NCL Sun After Refurb

Megamixer

51 minutes ago, DensolandMouthy said:

Ive been on 7 cruises in the last 14 months. Epic, Breakaway, Escape, Epic, Escape, Sky and Sun. 
The Sun was my least favourite of all ships by fat and Id not sail on it again. 

What did you not like about it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DensolandMouthy said:

Ive been on 7 cruises in the last 14 months. Epic, Breakaway, Escape, Epic, Escape, Sky and Sun. 

We are just returned from the Sun Christmas and New Year cruise out of Lisbon.

We have sailed on the Spirit many times and the Jade around the Greek islands but would not sail on the Sun again.

We have sailed on the Spirit many times and the Jade around the Greek islands but would not sail on the Sun again.

47 minutes ago, room with a view said:

What didn't you like?

On 1/5/2023 at 3:34 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Just had a little chuckle over your remark that "she looks good".  I assumed you meant Emma but, of course, you likely meant the ship.  She (Emma) was on the cruise just after ours. 

I did mean the ship but Emma is delightful too 😁.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

What did you not like about it?

The cruise director for one. Entertainment never flowed. They used the tiny Windjammer bar for the incredibly popular Raime ( so no free seats etc ) and wasted the lovely Spinnaker bar at the front for karaoke every night (virtually empty) 

Most of the speciality restaurants are all one big room, separated by a partition and different furniture !

No prizes for trivia 

Not keen on decor. Small atrium ( as an older ship ) 

Food good but not great like others. Ship had a funky smell to it when we got on. 

They do embarkations at various ports so felt more like a ferry than a cruise that we all got on at once. 

The ONLY positive for me was the outstanding itinerary ( Canaries ) and we did 8 excursions. I was on the similar Sky in October ( Caribbean ) and that was much better 

Tiny buffet too

edited - interestingly myself and separate cabin cruiser mate both did not get a post cruise survey … clearly they dont want to know its failings !  
If this had been my first NCL - Id not book with them again. 

Edited by DensolandMouthy
  • Like 1

I was on the Sun last September and absolutely loved the ship.  Very clean, well kept, and service was amazing.  There are a lot of places to sit and people or scenery watch, and not a lot of hustle and bustle. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat and am beyond envy for those doing the TA, it looks like a great itinerary.  On our cruise entertainment was good, as they brought in one of their current comedians...I saw her on the Bliss in January 2022, and there was an excellent tribute to Frank Sinatra which I saw twice.  Loved the Great Outdoors and the buffet had plenty of choices.  We were on Harmony of the Seas last month, Star Class, and while I enjoyed that experience immensly the Sun cruise, inside cabin, was not a lesser cruise by any means.  BTW, some great inside cabins on the Sun.  I was assigned 1024 which had the bed and closet area, and then there was a full couch with more closets facing it.  Bathroom was small and hair dryer reminded me of what it was like when we first started cruising.  Also...little key card holder as you come in the room, an artifact for sure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EngrJones said:

What didn't you like?

Small Atrium with a corner  for the entertainment ...excellent group with piano, guitar, drums , sax and trumpet but few seats.

Windjammer had a singer/guitarist called Ramie who packed this place but once again few seats. The Spinnaker - on previous cruises this had been the heart of the entertainment was given over to karaoke every night .

We had an exceptional female singer who did a tribute to Queen, a impressive violinist from Budapest an English male singer (excellent) but the "in house" entertainment was dire. 

We had the same magician three times.

The ship is old and shows it . There is a pervading smell at aft . Eat in the main dining room on aft and the floor will shake under you. 

The itinerary was good a different port everyday ...food was good though some  starters and desserts were repetitive.

There is a whole floor above the atrium given over to "cruise next".

With passengers embarking at various ports it seemed like a ferry - much prefer a set  "get on " for everyone.

Plastic shower curtain and hose type attached hair dryer. (though they will loan you a hand held.)

Would not cruise on the Sun again.

• Like 1

"Most of the speciality restaurants are all one big room, separated by a partition and different furniture !"

Is this something they did with all the ships refurbished in 2018?  I noticed that on the Jewel last month.  We were eating in Cagneys and waiters kept going by our table to the kitchen with their meat skewers from Moderno.  There were several restaurants grouped together on one of the upper decks.  I don't remember this from before.  It seems they were more spread out.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, Megamixer said:

Is anyone currently on the Sun or have sailed recently that can post some pictures or details about the refurb?  We're thinking of booking the transatlantic in April.  I recently got off the Jewel for the Christmas cruise and was pleasantly surprised at the updates.  Will I be just as happy with the Sun's?

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2023 at 6:50 AM, gravitar said:

Anyone know if the Sun will get a Starbucks and or if the FAS+ or Premium+ beverage package includes the Starbucks served at the Java?

Was hoping someone would know! 🙂