Azura formal night?

ScrumpApple

Hi Folks, first-time cruiser here, so be gentle, please 🙂

Can anyone tell me when P&O publish details of the formal night/s for each cruise? We're off on Azura this Friday and our itinerary still states dress code will be provided nearer sailing day for every single night, so I'm wondering if/when formal night/s will be - don't want to pack a posh frock for nothing!

Thanks in advance and happy sailing!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Azura normally has 2 formal nights per week. It should list them in the My Cruise/Itinerary section online if you log in.

Enjoy your cruise.

12 minutes ago, ScrumpApple said:

Thanks @Host Sharon,

That's useful info, thanks - I had been assuming one formal night in the week, so good to know there will likely be two.

I've been logging in and checking the itinerary every day for the last week, but no mention of them so far - but I'll keep checking. 🙂 

It is unusual for the dress codes not to be on your login so close to sailing.  Did you actually go into the day by day itinerary which you can access from my cruises - the one which shows the itinerary on a day be day bases and you have to click on each day to get the details up (will also show any other bookings you have, e.g. pre booked shore tours).  it will not show on the itinerary list for the cruise.

Having said that we were on Azura for 23 nights last Sept/Oct and the dates of the formal nights had changed when we boarded the ship - reception were happy to give us updated dates.  We had booked a lot of speciality restaurants for various formal nights as the cruise progressed since the Freedom dining restaurant was not working well.  We discovered later that even some of those rescheduled dates had been changed yet again, so not easy to get accurate details of specific dates, but there were always two formal per week, usuallly on the sea days as just mentioned by UKCRUISER. 

Hope that helps,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Thanks All,

@tring Thanks for this - yes, logged into the day by day itinerary and can see our excursion & entertainment bookings for each day, but no mention of anything else.

We'll work on the basis of formal nights on the two sea days until P&O update us.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend, folks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

It is unusual for the dress codes not to be on your login so close to sailing.  Did you actually go into the day by day itinerary which you can access from my cruises - the one which shows the itinerary on a day be day bases and you have to click on each day to get the details up (will also show any other bookings you have, e.g. pre booked shore tours).  it will not show on the itinerary list for the cruise.

Having said that we were on Azura for 23 nights last Sept/Oct and the dates of the formal nights had changed when we boarded the ship - reception were happy to give us updated dates.  We had booked a lot of speciality restaurants for various formal nights as the cruise progressed since the Freedom dining restaurant was not working well.  We discovered later that even some of those rescheduled dates had been changed yet again, so not easy to get accurate details of specific dates, but there were always two formal per week, usuallly on the sea days as just mentioned by UKCRUISER. 

Hope that helps,

Barbara

Iirc, when I sailed on Aurora last year, the dress codes only went onto the website about three days before my cruise!

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Iirc, when I sailed on Aurora last year, the dress codes only went onto the website about three days before my cruise!

Perhaps variable then.  I had those details printed out well before our Azura cruise as well as Aurora in Nov, certainly at least a couple of weeks before.  Also, one formal night is already showing for an Aurora Fjords we have booked for the end of June.  That came on in the last week, but I am thinking there will be more than one formal as it is a 12 night cruise.  Then again we are talking about P&O's IT dept.......

1 minute ago, tring said:

Perhaps variable then.  I had those details printed out well before our Azura cruise as well as Aurora in Nov, certainly at least a couple of weeks before.  Also, one formal night is already showing for an Aurora Fjords we have booked for the end of June.  That came on in the last week, but I am thinking there will be more than one formal as it is a 12 night cruise.  Then again we are talking about P&O's IT dept.......

The strange and mysterious world of P&O IT............ 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScrumpApple said:

Hi Folks, first-time cruiser here, so be gentle, please 🙂

Can anyone tell me when P&O publish details of the formal night/s for each cruise? We're off on Azura this Friday and our itinerary still states dress code will be provided nearer sailing day for every single night, so I'm wondering if/when formal night/s will be - don't want to pack a posh frock for nothing!

Thanks in advance and happy sailing!

It is never Formal night on the first or last night in my experience of 61 cruises.

Usually it is on a sea day.

We were on Azura from November 18th to December 2nd.

A lot of people adhered to Formal night which is rigidly enforced in 

Main dining Room.

Epicurean

Blue Bar.

If you do not want to dress formally there was no problems going to

Sindhu.

Glass house.

Buffet.

Theatre.

Wishing you an amazing first cruise.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

Well, it's now one day before our cruise starts and the formal nights still haven't been published in our itinerary. The did manage to send an email on Tuesday though advising that they're swapping the days on which we're visiting Lanzarote and Gran Canaria - not sure if that's a common occurrence with the Canaries cruise?

I'm not entirely filled with confidence based on the experience so far, but time will tell! Looking forward to the cruise, nevertheless.

Best wishes all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi ScrumpApple

I really hope you enjoy your 1st cruise, it's such an exciting time with all the anticipation! I well remember how I felt before our 1st cruise on Ventura back in 2012 !!

We were on Azura for 14 nights for Xmas and New Year and had a wonderful time. Formal nights as other posters have mentioned are usually on the sea days which were the Sundays and Tuesdays (on the way up to Madeira and on the downhill return!), so 4 in total for a 14 night cruise.

With New Year's Eve not falling on a sea day it wasn't an "official" black tie night but we, along with many other passengers, chose to wear our finery so had 5 black tie nights but this was our choice, living in the High Peak and spending the majority of my time in jeans and wellies, I love the opportunity to dress up (but totally understand not everyone wants to).

Our itinerary was exactly as scheduled so possibly its just a 1 off swapping Gran Canaria and Lanzarote on your cruise?

We were fortunate to have our departure from Tenerife delayed on NYE from 9.30pm to 2am due to some late flight arrivals so were in port for the fireworks which was a bonus. Apart from a return to Lanzarote 45 mins after we left port with a medical emergency everything else was exactly as stated on the itinerary.

Have a wonderful cruise, go with an open mind and make sure you come back and let us know how it went!

Julie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1