NCL Sun After Refurb

Megamixer

Is anyone currently on the Sun or have sailed recently that can post some pictures or details about the refurb?  We're thinking of booking the transatlantic in April.  I recently got off the Jewel for the Christmas cruise and was pleasantly surprised at the updates.  Will I be just as happy with the Sun's?

i'm going end of january if you can wait till then. The suns current itinerary seems awfully quiet! When was sun last in dry dock? i wasn't aware it was recently refurbed. i booked entirely on price as they cancelled asia and the reposition to europe was stupidly cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megamixer said:

I believe the refurb was during 2018 

(Edit - I just checked; 2018 the same time the Jewel was.)

The Jewel went into dry dock during Covid for an additional refurbishment that focused on the cabins and the public lounges.  On her next dry dock Moderno and O’Sheehan’s will be replaced with Los Lobos and the Local while La Cucina will be replaced with Onda.

Further, part of the reason why the Jewel looks so incredible is all surfaces in all public areas were sanded down and varnished by the crew (specifically wait staff) before they were repatriated.  They did the filigree on the dining room ceiling as well.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The Jewel went into dry dock during Covid for an additional refurbishment that focused on the cabins and the public lounges.  On her next dry dock Moderno and O’Sheehan’s will be replaced with Los Lobos and the Local while La Cucina will be replaced with Onda.

We're contemplating a cruise on the Jewel in 2024...so it would be fun to see these changes.  When are they supposed to take place...?  (We were on the Jewel in September and there was no word of that back then.)

18 hours ago, Kirstys1 said:

i'm going end of january if you can wait till then. The suns current itinerary seems awfully quiet! When was sun last in dry dock? i wasn't aware it was recently refurbed. i booked entirely on price as they cancelled asia and the reposition to europe was stupidly cheap. 

We did the same. Currently on the Christmas and New Year Sailing. Not the best of cruises even for the price. The crew are absolutely amazing and the food very good. No entertainment worth watching or what does sound good is in the small Windjammer.  Only buffet food during the day in very crowded areas .  NCL is our favourite cruise line but this sailing is giving many on board, including us, doubts about booking with them again 

Edited by deniseatnycs

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

We were on the recent Sun trans-Atlantic (Miami/NYC to Lisbon) and thought the ship looked fine.  Entertainment just okay, crew great, cabin bigger than expected.  No complaints, especially given that it was very inexpensive.  

Thanks for the reply.  It seems we'll be doing this cruise in reverse of your sailing.  This particular one is perfect for us.  I don't like flying to Europe and back; this one is great because we'll fly to Europe in the beginning when we're excited then just have a short flight home at the end.  Also the longest stretch of sea days is 3 which makes my husband happy.  We haven't been to any of these ports including Bermuda so it'll all be new to us.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, teachberry said:

We were on the Sun in September for an Alaskan cruise. Everything looked great. I'll see if I can load photos...found my photos... apparently I didn't take a lot of the ship!

IMG_20220914_111245461_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220908_184631316.jpg

IMG_20220908_101944849.jpg

IMG_20220906_122759704.jpg

Pictures!  Thanks!  It looks nice; I like the turquoise.

Your comment "apparently I didn't take a lot of pictures of the ship" is funny. We've sailed on the Sun twice. I looked through my pictures and I had pics of the cabin and of the chocolate buffet (remember those?). None of the atrium, dining rooms or theater. 

Edited by Megamixer
  • Haha 1

A recent video tour of the Sun. The ship looks to be in great shape.

A video tour of an inside cabin on the Sun. Toward the end is a tour of the bathroom showing the fabric shower curtain and hair dryer. Sounds like you can request a regular hair dryer.

• Like 1

i actually dont mind small cabins, as i only sleep and shower in them... i usually book a studio on a bigger ship. I'm on the sun in 3 weeks and can't wait! Has anyone done the lisbon cruise, just wondering how check in and boarding went for the check in time?? 

1 hour ago, Kirstys1 said:

i actually dont mind small cabins, as i only sleep and shower in them... i usually book a studio on a bigger ship.

I don't mind them either but when you have more than one person in a smaller cabin (or European hotel room) there is always the "you are in my way" factor.  A person who is alone cannot get in their own way when moving about no matter how small the space is.   I absolutely love the look of those cute little "tiny houses" on TV.  I'm sure I could live in one happily since I am very tidy, not claustrophobic and not a pack rat.  Alas, I am happily married and unwilling to ditch the hubby, lol. 

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Haha 1