Cheers Tipping Vs Non Cheers

barriechris

It’s been awhile since we cruised and I can’t remember if there is auto tipping when you aren’t on the cheers package.  

I know 18% is added when you purchase cheers and then you can tip extra if you so choose but if you aren’t on cheers is the same 18% added when you get a drink or do you select a specific tip?

41 minutes ago, barriechris said:

It’s been awhile since we cruised and I can’t remember if there is auto tipping when you aren’t on the cheers package.  

I know 18% is added when you purchase cheers and then you can tip extra if you so choose but if you aren’t on cheers is the same 18% added when you get a drink or do you select a specific tip?

14 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Non Cheers purchase 18% will be added for each drink, plus you can add additional tip

The CHEERS 18% is on the cost of the package so $9.00 something per day no matter how many drinks.  The non CHEERS is 18% on cost of each drink.  Significant difference in benefit to servers.  

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ibarrio said:

Is the Cheers 18% added at the time of purchase or at the end of the trip? 

Also keep in mind that the 18% is calculated on the 54.95 or whatever rate you pay.  At 54.95 it's a little less than $10/day.  That means if you're drinking more than 10 drinks (easily done) it's less than $1/drink.  Remember that when you're trying to decide if an additional tip is warranted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

Been a while since I've been out there, but we used to share a little "cash" with our bartenders directly.  Wonder if they prefer non cash these days?  Any ideas?

I would THINK that cash is still king in that environment.  I could be wrong.  Anecdotally, it seems like I get more "thanks" for cash than when I scribble a tip on the charge slip because I ran out of aces.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

I would THINK that cash is still king in that environment.  I could be wrong.  Anecdotally, it seems like I get more "thanks" for cash than when I scribble a tip on the charge slip because I ran out of aces.

THIS.  Cash is always king.  They get it and can put it straight into their pocket.  Otherwise, all the tips for the sailings are just divided up between all the workers at certain percentages.

Just because you may add an extra couple bucks to the guy actually serving you does NOT mean he is the one that gets it directly.  It goes into a big kitty and is divided up between all workers.

So, if you have a good bartended, tip him cash direct.

15 minutes ago, wemjam said:

THIS.  Cash is always king.  They get it and can put it straight into their pocket.  Otherwise, all the tips for the sailings are just divided up between all the workers at certain percentages.

Just because you may add an extra couple bucks to the guy actually serving you does NOT mean he is the one that gets it directly.  It goes into a big kitty and is divided up between all workers.

Or her!

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

Both cash tips and s&s tips go to the servers.  The CHEERS tips are pooled.  

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Both cash tips and s&s tips go to the servers.  The CHEERS tips are pooled.  

Yes, but if there are 2 or 3 bartenders working the bar, I believe they still share them (that's what a bartender told us once).

So, like I said if you got one that is taking really good care of you - tip them in cash to make sure it goes in their pocket.

5 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Yes, but if there are 2 or 3 bartenders working the bar, I believe they still share them (that's what a bartender told us once).

So, like I said if you got one that is taking really good care of you - tip them in cash to make sure it goes in their pocket.

Of course but that isn't considered "pooled".  When several bartenders work one bar. tips always go into a jar to be split otherwise, each stool would need to be assigned and no one would pour for waiters.