Beyond Live Jan 8 to Jan 22

mperrizo

21 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

@mperrizo - Would you let us know what time you arrive in Costa Maya ? I’m on this itinerary on 2/29 and the app is completely different to the published port times and our original timings .

If you're on this itinerary  on 2/29, I hope you mean next year (2024) because there is no 2/29 this year 😆

On 1/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, mperrizo said:

When we opened the door we were greeted with a bottle of Moët and Chocolate covered strawberries. 

maybe i missed it but where did the champagne and strawberries come from? gift from dw?

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Thanks for the great review. I'm on Beyond Feb 26th. I have a question for you. Looking at the dinner menus, on the app, all of the main restaurants have the same Celebrity Signature Entrees except Cyprus. They appear to be different each night there. Is this your experience?

I believe that is a typo as the Celebtity Signature has been the same across the four dinning rooms for each night.

• Like 1

Today marks the 2nd port stop of 4 on the western leg of our B2B. This morning may have been the latest we arrived to the walking track and it appears our entire ship chose to sleep in today. After a few laps on the outdoor track it was time for coffee at the back of Oceanview Cafe I felt lonely for this bartista as we were the only ones at the back of the ship at 7:30 and had two order two lattes this morning. On deck this morning it is a little breezy but the sun is out and about 80 degrees. 

After a quick bite for breakfast and a fresh out of the oven croissant we went to get our pool gear. Unlike the previous day chairs in prime locations were still available all the way to our docking in Costa Maya.

In Costa Maya we have no plans after being here several times and plan on just visiting the pier area. If you have never been to Costa Maya you can make the pier area an exciting experience but it is a very sanitized experience much like the new port Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. In addition to offering shopping, bars and restaurants, the area has several experiences on site.

At few minutes before 11:00 our forward progress slowed and the Pilot Boat approached. As we then continued to approach the Pier the Ruby Princess was already in Port and we approached the pier Bow first and performed a 180  maneuver in moderate wind and chop to safely secure to the pier with the aid of the current and wind. I am always amazed at the technology at use and the amazing nimbleness that they can provide to arrive at the pier with such grace compared to me in a kayak.

After the docking maneuver the ship was cleared to go ashore at 2 minutes prior to 12:00 and the open deck space of those watching our arrival cleared. DW and I chose to stay on board for a while and went shoreside  using the starboard door at the destination gateway on deck 2 after a relaxing read by the pool.

DW and I decided to walk the pier and enjoyed the view and the breeze while browsing. We stopped at Lucha Libre for a snack and a cocktail and were disappointed that wrestling still has not come back. Whenever we have stopped here after Covid  we keep hearing 6 more months. The walk around the pier complex was nice taking in the sites and people enjoying the dolphin discovery and avery. After our walk we were back on the pool deck of the beyond as we were not scheduled to sail to Cozumel until 6:30pm. Speaking to fellow guests pool side  several excursions were cancelled today due to the wind and sea conditions. 

As we set pool side the force of the ocean today was on display with waves striking the bow of the ship and spraying sea mist across the pier. In addition you could see the pool on deck 14 responding to the waves striking the ship while we were still secure to the pier. 

At 5:00pm DW and I decided we had seen enough of the Costa Mayan sun and headed down to the room to to prepare for another night on the wonderful Beyond. We have diner tonight at Le Petit Chef there is also a comedian Steve Caouette we saw last week and the cosmic Nights Deck party as we sail towards Cozumel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, scaught said:

maybe i missed it but where did the champagne and strawberries come from? gift from dw?

We still are not sure. We believe because the  With Compliments card it came from one of two officers. Earlier in the day when we were waiting to dine  we got into a conversation about last weeks cruise with these two officers. We shared our thoughts on a great staff member, who we also mentioned on our survey, as we witnessed them go above and beyond the normal excellence you receive from crew.

It was a few hours after this interaction the surprise delivery was in our room. If it wasn’t the two officers it could be for any reason or better yet they just delivered it to the wrong room.

• Like 1

We began to set sail at 6:45 with an all aboard at 6:30 the punctuality of the ship has been a welcome surprise. While setting sail we were pleased to listen to the cellist Magda who is just an amazing artist. During her performance at the Martini bar there were two distraction the first Le Petit’s sound track which bleeds into the Grand Plaza and the other the two cruisers to my left. As we tried to take in the evening we watched this couple complain to the bar manager about the lack of juggling with every drink and also complaining that the wonderful cellist was not playing music they like as they wanted music from the 60s or 70s. As the cellist was finishing an under appreciated version of Stings “Fields of Gold” I offered to get them a daily planner from my room so they could find music they liked. That ended the conversation….

We decided to move to another bar and picked up a good vibe again at the World Class Bar and were convinced to go see Steve Caouette again. When walking in to the comedian a long time friend of DW and I reached out who had stumbled upon our review. CL hello and thanks for following along. 

CL asked some great questions on our Celebrity thoughts.

Average age — 65 or more for our two weeks.

Entertainment — Great “we are on the flagship”

Food — it is cruise ship food, despite people complaining we have gotten what we expected in main dinning rooms and premium dinning has exceeded our expectations. 

CL hoped I helped…

When the comedy show started Tim the cruise director told us the guest count for this week is 2104. We decided to stick around for Steve with the cruise ship companions we had met up for a cocktail with and we’re glad we did. After seeing his first show last week we decided it was the same format but he plays so much off the audience that it goes in different directions within a similar framework.

The comedy show ran a little late and we walked into our dinner reservation with only 2 minutes to spare. If you know me you know I do not like being late. Thankfully we were saved by a couple who I believe  had know clue what they booked for dinner as they walked in 15 minutes late and for what was about to be a wonderful experience. 

Le Petit for us will be a one and maybe done as we probably won’t do it again but it was a great evening. We did the wine pairing with dinner and our sommelier in this venue was the best we have had in two weeks a young man from South Africa named Joshua. This young man at just over the legal US drinking age knows more about wine than I will in a lifetime. On top of his knowledge he was a great conversationalist and along with the staff helped make the dinner for the four tables who attended the late seating enjoyable.

My favorite dish was the tomato tart and DW was the beet salad as we substituted the shrimp dish. On top of this Le Petit has the best short rib we have had on board so far. Saying that reminds me think that they overuse short ribs on board, so save up on eating short ribs at home before boarding. I believe the only real critique we have of Le Petit is location. Just like the music from the show could be overheard the music in the Grand Plaza the inverse was true in Le Petit. With the technology used for this show I doubt moving it is an option however I bet it would be possible to improve the sound barriers.

Following the just over 90 minute dining experience including the hold time for our late friends we wandered the ship. Tonight has felt the quietest of any night, which helped us enjoy quiet conversation prior to walking the upper decks in preparation for the under the stars party at 10:45. The under star party looked like it may only be 15 of us with at least 5 being staff. This could be the reduced passenger count, average age or the fact that it was 80 degrees with 80% humidity moderate sea chop and windy. 

We slowly made our way back downstairs to watch and extended chandelier show as several of the martini bar tenders were now practicing for tomorrow. After hanging there for a bit it was off to bed to prepare for our arrival in Cozumel tomorrow at 0715, though if we would put the throttle down we could be there tonight by midnight. 

Plans in Cozumel are a throw back to previous years to go experience the downtown area despite the piers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Moochi said:

Thank you for the wonderful review!

May I ask what kind of straws are used in bars? Paper, or those “plant plastic” that performs just like plastic?

I believe it is the plant plastic based on texture. The wrapper says the product is www.strawfish.co

1 hour ago, mperrizo said:

I believe it is the plant plastic based on texture. The wrapper says the product is www.strawfish.co

Thank you so much for checking. Good to know that we don’t have to bring our own straws. These Strawfish straws perform almost as good as plastic but much less harmful to the planet.

• Like 1

Before the sun had fully risen  I was out getting a few laps in while we were approaching the Pier in Cozumel. Passengers were allowed to walk on shore at a few minutes after 7:00. I am not sure many folks were aware we had cleared unless they are early risers or have an excursion booked. No formal announcement was made this morning that I noticed in the public spaces.

The pool or resort deck is wonderfully lit at night or in this case this morning. It is worth the detour one evening or early morning to see how thoughtful this was done in the ships design.

As I was beginning to think about stopping for another cup of coffee two cruise ships started to arrive at the neighboring piers the Carnival Vista and the Disney Dream. 

This morning the Beyond’s approach to our pier was slow and methodical as we performed a 180 and secured ourselves on the Port Side. As my laps came to an end we had an up close up view of the Legend preforming this same maneuver. Just as yesterday I am fascinated by the marvels of these massive ships and the precision in which they are operated. The legends maneuver from the beginning of their turn to their lines being dropped took approximately 45 minutes.

I had one last quick coffee with a hazy view across the way at the mainland of Mexico and Playa Del Carmen and excursions vessels were already taking off to the south. We decided to go shopping in the Port area. Seeing nothing of interest to us we bought a bottle of vanilla as requested for DMIL and reboarded to drop it off in our room. The destinations gateway on Beyond is so well laid out and designed that it really avoids lines to get on or off the ship.

After the quick stop at our room we were off to Oceanview Cafe.  After grabbing a fresh chocolate croissant  and another cup of coffee we enjoyed watching the Carnival Horizon and Brilliance of the Seas join us in Cozumel. We took bottles of water to fight the heat and humidity and we were heading back off to grab a cab to The Thirsty Cougar. Originally we had planned to walk but with a few clouds looking like it may provide a rain shower and the walk on google maps looks further than I remember a taxi it was to be.

When getting a taxi out of the pier, if you follow the signs to taxis you will eventually get to the taxi area, but only after you have been lead past almost every shop. When exiting turn left and go to senior frogs and you will cut your walk and the shops you pass in half.

After making our way to the  taxi stand we were off an on our way with no wait to The Thirsty Cougar. The taxi ride for 4 of us took 10 minutes at the pre-set price of $8.00. The Thirsty Cougar is just North of the downtown pier and has an ocean side view. We had some wonderful Mexican food and even better fresh fruit margaritas. The frozen margaritas looked like an adult sundae! 

Drinks and lunch for four were 2600 peso using my Credit Card and asking them to run the charge as a peso the conversion rate my credit card company uses saved about $13.00 USD compared to what they were quoting on the receipt of $157 if paid in USD. The area around the restaurant was nice to walk around and tour on your own and we felt very safe. After a stroll through the area and a stop at the local 7-11 for two beers and two waters which was only $4.00USD we made our way ti the main drag and were back in a taxi for the pre-set $8.00USD fare to the pier. Most taxi operators no the location Beyond ports as the Royal Caribbean Pier. The drive back took about 15 minutes due to traffic returning to the piers. As we drove back we saw a few beachside restaurants across from the Baru which would be in walking distance we may try next time. However I would probably miss the food, atmosphere and amazing margaritas of The Thirsty Cougar.

It was a perfect day and visiting downtown is  something in Cozumel we had not done in ages. After our adventures we were pool side with beverage in hand at 2:00pm for a 3:30 all aboard. As we set out pool side just prior to 3:30 it began to pour. As we moved to the solarium to finish out the day the rain bouncing off the solarium rooftop was reminiscent of the high pressure rinse in the car wash.

At just a few minutes after 4:00 we had left the pier we decided to go down and get ready for the evening. As we were walking into our room we had quite a shock as we were eye level to watching the pilot boats arrival. Amazing to see that exchange in such close proximity. 

Tonight we set sail for our last port of call Grand Cayman on this B2B and also plan on attending the 5:00pm officers gathering for Elite members and above as well as dinner at Le Voyage at an early time for us of 6:30.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the awesome report. We are on Beyond in April for a 7 night cruise. We are aqua class.
Never having been on an E Class ship we were curious as to your thoughts of any must do or attends on the Beyond. Do you have copies of the Daily’s? Maybe been posted already. We are in our 60’s not art people, like silent disco, Martini Bar, and Full Moon Party on other classes of Celebrity ships.

Just curious if you have recommendations.

11 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Thanks for the awesome report. We are on Beyond in April for a 7 night cruise. We are aqua class.
Never having been on an E Class ship we were curious as to your thoughts of any must do or attends on the Beyond. Do you have copies of the Daily’s? Maybe been posted already. We are in our 60’s not art people, like silent disco, Martini Bar, and Full Moon Party on other classes of Celebrity ships.

Just curious if you have recommendations.

I think the musts so far have been any show in Eden followed by the production cast theater shows. Dinner in Eden and Le Voyage were also over the top experiences. We have really enjoyed the martini bar as well as the ship itself. The silent disco was great as well.

A few minutes before 5:00 we made our way to Eden for the Senior Officer program with Captains Club guests Elite or higher. This event was rescheduled from our earlier sea day. We skipped it last week but as Royal Diamond Plus who were gifted Elite status in Celebrity’s  loyalty programs we wanted to see what the difference was in loyalty cocktail programs.

Biggest difference we noticed was the quality of drinks and Hors D'oeuvre quality. The other difference was the entertainment quality of the duo playing was wonderful. In addition as we left the officer staff was readily available to engage with guests and we had a wonderful conversation with Captain Kate and DW got a photo with.

After the Officers gathering we made our way for a cocktail at the Martini Bar before heading to Le Voyage for dinner. The ship feels less congested this evening and it really has felt empty at times this week.

Dinner at Le Voyage the only thing really to say is wow! We did not do the tasting menu as it had a short rib on the menu and we have had short ribs everywhere it seems. We made our own way through the a la carte menu and had a wonderful dinner of the tuna, cauliflower and  onion tart for appetizers, followed by the lamb chops and the duck pithivier for entrees. Following a brief break and a switch out of wine desert was over the top with a Ethiopian coffee and the chocolate desert and a pineapple Mille-Feuille desert followed by a basket of Madelines. This experience was enjoyed by DW and I with great food and service e with Roy and sommelier Leo that we canceled our Garden Grill reservation to go back tomorrow. 

Dinner took just a little over an hour and afterward we made our way to the world class bar for music from the Grand Plaza and then to the Club for the 8:30 show of Jazz Joint. This show featured the Eden cast and though it great energy we have preferred there shows in Eden. Prior to the show we had the chance to visit with a cast member and confirmed it was the main production cast that rotates off after this cruise. 

After the energizing show we stopped by the Martini bar on our way to the room to celebrate with a couple who had just gotten engaged. Their engagement they said was in a perfect setting of the sunset bar as we sailed from Cozumel in route to Grand Cayman in one of the tucked away seating areas as the sun was beginning to rest on the ocean’s surface. 

• Like 2

This morning started out as normal with waking up earlier than planned. Today I do not think it was because of a noise, sun coming in around the curtain, or movement of the ship I just think in the past two weeks I have now gotten use to being up and out prior to 6:30. As I made my way to find a cup of coffee the ship felt busier this morning than the other early mornings in the public spaces.

After a morning coffee it was time for some laps around the track to help pass the time as we sailed towards our last port stop of Grand Cayman in this B2B which we were scheduled to start tender operations at 10:15.

After the morning laps we decided to try something new for breakfast and try the counter service in Eden. This had been a hit for lunch but was not to be a hit for breakfast. After trying two dishes DW and mine we decided we would stick with the reliable Oceanview Cafe. Besides the over cooked poached egg the Oceanview Cafe delivered its reliable normal breakfast. 

After getting our plates we made it back to the rear of the  Oceanview Cafe to find it emptier than normal as the back bar was closed. Upon further inspection a sign was posted that due to local regulation this bar has been closed and to please use the designated bar. Following the advice of the sign I found the pool bar to be the designated bar for my morning Bloody Mary and in speaking with the bartender they would be the only location open until after we left Grand Cayman today.

As we approached 9:15 in the morning Grand Cayman came into view along with our mooring mates Serenade of the Seas. We began to formulate our plan for the day in Cafe al Bacio. Being Elite members we had priority tender access so a few minutes before 10:00 we went to the designated location with beach gear in hand. By 10:05 the Captain’s Club group was being escorted to deck 2 to be on the first tender. I was excited to see how they would utilize the magic carpet for this operation however upon reaching the destination gateway it was obvious we would not be using the carpet and just stepping out the gangway. I am not sure if this is due to the design of the Cayman ferries or just a change today but it still operated efficiently with two boarding locations utilized in the morning. 

We had decided today would be a beach day in the 7 mile beach area we just didn’t know where. On the quick 5 minute ferry ride we decided we would hop in the first taxi headed that way and get off at the seven mile stop. Taxi’s in Grand Cayman are more like minibuses that they were filling up with approximately 20 passengers before departing for 7 mile beach. Our first stop was Public Beach. After a 15 minute ride we all liked out of the bus after paying $6.00USD each for the one way transportation. 

At Public Beach (which is in between Harbor House and the Seafire if you can not find Public Beach on a map) we found two chairs and an umbrella for $20.00. The area also had public use restrooms and changing rooms along with vendors on the path from the parking lot offering souvenirs, water, sodas and beer. 7 mile beach was wonderful   And offered a great day in the hot Cayman sun without a cloud in the sky. We enjoyed watching individuals out on the rental jet ski/wave runners from the beach and also being pulled around on ocean inflatables from the area. 

The beach also has a paved path that we walked from Public Beach to Seafire to check out the resort. We may have to look at coming back and visiting directly as it looked to be a great property. After a few hours at the beach we decided to go back to the ferry terminal area and explore. The ride back was also $6.00USD each and the operator took us back with one other couple after waiting just a moment or two to see if she could increase her cargo for the run with more passengers.

Once in the ferry terminal and surrounding area we explored a few different shops and noticed several closed. This was our first time back to Grand Cayman since they reopened to tourism in late spring 2022 so we are not sure if this was because it was a slow Friday in Port or if these ships didn’t survive the tourist shutdown in Grand Cayman. We purchased two bottles from the duty free in the ferry terminal which will be delivered to the ship for us. After walking around and eating a local delicacy patties we stopped for a local beer at the terminal and then decide to make our way to the ferry. From the time we left the bar to our stateroom to drop off the port towels was under 20 minutes. This was a vast improvement from the last time we visited Grand Cayman which maybe it was my timing but I remember long lines and waiting about an hour from arrival at the ferry terminal to I was back on board the cruise ship.

We made our way up to the Oceanview cafe for a quick bite and then set by the pool waiting for Sailaway. The last ferry was scheduled to depart the terminal at 4:15 this evening but we had several still arrive later. 

With the pool bar being the only location open on board for a libation while in port the bar felt like most pool bars on a cruise ship that I remember with a slight wait for a drink with 6 bartenders standing shoulder to shoulder. Adrian had warned me this morning it would be crazy compared to what I had grown accustomed to. 

The pool area also was very busy with people cheering on during some of the poolside activities. One of the things that surprised us it does not appear the pool has been vacuumed in two days as there is plant debris that seems to have blown in from the plants in the high winds or rain storm.

The ferry operation seems to conclude a little after 4:40pm and by 5:15 we were pivoting to follow the Serenade of the Seas away from Grand Cayman on our way for a Sea Day before returning to Fort Lauderdale to conclude our B2B.

Tonight we are planning on taking in the main theater cast production of Arte which will be there last performing night on board and then to dinner at Le Voyage again. After that if we can stay awake until 11:00 Eden for the last Eden production show we have not seen Paradise. Then to bed to rest and prepare for our last day on board.

I have had several requests for copies of the daily schedules that I will try and post here or on our Facebook page when we get home. If you have any specific questions that take being on the ship I can try and research and answer them tomorrow so please ask away.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great review, I sail on her on a TransAtlantic.  With LeVoyage I know this can be done but need to make sure.  The entrees don't have any vegetarian options.  If have a chance, not priority, ask them if this is a common request.  Im figuring out if Im booking it beforehand and this will help.  Enjoy your cruise.  Sounds like.a great time so far

13 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Thanks for the great review, I sail on her on a TransAtlantic.  With LeVoyage I know this can be done but need to make sure.  The entrees don't have any vegetarian options.  If have a chance, not priority, ask them if this is a common request.  Im figuring out if Im booking it beforehand and this will help.  Enjoy your cruise.  Sounds like.a great time so far

I will try and clarify if we see the chef for Le Voyage out and about again today. My gut, from our experience, is it could be possible with advance notice. We made a few adaptations which they could accommodate but they were unable to accommodate all of them as sauces or broths had already been constructed.

We made it back to the local watering holes of the martini bar and then the world class bar after a brief stop at the sunset bar for what was probably the best sunset of the cruise so far.

After a little bit of a bar crawl we were off to get seats to the 7:30 showing of Arte. Good seats in the theater are normally pretty easy to obtain due to its size. Our definition of a good seat was anything in the center sections because the use of the curved screen as part of the production shows. Tonight the theater was fuller than any other night we had seen in both cruises but seats were still available.

They announced that this presentation of ARTE was the last show for this production cast before going on vacation. It was enjoyable to see so many people there and it explained the crowd when we realized other staff from all departments and specifically the entertainment staff show out to support this cast. It also appeared that in addition to the Eden cast the new main theater cast was here to watch. DW and I thought this show was just as amazing as the week prior. For those joining the Beyond in the future I hope the main theater cast in the future is just as good.

After Arte we made our way back to Le Voyage. Even though we are on the same sailing the menu had been slightly tweaked from the day prior. Tonight we tried not to repeat any dishes besides  a desert. This Chocolate desert and the wonderful meal the night prior brought us back.

Tonight for appetizers we had the King Crab cocktail, Beet and Carrot Salad, and a unique beef tartare. Our appetizers were followed by the Filet and a Lobster Risotto

for our entrees. DW favorite dish tonight was the Filet but it took a few attempts for them to serve at a correct Medium Rare temperature. After our entrees we enjoyed the same chocolate desert from last night that goes great with the warm madelines and a Raspberry Pavlova they brought for us to try. At the end of the day service from

Roy our waiter and Leo who were both our Sommelier two nights in a row was unlike any service we have received on any cruise ship.

After a nice leisurely dinner which took just over 90 minutes tonight, because we were chatting with cruise friends at a nearby table, we were off to Eden. We walked into Eden just prior to 10:20 for the 11:00pm show. Arriving early we got prime seats at the bar but by 10:35pm all of the seats on the main level had been taken and the venue was filling up fast. Sitting at the bar we were able to have cocktails as the time passed and also enjoy the Cellist who preformed prior to the show beginning.

Paradise was another enjoyable production by the Eden cast. With four different shows conducted by this group please get a prime seat for at least one as they are all great. We had the ability to go you all four at some point over the B2B and tonight’s was our least favorite. This is not to say it was bad in any way we just felt it did not have a story line that brought out the energy the other shows provided.

After a wonderful final port day for our B2B in Grand Cayman and enjoyable evening on board we were beat and by midnight had made it to the stateroom for the evening.

• Like 4

I thought the ship would be quiet this morning as I was up on the top decks for an amazing sunrise and to get a few laps in. Besides the dedicated few it was dead this morning until about 7:30 when all of the  chair hogs  began to come out of the depths of the ship. With coffee in hand as I finished my walk this has become a morning ritual to observe.  I think one of the best parts is the look of w chair hogs have because someone beat them to the punch. After about a half hour of reading and observing it was time to go have breakfast.

Breakfast this morning was back at the Oceanview Cafe. Though most of are breakfasts have been here over the B2B there has been enough variety that we have been able to at least keep it different though it has been very repetitive. It does appear the chef has once again tried to have the former biscuit maker and gravy maker change positions again, I decided to pass and was happy with my fresh fruit and a egg scramble this morning.

After breakfast it was off to the room to get ready for the day poolside. When I entered the room and also grabbed the daily planner I was once again reminded of our upcoming departure as our Stateroom attendant had left last night luggage tags Group 11 for us along with the instructions for disembarking with our planner. 

It seems surreal that our B2B is coming to a close but it has been a great un-rushed experience. In most 7 day cruises I often find myself trying to fit in more than I should for the experience value. Doing a B2B slowed that desire down and gave more time as there were more tomorrows that something could be scheduled. The only downside of a B2B was the main or free dinning repetitiveness that you might avoid on a longer single sailing. 

Despite the desire being slowed to do as much as possible I did have a desire for a pool chair. This being our last day on board 

I thought DW and I should go up to the pool deck before all of the chairs were lost to the hogs. As we returned to the deck chairs were still plentiful and it was time to get back into my book as folks swam laps in the main pool. Unlike our last day at sea on this leg of the B2B it seems that no one has booked a Cabana today.

As the morning carried on the sun finally climbed above the starboard side cabana structural and the magic carpet to begin to warm the pool deck. Sailing eastbound this morning the temps are slightly less than Grand Cayman accompanied by the breeze made by our progress through the waters on the way to Fort Lauderdale. At the 10:00am navigational brief Captain Kate informed us that the land we could see off into the distance to the South was the Cuban coast line, a destination we still want to explore when possible, was just 10 miles away.

After a few applications of sun screen and visits to Adrian at the pool bar it was time for a light snack as dinner was planned earlier then most tonight at 6:30 at the Fine Cut Steakhouse. Wanting to try one more cookie from Eden DW and I made our way for a cookie and a salad to split. After another great lunch in Eden we stuck our head in Oceanview Cafe looking for cruising friends. Just like last week on the final sea day it seems the quality and choices of food upgraded on pre survey delivery day. DW and I both thought we will need to try and walk through tonight’s dinner buffet to see if the trend continues.

After a full day by the pool the clouds started to increase in cover at the conclusion of the 3:30pm Pool Olympics which has been fun to watch both weeks. Following the Pool Olympics it was time to get one more pool bar libation and head to deck 3 to finish our packing and get ready for our last night on the Beyond with dinner at Fine Cut and the last show Magician Matt Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After packing and putting our suit cases out with tag 11 it was time to head to the Martini Bar where we found the music loud tonight. After a few cocktails our favorite bartenders were close by and we tipped them both discreetly. In both cases we saw them places the tip in the communal jar and ring the bell. As we noticed other patrons bellying up to the bar it did not matter which one of the five took a tip or an envelope the bell was rung and the communal jar received the cash or the envelope. 

Just as it is amazing to watch their team work at the bar for customer service or the chandler show it was just as amazing to watch them keep that teamwork. After a few drinks it was time for dinner at the fine cut.

Our service at the fine cut was good but did not compare to Le Voyage. We had a wonderful server Johan and Sommelier Alister. The Sommelier introduced us to a  Italian red that we would have never tried and decanted what was a wonderful wine. Dinner service here was no different than a state side steak house (this does not mean Texas Roadhouse). Hi-lights tonight included the Tuna Tare tar, and Burrata and tomato salad for appetizers. Our entree was the tomahawk chop for two which was great but should have been cut table-side as its plating precut was just odd. Deserts included a good cheesecake and what would have been an amazing warm brownie dish it just needed 2 more minutes in the oven as it was more of a batter dish.

During dinner sitting next to the chandler we enjoyed looking down on the martini bar but found the music loud until they adjusted it between groups. Dinner took about 75 minutes before we made our way to the Casino.

Though we had only lost $1.00 in two weeks I conceived DW that we should try out our luck at the slots prior to cashing out our winnings. After she lost $32.00 to bring are grand total to a loss of $33.00 on this B2B she decided it was time to finish cashing out. 

After the casino we caught up with cruise friends and then made our way to check out Oceanview cafe were we found no change to the typical dinner unlike the last day lunch. To help us feel better about ourselves we got a few more steps in on a casual stroll around the track and we were shocked at how quiet the pool, mast, and sunrise bar were as everyone must have gone to pack. I am not sure when they packed last week as the last night hopped on the first leg of our B2B. 

We made our way after a few laps to the martini bar for one last bottle of water to chase a martini and where then headed off to the 9:30 show. The Magician Matt Johnson show was the same as the week prior. We thought with the change to the theater it may be a different format. We still enjoyed the show and at the end made our way to the Grand Plaza. 

One last silent disco was going on tonight without a lot of participation going on we decided to pass and head to bed for one last sleep at sea.

• Like 1

great ongoing  review.. we too loved BEYOND.

Could you explain  again the idea of charging your card in pesos in Cozumel and paying the card's conversion fee?

We bought jewelry there but was charged in US $ at a duty free store,  so no conversion fee.... I think for lunch we paid cash near the pier.( first time at Senor Frogs,,..interesting! )We usually use a card that does not charge  a conversion fee..

Next time I want to see the ruins..I know it is small. Was the Thirsty Cougar worth the ride?

Edited by hcat

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

great ongoing  review.. we too loved BEYOND.

Could you explain  again the idea of charging your card in pesos in Cozumel and paying the card's conversion fee?

We bought jewelry there but was charged in US $ at a duty free store,  so no conversion fee.... I think for lunch we paid cash near the pier.( first time at Senor Frogs,,..interesting! )We usually use a card that does not charge  a conversion fee..

Next time I want to see the ruins..I know it is small. Was the Thirsty Cougar worth the ride?

We use a Credit Card that does not charge conversion or international fees. However many vendors in the Caribbean have the ability to charge in USD as many folks do not carry such a card and this helps them avoid fees.  The problem when a card is charged this way the vendor assigns the conversion value. In all of our travels I have never seen this be in the consumers favor unless there has been a recent volatile change in value. 

Today a quick google search tells me 1 USD equals 18.87 pesos the rate on Friday was just  about the same I believe. My lunch with gratuity was 2600 pesos and I tipped 420 pesos for a total of 3020 pesos which at todays valuation comes out to $160USD. At the time we made the purchase the vendors conversion that they would do automatically was  2600 pesos for the meal equaled $157 before tip or 1 USD equals 16.56 pesos.

It is always helpful especially if you plan on making a large purchase when the currency is not a 1 for 1 with the  USD, to look up the conversion rate at the time and also understand your banks fees for international transactions. You can also do this in a cash transaction by asking for what the amount is in local currency compared to USD and asking why you are getting such a poor conversion rate if it is poor. 

Whether you are paying in cash or credit the vendor normally tries to saddle the consumer with any fees they may have paid to covert the currency by giving a lower conversion rate. The reality is they probably are not paying fees depending on their banking institution and if it is a cash USD transaction they are using it to support other cash transactions. 

Remember this only works where a local currency is not tied to the USD. Several cruise ships ports like Nassau are tied to the dollar.