me. I find reading your process so fascinating and strive to replicate it but get easily distracted... We are 66 days out from sailing and 64 days out until our departure. I can not seem to figure out a reasonable approach of what to do when... 

So far, I believe I have moved all the clothes and items we need to our condo in California from our home in NM so I can pack when I am in California in a few weeks. 

Help!!! Please send advice... 

Thanks so much, 

Lost in Space, Jean

 

PS I have booked all our excursions through my silversea as well as Tours by Locals, and also picked on our - on our own days. 

 

Edited by JSR
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JSR said:

Misty,

Would you please come to my place and organize me. I find reading your process so fascinating and strive to replicate it but get easily distracted... We are 66 days out from sailing and 64 days out until our departure. I can not seem to figure out a reasonable approach of what to do when... 

So far, I believe I have moved all the clothes and items we need to our condo in California from our home in NM so I can pack when I am in California in a few weeks. 

Help!!! Please send advice... 

Thanks so much, 

Lost in Space, Jean

 

PS I have booked all our excursions through my silversea as well as Tours by Locals, and also picked on our - on our own days. 

 

 

Sounds like you're doing just fine @JSR ! 😁  I have to admit that I'm a tad over the top when it comes to planning and organizing. I always start with lists and lists of lists. For items relating to home care, Visas, vaccines, etc. I work backward from a date about a week before departure from home.  As each item on the list is completed I mark it DONE.   I make lists of the clothes and accessories which feed into the inventory spreadsheet.   I have started the list of vitamins and supplements to purchase and have contacted the pharmacist to determine how much lead time is required to fill our prescriptions.  At the beginning of September I made a list of items I wanted to purchase for the trip and have purchased them over the course of the last 2 months.  I will start the packing for the ship ahead luggage the last week of November.   Some fine tuning might be required.  😁  You may consider bringing more clothes than you think you'll need to your California condo  (just in case you want to add or subtract from your planned wardrobe).

 

If you have questions,  ask!  😁  I am willing to help however I can! 🥰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I'd love to know how you define "tad". 😁

 

Okay @Stumblefoot !  My "tad" is probably your definition of "hyper"!  You say tomato and I say tomahto!  😅  We all do what we're comfortable with and,  so far, Myster has no complaints.   At least about this particular issue. 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mysty said:

 

Okay @Stumblefoot !  My "tad" is probably your definition of "hyper"!  You say tomato and I say tomahto!  😅  We all do what we're comfortable with…

💙💛💚

 

Amen!  There is absolutely nothing wrong with your “tad”.  At all.  


For what is pleasant to one person may be unpleasant to another.  And, for that, we are thankful. For what a boring place this world would be if we were all the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

💙💛💚

 

Amen!  There is absolutely nothing wrong with your “tad”.  At all.  


For what is pleasant to one person may be unpleasant to another.  And, for that, we are thankful. For what a boring place this world would be if we were all the same.

 

You are a gem @Stumblefoot ! 🥰

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mysty said:

 

Okay @Stumblefoot !  My "tad" is probably your definition of "hyper"!  You say tomato and I say tomahto!  😅  We all do what we're comfortable with and,  so far, Myster has no complaints.   At least about this particular issue. 🤣

The important thing here is that Myster approves - he is no doubt very happy to be married to someone who enjoys being the organiser, and is trusted to do it properly,  as I would be if given the chance.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So those interested, here are the brief descriptions of the 12 overland options for the World Cruise.

 

THE ULTIMATE NEW ZEALAND BUCKET LIST
Departing from Auckland, New Zealand | 11 February | 4 Nights
The pearl of the southwestern Pacific Ocean, New Zealand is geographically comprised of two main landmasses; the North and South islands, and approximately 600 smaller islands. The country’s varied topography and sharp mountain peaks, such as the Southern Alps, owe much to the tectonic uplift of land and volcanic eruptions. During this scenic journey to Rotorua, Queenstown and Milford Sound discover why the island’s lush, tropical beauty, verdant foliage, emerald green valleys, volcanoes, crater lakes, and stunning coastline are truly a joy to behold.

 

BALI: ‘ISLAND OF THE GODS’ DISCOVERY
Departing from Benoa (Bali), Indonesia | 16 March | 1 Night
With its varied landscape of verdant hills and mountains, exquisite beaches, lush rice terraces,
and stunning volcanic hillsides, it comes as little wonder why Bali is world-renowned as the ‘Island of the Gods’. The idyllic tropical beauty of Bali is the ideal setting in which to explore its vibrant, deeply spiritual, and unique cultural heritage during this bespoke, one-night overland excursion. Visit a Batik workshop to observe the traditional process by which this colourful fabric is made and browse the items available for sale. Enter the historic Kerta Gosa (Old Court of Justice), established several hundred years ago. Tour the Besakih Temple, Bali’s ‘Mother Temple’ and the biggest and holiest of its temples, along with Pura Gunung Kawi Sebatu, a beautiful, 15th-century Balinese Hindu temple. Rounding out your overnight journey is the spectacular panoramic splendour of the Tegalalang Rice Terraces, and Balinese cuisine accompanied by breath-taking views overlooking the Lake and Mount Batur.

 

BEST OF BORNEO
Departing from Singapore | 23 March | 4 Nights
Located in Southeast Asia’s Malay Archipelago, the island of Borneo is renowned for its idyllic
beaches, biodiverse rainforest, and an abundance of rare and endemic flora and fauna. Experience the exquisite beauty, flavours, and culture of Borneo during this immersive, four-night island getaway. After travelling from Singapore to Sandakan via Kuala Lumpur, explore the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation and Sun Bear Conservation centers, lush, verdant rainforest, and incredibly diverse wildlife and bird species during scenic and relaxing sunrise, day, and evening cruises along the Kinabatangan River. Continuing to Kota Kinabalu, discover the heart of city during visits to the revered City Mosque, Puh Toh Tze Temple, and a bustling handicrafts market. Elegant accommodations, breath-taking panoramic vistas, important historical venues, and sumptuous island cuisine at popular local venues round out your visit to Borneo in grand style. Your Mid-Voyage Land Adventure concludes at the port of Kota Kinabalu.

 

THE DRAGON KINGDOM OF BHUTAN
Departing from Singapore | 23 March | 6 Nights
Discover spectacular Bhutan, a world as beautiful and pristine as it is mysterious, during this
captivating, six-night overland excursion to the ‘Dragon Kingdom’. During your journey to this
storybook Buddhist kingdom on the eastern edge of the Himalayas, explore its most revered and iconic landmarks. Whilst in Thimphu, visit the Semtokha Dzong, Buddha Dordenma Statue, and Takin Preserve, tour the Folk Heritage and Textile museums, take an easy hike to Wangditse, produce your own stamp at the Bhutan Postal Museum, observe the ancient papermaking process at the Paper Factory, and visit the National Memorial Chorten. During your visit to Paro, experience highlights that include Dumtseg & Kyichung Lhakhang, National Museum of Paro, Paro Dzong Fortress, an exhilarating hike up to the Taktshang Goempa (Tiger’s Nest) with a private barbecue lunch at its base, the Old Town, a cultural dance performance, and wearing traditional Bhutanese costumes.

 

ANGKOR WAT AND HOI AN!
Departing from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam | 29 March | 3 Nights
Cambodia and Vietnam are home to a vast array of age-old cultures and traditions, and offer a unique opportunity to explore the breath-taking vestiges of Angkor Wat and other ancient civilizations during this immersive, three-night overland excursion. At Siem Reap, visit the floating villages of Kompong Phluk at Tonle Sap Lake, and enjoy dinner with a traditional Apsara dance show. Next, explore the Angkor Wat Temple complex, Angkor National Museum, Angkor Thom complex, Terrace of Elephants, Leper King, Bayon, giant stone faces at the Bayon Temple, and Ta Prohm Temple. At Da Nang, marvel at the open-air Cham Museum, then take a guided stroll through the colourful streets of ancient Hoi An, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Hoi An Museum, a traditional merchant’s house, Phuoc Kien Temple, Japanese Covered Bridge, dragon-shaped Marble Mountain, and a marble workshop. Your ‘Angkor Adventure’ concludes with a scenic drive to your ship at the port of Chan May or Da Nang.

 

MACAU, WHERE EAST MEETS WEST
Departing from Hong Kong, China | 3 April | 1 Night
Originally leased to Portugal as a trading post by the Ming Dynasty in 1557, Macau was administered by the Portuguese under Chinese sovereignty until 1999, when it was transferred back to China. Due to its Portuguese and Chinese architectural influences, the city’s historic center is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today, Macau is also a major resort city and a beacon for gambling tourism; its gambling industry is seven times that of Las Vegas’. This immersive, one-night overland adventure explores the vibrant blend of Portuguese and Chinese cultures, architecture, and daily life in bustling Macau, the ‘Las Vegas of the East’. Visit the Ruins of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the most renowned landmark and symbol of Macau. Senado Square, Macau’s urban center, is home to Neoclassical buildings and stalls offering local specialties. Tour the historic A-Ma Temple, Taipa Village, one of the best-preserved areas in the city with a rich history and the Baroque Chapel of St Francis Xavier built in 1928. The food stalls and local specialties of Rua Do Cunha, a special tasting menu and a typical Macanese lunch highlight the unique mix of Portuguese and Chinese flavours. A dim sum lunch at the Michelin-starred The 8 Restaurant in the Lisboa Hotel rounds-out your visit in grand style.

 

XIAN: FAMOUS TERRACOTTA WORRIORS, BEIJING AND THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 3 Nights
Experience the highlights of fascinating Beijing, the legendary Great Wall, and the famous Terracotta Warriors of Xian during this four-days Mid-Voyage Land Adventure. Xian, capital of Shaanxi Province, is known the world over as the home to one of China’s supreme cultural treasures, the 2,200-year-old Terracotta Army. Xian was once the homeland of thirteen dynasties and the easternmost site on the fabled Silk Road, which has left a unique cultural heritage. After your visit to Xi’an, travel to Beijing to discover the major attractions of China’s bustling capital city. Take a guided tour of the Forbidden City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. See the famous Tiananmen Square, the largest public square in the world and site of numerous historic event, the giant Wild Goose Pagoda, the Ming Tombs and much more. Immerse yourself in the culture and culinary traditions of China while you assist to a cultural Tang Dynasty dinner show and savor local authentic cuisine.

 

TIBET, ROOF OF THE WORLD & THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 5 Nights
Discover this unique 5-night overland program exploring Tibet, the autonomous region of the
People’s Republic of China and the most famous treasures and wonders of China - the Forbidden City in Beijing and the Great Wall!

 

TIBET, ROOF OF THE WORLD
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 4 Nights
Tibet has long tantalized the imaginations of travelers with visions of its majestic scenery, colorful
and distinctive culture, glittering religious monuments, and the true devotion of its people to their
own brand of Buddhism. Despite the control asserted by Beijing and a spreading veneer of Chinese culture, a visit to the “Roof of the World” is still an inspiration. In fact the Dalai Lama encourages travelers to visit and learn as much as they can about the country and its people.

 

BEIJING PAST, PRESENT & THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Tianjin, China | 13 April | 1 Night
Discover the highlights of fascinating Beijing and the legendary Great Wall during this two-day
Mid-Voyage Land Adventure. Journey to Beijing and explore the major attractions of China’s capital.

 

KYOTO SOJOURN
Departing from Osaka, Japan | 18 April | 1 Night
Immerse yourself into Japanese history, architecture and customs in a unique way during this
memorable journey to legendary Kyoto. Explore Kyoto’s historic treasures during your visits to the impressive Kyomizu-dera Temple, Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrines. Experience trying on a Kimono in a ‘Machiya’, a Japanese old house, and a special tea ceremony. Savour typical Kyoto Kaiseki lunch and a traditional Geisha dinner. At the end of your two-day exploration of legendary Kyoto, enjoy the comfort of a Bullet train ride to make your way back to the ship.

 

TREASURES OF JAPAN
Departing from Osaka, Japan | 18 April | 3 Nights
Dive into traditional Japanese lifestyle and culture deeply with Shukubo temple stay at Mt. Koya,
Tea Ceremony and Kimono Wearing Experiences. Savor authentic Kiaseki cuisine while enjoying a traditional Geisha performance. Visit Legendary Kyoto with its iconic temples and shrines registered as World Heritage Sites. Top off your trip with a bullet train ride from Kyoto to Tokyo. In Tokyo visit the historical area Asakusa and try an exclusive Teppaniyaki cuisine before joining your ship. Terracotta warriors in Xi’an, China Bamboo forest in Kyoto, Japan
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI Mysty,

Taking you up on some questions. 

 

1) I love this itinerary you are doing, it goes everywhere I want to go to and skips places I do not want to go to.  We are already booked on the SA GV so joining you at the last minute is not an option.  I do not see any WC or GV that are similar. Has this itinerary been offered before? Should I keep my fingers crossed that it will be offered again soon or is that unlikely? (ok, i know you do not have crystal ball but you are amore experienced WC traveler).

 

2) I like to enlist your help on a packing timeline. When should we actually but clothes in suitcases? Also, what should she take with us verses ship? (Hate to admit this but we could each take 3 additional suitcases on the airplane, however, we have no desire to do this). Do you check luggage or just do a carry on? 

working backwards:

 

Thursday, January, 4 ship departs Ft. Lauderdale

Tuesday, January, 2 we depart Los Angeles for Ft. Lauderdale

Thursday, December 28, we arrive in Los Angeles

???? Silversea Luggage service picks up suitcases in Los Angeles

Friday, December 15- Tuesday December 19 in Los Angeles, (for an event on December 17)

Saturday, November 18 -Tuesday, December 5 in Los Angeles (multiple birthdays, US Thanksgiving, daughter's wedding planning obligations)

 

3) Do you have any suggestions as to what information we should put in our suitcase in terms of booking information, itinerary?

 

Thanks so much. Jean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mysty said:

So those interested, here are the brief descriptions of the 12 overland options for the World Cruise.

 

THE ULTIMATE NEW ZEALAND BUCKET LIST
Departing from Auckland, New Zealand | 11 February | 4 Nights
The pearl of the southwestern Pacific Ocean, New Zealand is geographically comprised of two main landmasses; the North and South islands, and approximately 600 smaller islands. The country’s varied topography and sharp mountain peaks, such as the Southern Alps, owe much to the tectonic uplift of land and volcanic eruptions. During this scenic journey to Rotorua, Queenstown and Milford Sound discover why the island’s lush, tropical beauty, verdant foliage, emerald green valleys, volcanoes, crater lakes, and stunning coastline are truly a joy to behold.

 

BALI: ‘ISLAND OF THE GODS’ DISCOVERY
Departing from Benoa (Bali), Indonesia | 16 March | 1 Night
With its varied landscape of verdant hills and mountains, exquisite beaches, lush rice terraces,
and stunning volcanic hillsides, it comes as little wonder why Bali is world-renowned as the ‘Island of the Gods’. The idyllic tropical beauty of Bali is the ideal setting in which to explore its vibrant, deeply spiritual, and unique cultural heritage during this bespoke, one-night overland excursion. Visit a Batik workshop to observe the traditional process by which this colourful fabric is made and browse the items available for sale. Enter the historic Kerta Gosa (Old Court of Justice), established several hundred years ago. Tour the Besakih Temple, Bali’s ‘Mother Temple’ and the biggest and holiest of its temples, along with Pura Gunung Kawi Sebatu, a beautiful, 15th-century Balinese Hindu temple. Rounding out your overnight journey is the spectacular panoramic splendour of the Tegalalang Rice Terraces, and Balinese cuisine accompanied by breath-taking views overlooking the Lake and Mount Batur.

 

BEST OF BORNEO
Departing from Singapore | 23 March | 4 Nights
Located in Southeast Asia’s Malay Archipelago, the island of Borneo is renowned for its idyllic
beaches, biodiverse rainforest, and an abundance of rare and endemic flora and fauna. Experience the exquisite beauty, flavours, and culture of Borneo during this immersive, four-night island getaway. After travelling from Singapore to Sandakan via Kuala Lumpur, explore the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation and Sun Bear Conservation centers, lush, verdant rainforest, and incredibly diverse wildlife and bird species during scenic and relaxing sunrise, day, and evening cruises along the Kinabatangan River. Continuing to Kota Kinabalu, discover the heart of city during visits to the revered City Mosque, Puh Toh Tze Temple, and a bustling handicrafts market. Elegant accommodations, breath-taking panoramic vistas, important historical venues, and sumptuous island cuisine at popular local venues round out your visit to Borneo in grand style. Your Mid-Voyage Land Adventure concludes at the port of Kota Kinabalu.

 

THE DRAGON KINGDOM OF BHUTAN
Departing from Singapore | 23 March | 6 Nights
Discover spectacular Bhutan, a world as beautiful and pristine as it is mysterious, during this
captivating, six-night overland excursion to the ‘Dragon Kingdom’. During your journey to this
storybook Buddhist kingdom on the eastern edge of the Himalayas, explore its most revered and iconic landmarks. Whilst in Thimphu, visit the Semtokha Dzong, Buddha Dordenma Statue, and Takin Preserve, tour the Folk Heritage and Textile museums, take an easy hike to Wangditse, produce your own stamp at the Bhutan Postal Museum, observe the ancient papermaking process at the Paper Factory, and visit the National Memorial Chorten. During your visit to Paro, experience highlights that include Dumtseg & Kyichung Lhakhang, National Museum of Paro, Paro Dzong Fortress, an exhilarating hike up to the Taktshang Goempa (Tiger’s Nest) with a private barbecue lunch at its base, the Old Town, a cultural dance performance, and wearing traditional Bhutanese costumes.

 

ANGKOR WAT AND HOI AN!
Departing from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam | 29 March | 3 Nights
Cambodia and Vietnam are home to a vast array of age-old cultures and traditions, and offer a unique opportunity to explore the breath-taking vestiges of Angkor Wat and other ancient civilizations during this immersive, three-night overland excursion. At Siem Reap, visit the floating villages of Kompong Phluk at Tonle Sap Lake, and enjoy dinner with a traditional Apsara dance show. Next, explore the Angkor Wat Temple complex, Angkor National Museum, Angkor Thom complex, Terrace of Elephants, Leper King, Bayon, giant stone faces at the Bayon Temple, and Ta Prohm Temple. At Da Nang, marvel at the open-air Cham Museum, then take a guided stroll through the colourful streets of ancient Hoi An, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Hoi An Museum, a traditional merchant’s house, Phuoc Kien Temple, Japanese Covered Bridge, dragon-shaped Marble Mountain, and a marble workshop. Your ‘Angkor Adventure’ concludes with a scenic drive to your ship at the port of Chan May or Da Nang.

 

MACAU, WHERE EAST MEETS WEST
Departing from Hong Kong, China | 3 April | 1 Night
Originally leased to Portugal as a trading post by the Ming Dynasty in 1557, Macau was administered by the Portuguese under Chinese sovereignty until 1999, when it was transferred back to China. Due to its Portuguese and Chinese architectural influences, the city’s historic center is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today, Macau is also a major resort city and a beacon for gambling tourism; its gambling industry is seven times that of Las Vegas’. This immersive, one-night overland adventure explores the vibrant blend of Portuguese and Chinese cultures, architecture, and daily life in bustling Macau, the ‘Las Vegas of the East’. Visit the Ruins of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the most renowned landmark and symbol of Macau. Senado Square, Macau’s urban center, is home to Neoclassical buildings and stalls offering local specialties. Tour the historic A-Ma Temple, Taipa Village, one of the best-preserved areas in the city with a rich history and the Baroque Chapel of St Francis Xavier built in 1928. The food stalls and local specialties of Rua Do Cunha, a special tasting menu and a typical Macanese lunch highlight the unique mix of Portuguese and Chinese flavours. A dim sum lunch at the Michelin-starred The 8 Restaurant in the Lisboa Hotel rounds-out your visit in grand style.

 

XIAN: FAMOUS TERRACOTTA WORRIORS, BEIJING AND THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 3 Nights
Experience the highlights of fascinating Beijing, the legendary Great Wall, and the famous Terracotta Warriors of Xian during this four-days Mid-Voyage Land Adventure. Xian, capital of Shaanxi Province, is known the world over as the home to one of China’s supreme cultural treasures, the 2,200-year-old Terracotta Army. Xian was once the homeland of thirteen dynasties and the easternmost site on the fabled Silk Road, which has left a unique cultural heritage. After your visit to Xi’an, travel to Beijing to discover the major attractions of China’s bustling capital city. Take a guided tour of the Forbidden City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. See the famous Tiananmen Square, the largest public square in the world and site of numerous historic event, the giant Wild Goose Pagoda, the Ming Tombs and much more. Immerse yourself in the culture and culinary traditions of China while you assist to a cultural Tang Dynasty dinner show and savor local authentic cuisine.

 

TIBET, ROOF OF THE WORLD & THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 5 Nights
Discover this unique 5-night overland program exploring Tibet, the autonomous region of the
People’s Republic of China and the most famous treasures and wonders of China - the Forbidden City in Beijing and the Great Wall!

 

TIBET, ROOF OF THE WORLD
Departing from Shanghai, China | 9 April | 4 Nights
Tibet has long tantalized the imaginations of travelers with visions of its majestic scenery, colorful
and distinctive culture, glittering religious monuments, and the true devotion of its people to their
own brand of Buddhism. Despite the control asserted by Beijing and a spreading veneer of Chinese culture, a visit to the “Roof of the World” is still an inspiration. In fact the Dalai Lama encourages travelers to visit and learn as much as they can about the country and its people.

 

BEIJING PAST, PRESENT & THE GREAT WALL
Departing from Tianjin, China | 13 April | 1 Night
Discover the highlights of fascinating Beijing and the legendary Great Wall during this two-day
Mid-Voyage Land Adventure. Journey to Beijing and explore the major attractions of China’s capital.

 

KYOTO SOJOURN
Departing from Osaka, Japan | 18 April | 1 Night
Immerse yourself into Japanese history, architecture and customs in a unique way during this
memorable journey to legendary Kyoto. Explore Kyoto’s historic treasures during your visits to the impressive Kyomizu-dera Temple, Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrines. Experience trying on a Kimono in a ‘Machiya’, a Japanese old house, and a special tea ceremony. Savour typical Kyoto Kaiseki lunch and a traditional Geisha dinner. At the end of your two-day exploration of legendary Kyoto, enjoy the comfort of a Bullet train ride to make your way back to the ship.

 

TREASURES OF JAPAN
Departing from Osaka, Japan | 18 April | 3 Nights
Dive into traditional Japanese lifestyle and culture deeply with Shukubo temple stay at Mt. Koya,
Tea Ceremony and Kimono Wearing Experiences. Savor authentic Kiaseki cuisine while enjoying a traditional Geisha performance. Visit Legendary Kyoto with its iconic temples and shrines registered as World Heritage Sites. Top off your trip with a bullet train ride from Kyoto to Tokyo. In Tokyo visit the historical area Asakusa and try an exclusive Teppaniyaki cuisine before joining your ship. Terracotta warriors in Xi’an, China Bamboo forest in Kyoto, Japan
 

I decided to do the Angkor Wat trip, even though it will be really hot and humid there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JSR I'm copying your post so that I can answer in a different colour to make it easier to follow.

 

1) I love this itinerary you are doing, it goes everywhere I want to go to and skips places I do not want to go to.  We are already booked on the SA GV so joining you at the last minute is not an option.  I do not see any WC or GV that are similar. Has this itinerary been offered before? Should I keep my fingers crossed that it will be offered again soon or is that unlikely? (ok, i know you do not have crystal ball but you are amore experienced WC traveler).

 

This is the first time that Silversea is staying in the Pacific for the whole cruise.  That is what appealed to us about the 2024.  I wish I could tell you that it will be repeated at some point.  The survey I completed about thoughts for the 2027 World Cruise did not have an itinerary option like the 2024.

 

2) I like to enlist your help on a packing timeline. When should we actually but clothes in suitcases? Also, what should she take with us verses ship? (Hate to admit this but we could each take 3 additional suitcases on the airplane, however, we have no desire to do this). Do you check luggage or just do a carry on? 

working backwards:

 

Thursday, January, 4 ship departs Ft. Lauderdale

Tuesday, January, 2 we depart Los Angeles for Ft. Lauderdale

Thursday, December 28, we arrive in Los Angeles

???? Silversea Luggage service picks up suitcases in Los Angeles

Friday, December 15- Tuesday December 19 in Los Angeles, (for an event on December 17)

Saturday, November 18 -Tuesday, December 5 in Los Angeles (multiple birthdays, US Thanksgiving, daughter's wedding planning obligations)

 

For this upcoming cruise we are taking 3 checked bags with us to Bridgetown and we are taking 4 pieces of carry on.  I will pack clothes for warm to cool weather in the bags we will take with us.  I will also pack the formal wear, accessories and accompanying shoes in those bags.  The clothes for the colder ports will be packed in the ship ahead along with the items that we decide not to take with us to Bridgetown.

Our luggage is scheduled to be picked up from home for the ship ahead on December 4.  I will start the packing process during the week of November 27th.  I find that the packing goes fairly quickly when I have a list of the items to pack.  I don't like to pack things too early because they will be in the suitcases from about November 30th to December 18th when we board.  No matter how carefully you pack there will be creases after that length of time.  I do use the overlap system which helps..

Once you are informed about a ship ahead luggage pick up date, work back a week to start your packing.  Try to finish packing a few days before pick up because in 2016 FedEx arrived a day earlier than we were told and the bags were not ready.  Lesson learned.

 

3) Do you have any suggestions as to what information we should put in our suitcase in terms of booking information, itinerary?

 

I put copies of our passports. a copy of the itinerary, Myster's cell phone number and the phone number to contact Reception on the ship (in our case Silver Shadow).  Your will find the phone number for Reception in the Sail Away PDF for your ship.

 

If you have further questions, I'll do my best to answer them.  Keep in mind that my answers are based on our experience and others may well have better answers!  😁

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JoGay said:

I decided to do the Angkor Wat trip, even though it will be really hot and humid there.

 

Excellent!  Please let us know what your impressions were on your return.  Thank you!  And enjoy!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One follow up, about when and how will we learn of our pick up date for luggage shipping? 

 

I take it you are taking 3 cases to Bridgetown as your luggage will not join you until San Fran? We only have two days in Ft. Lauderdale before we board and are reunited with our luggage. We could manage with a carry on and cosmetic bag, if we can manage to get all our clothes into 2 shipped bags. 2 bags will be dedicated to supplies I need as a paraplegic, the contents will be used and the two bags will be empty and collapsed on the way back. Hmm. talking to you is really helping me sort this all out. 

 

Two waitlisted excursions cleared today. 

 

Thanks so much for all the help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JSR said:

One follow up, about when and how will we learn of our pick up date for luggage shipping? 

 

I take it you are taking 3 cases to Bridgetown as your luggage will not join you until San Fran? We only have two days in Ft. Lauderdale before we board and are reunited with our luggage. We could manage with a carry on and cosmetic bag, if we can manage to get all our clothes into 2 shipped bags. 2 bags will be dedicated to supplies I need as a paraplegic, the contents will be used and the two bags will be empty and collapsed on the way back. Hmm. talking to you is really helping me sort this all out. 

 

Two waitlisted excursions cleared today. 

 

Thanks so much for all the help!

 

Our ship ahead bags are scheduled to be delivered to the ship in Bridgetown.   However,  sometimes there are snafus.  To be on the safe side we are bringing three checked bags with us to Bridgetown.   If something goes south we won't be wandering around in bathrooms.  😅

 

Because we were requesting an earlier ship date for our luggage to Bridgetown instead of San Francisco,  we asked our travel agent to handle the request with the luggage valet folks at Silversea.  In your case,  I think you will be contacted by email in the first week of December.   They will ask you where they should send the paperwork for the ship ahead and for the address where the bags will be picked up.  They will also ask how many bags you intend to send.

 

Good news about your excursions!  And my pleasure to help where I can! 😁

Edited by mysty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mysty said:

 

Our ship ahead bags are scheduled to be delivered to the ship in Bridgetown.   However,  sometimes there are snafus.  To be on the safe side we are bringing three checked bags with us to Bridgetown.   If something goes south we won't be wandering around in bathrooms.  😅

 

Because we were requesting an earlier ship date for our luggage to Bridgetown instead of San Francisco,  we asked our travel agent to handle the request with the luggage valet folks at Silversea.  In your case,  I think you will be contacted by email in the first week of December.   They will ask you where they should send the paperwork for the ship ahead and for the address where the bags will be picked up.  They will also ask how many bags you intend to send.

 

Good news about your excursions!  And my pleasure to help where I can! 😁

Thank you. I wish I knew now so I could plan as we do not spend much time in December in LA. Oh well I think we will just need to have them packed and ready to go before we leave on December 5. Then a friend or daughter can come tag them for pick up. Luckily we have 24/7 front desk to give them out. It would be great if they were picked up on December 18 when we are there but I think that is a lot to hope for. The holidays makes shipping a longer process I assume. Hmm you are also traveling for twice as long as us so we should be able to take your bag numbers and cut them in half. I love to have choices, so it will be hard not to pack my entire wardrobe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JSR , when you get your paperwork for the ship ahead luggage, write down the tracking numbers for each bag.  Then you will be able to follow their journey to San Francisco.  It will give you peace of mind when you see that they have arrived.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JSR said:

Thank you. I wish I knew now so I could plan as we do not spend much time in December in LA. Oh well I think we will just need to have them packed and ready to go before we leave on December 5. Then a friend or daughter can come tag them for pick up. Luckily we have 24/7 front desk to give them out. It would be great if they were picked up on December 18 when we are there but I think that is a lot to hope for. The holidays makes shipping a longer process I assume. Hmm you are also traveling for twice as long as us so we should be able to take your bag numbers and cut them in half. I love to have choices, so it will be hard not to pack my entire wardrobe. 

 

You could always contact your travel agent and explain your situation.  They may well be able to accommodate you.  And, the paperwork will need to be signed by either you or your spouse.  Not sure that your daughter could do that.  If you booked direct with Silversea your best bet might be to contact Valet@silversea.com.  Good Luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mysty said:

 

You could always contact your travel agent and explain your situation.  They may well be able to accommodate you.  And, the paperwork will need to be signed by either you or your spouse.  Not sure that your daughter could do that.  If you booked direct with Silversea your best bet might be to contact Valet@silversea.com.  Good Luck!

Easy to send paperwork overnight. If I haven’t heard by the time we return to Cali I’ll my TA check. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JoGay said:

I decided to do the Angkor Wat trip, even though it will be really hot and humid there.

There was a report on a news program here, in Australia, last week that Angkor Wat was not seeing the resumption of tourism post-covid that other destinations were seeing. No real explanation of why was given. The bottom line for you is that, if it is quiet, it will make for a very pleasant visit.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mysty said:

@JSR , when you get your paperwork for the ship ahead luggage, write down the tracking numbers for each bag.  Then you will be able to follow their journey to San Francisco.  It will give you peace of mind when you see that they have arrived.

Good idea, will do. We also have an apple tracker in each of our suitcases. Came in handy in Amsterdam when our suitcase fell of the conveyor belt right behind where it comes out, the staff there was clueless. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI Mysty,

I am back... Received an email from SSea reference luggage forward. Pick up is December 27. Now I can plan accordingly. 

 

I see the weight restrictions for the luggage forward bags but not the dimensions, where might I find this information? We have one suitcase that will work well for shoes and clothes though it is a big suitcase. Also do soft sided garment bags do ok being shipped (so much easier then folding dress clothes)?

 

I know this is a touchy subject but I can not seem to find the current Silver Nova dress code information. Do you have a link? (do not want to start a whole thread nor a debate about clothes despite the fact that I find them very amusing). 

 

As always, thank you for your assistance

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, JSR said:

HI Mysty,

I am back... Received an email from SSea reference luggage forward. Pick up is December 27. Now I can plan accordingly. 

 

I see the weight restrictions for the luggage forward bags but not the dimensions, where might I find this information? We have one suitcase that will work well for shoes and clothes though it is a big suitcase. Also do soft sided garment bags do ok being shipped (so much easier then folding dress clothes)?

 

I know this is a touchy subject but I can not seem to find the current Silver Nova dress code information. Do you have a link? (do not want to start a whole thread nor a debate about clothes despite the fact that I find them very amusing). 

 

As always, thank you for your assistance

 

 

Good news about the luggage pick up date!  We have a large soft side suitcase that we were concerned about because it is probably considered oversize.  I inquired about it in 2015 before our first World Cruise and was told it was fine.  It was the weight that was limited.  We used it for 2016 and 2019 and will use it again for 2024.  We've never shipped soft sided garment bags so I can't really answer on that.  Maybe another helpful soul could chime in.

 

I completely understand your concern about opening a can of worms in regard to dress code.  I know I saw a thread specific to the Nova dress code.   I'll try to find it for you.  Hang tight!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...