Hand luggage (those little wheeled cases) question

storkington

Hi all,

We are about to embark on our 2nd cruise ever and this time are only taking hand luggage, one small backpack each and a wheeled hand luggage case each.

Can you take these small cases on board as you embark, or do you need to drop these off like the big suitcases? We will be going from Fort Lauderdale if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

Just now, storkington said:

Hi all,

We are about to embark on our 2nd cruise ever and this time are only taking hand luggage, one small backpack each and a wheeled hand luggage case each.

Can you take these small cases on board as you embark, or do you need to drop these off like the big suitcases? We will be going from Fort Lauderdale if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

You can take it with you. They are set up like the airport security. If you can fit it in their security scanners, there will be no problems taking it through the cruise terminal. I always take my carry-on wheeled luggage on and off myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Navybikermom said:

You can take it with you. They are set up like the airport security. If you can fit it in their security scanners, there will be no problems taking it through the cruise terminal. I always take my carry-on wheeled luggage on and off myself. 

Thank you! Great to know and will make life a lot easier than having to wait for it being brought to the cabin!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, donandmelissa said:

I always take my carry on luggage on board myself.  The pro move is to use a 4 wheeled spinner carry on and a backpack that has a luggage sleeve that slides onto the suitcase's handle.  Makes for easy boarding.  

Yep that is what we have - we travel a lot and try whenever possible to only have hand luggage.

• Like 2

That is exactly what we do as well.....

One roller board carry on and a backpack each and we can travel the world.....And with Holland America Line's great laundry service, it's "rinse and repeat" and we are good to go.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

So do you think I can take just my carry on for a 14 day SAmerica cruise? I really want to just take that and not worry if my luggage takes a detour!

Our next trip up is also to South America.  5 days in Peru (hopefully) and 17 day cruise from Santiago to USA and that is all we are taking (carry on roller bag and backpack).

Our plan is to board the ship with all dirty clothes that go immediately to the laundry.

You will be fine. No need to lug the kitchen sink around with you.

"So do you think I can take just my carry on for a 14 day SAmerica cruise? I really want to just take that and not worry if my luggage takes a detour! "

Yes, it is possible.  Link---> Rick Steves' website has excellent information about traveling carryon only.   It is not possible for me but  I encourage and applaud those who can do it!

• Like 1

You can take them onboard yourself.

Funny story - one time we only brought those small cases, lugging them though the airport, etc.  But when we got to the ship I gave them to the porters.  Naturally it took forever to get to our cabin and I was very worried that they got lost!  Its just the way things happen - lose them on the last leg for being lazy.

So, I decided to carry them all the way to our cabin in future cruises!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ellencruise said:

So do you think I can take just my carry on for a 14 day SAmerica cruise? I really want to just take that and not worry if my luggage takes a detour!

That would depend on the routing your ship is taking. If you are going around the Horn, then you need clothes for two climates. That would be very hard to do with only a carry-on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

That would depend on the routing your ship is taking. If you are going around the Horn, then you need clothes for two climates. That would be very hard to do with only a carry-on. 

Yes. I've traveled a lot with only carry-on luggage (although sometimes I checked a bag, especially if connecting through two other airports). If only one climate is involved, or the second climate is for a limited time and not too extreme, it's possible to travel for any length of time with clothing for only about four days, including what you're wearing. For two climates, it would be much harder, although I've done it for one day at high altitude in the Alps, or starting and ending a warm-climate trip in a cold one, with a packable down-alternative vest to wear under a windbreaker.

BTW, discussions of how light or heavy to pack often go astray with defensive posts arguing in favor of one or the other. It is not a matter of personal virtue to pack light, nor is it a virtue to pack heavy. It's only a matter of convenience and preferred style. Unless you are on a Rick Steves tour, whatever way you choose to pack is the right way for you.

For a 14-day cruise this fall, I will probably take a 28-inch rolling duffel, which has to be checked for air travel, an international-size carry-on that can ride on the rolling bag, and a personal item with a shoulder strap. The itinerary doesn't involve any extremes of climate and I could manage with less, but I don't really want to.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 1

Yes you can carry on board if they fit through the x=ray, which is sometimes smaller (narrower) than an airport x-ray. We were not allowed to when we embarked in Buenos Aries because the x-ray was too small (or our luggage was too big 😁).  Best to have your luggage tags handy so you can tag your bags for the porters just in case. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

BTW, discussions of how light or heavy to pack often go astray with defensive posts arguing in favor of one or the other. It is not a matter of personal virtue to pack light, nor is it a virtue to pack heavy. It's only a matter of convenience and preferred style. Unless you are on a Rick Steves tour, whatever way you choose to pack is the right way for you.

Sometimes people need to have the obvious pointed out to them. 
On my first Antarctica cruise there were passengers who didn't bring cold weather clothes, because after all, we were sailing south! 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Sometimes people need to have the obvious pointed out to them. 
On my first Antarctica cruise there were passengers who didn't bring cold weather clothes, because after all, we were sailing south! 

Good grief!

• Like 1