Flying in LHR for cruise, advice please

CeCe_

Hello, we will be flying into Heathlow at 7am on weekday for a Princess cruise on the same day.  Do we have time to do a short trip to Harrods before catching the Princess transfer at LHR?

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Hello, we will be flying into Heathlow at 7am on weekday for a Princess cruise on the same day.  Do we have time to do a short trip to Harrods before catching the Princess transfer at LHR?

There is a Harrods outlet in the airport so if you're tight on time you might be better off waiting until the day you're flying home. At the moment there's a bunch of strikes around the uk with various unions looking for better conditions, 2 of which could definitely impact on your plan. 

Border agents and the rail union are both striking at random dates and locations, so the Border control could delay you getting out of the airport and then the rail would normally be the quickest way into the city and they're having strikes too. 

• Like 2

What time is the transfer? What do you plan to do with your bags? What are you wanting to see? It's a huge department store...

It "probably" can be done. The maps show about 45 minutes each way on the Piccadilly line to Knightsbridge. Heathrow Express to Paddington is 15 minutes (once you get to the HEX station, which sometimes feels like a different time zone...) and currently showing around 20 minutes or so by cab from Paddington. A little faster but quite a bit more expensive. And the same for reverse. There is luggage storage at the airport; I'll defer to a recent traveler as to ease of use. 

If this is something you want to do, it's probably at least worth exploring the train from London to Southampton and not have to double back to Heathrow. Might create more rather than less luggage issues, but I'd at least look into it.

Where's JB when I need him to bail me out?!

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

My weakness is I love huge department stores!  😜  Sounds like I can easily spend a day in the gorgeous huge Harrods!   My trip is not due until Fall therefore I have a bit of time to learn and plan.  I am a poor packer; we will have several luggages.    If I we spent a day at Harrods, we might as well add one or two more luggage. 

The train sounds like a good idea; make sense not to circle back to the airport after Harrods.  We have to figure out a way to get rid of the luggages first.  

Our post cruise flight leaving at around 1pm, 😞  Sounds like we need to make London a separate land trip.  

Find a way to add a day on the front. 3-5 is better, but at least add a day or two. You're already taking the time and flying over there...

Harrods is more than a huge department store. It is that, and it is huge. It is a temple to consumerism. You can spend an afternoon in the food hall alone. Fortunately for me, everything is outrageously expensive and the cute Harrods bears in duty free at Heathrow fill any purchase needs. But pretty much everything is over the top, and with VAT, over the top expensive. There are other places I consider more "British" in London, but not even Selfridges has as much high end product under one roof!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

@gnome12, Good point and thanks for bringing it up.  We will be flying in from US on BA.   Now I am a little worried.  Maybe we should be arriving a day early.

Yes. If you can at all. At least one day!

• Like 1

By the time you have cleared immigration, collected your luggage, and travelled to Harrods,  you will have, at best, a maximum of three hours there,  and even then you will be cutting it fine. 

Fly in a day before - it is the sensible solution, regardless of any trip to Harrods.  

• Like 1