What is refunded when second passenger no shows

nycjewlz

Hi. Im new to Princess. We have a situation where we have 6 ppl in 3 cabins. 1 person is having visa issues and may not make the cruise. We will likely not know until the week of.

I know on Royal it is best to no show vs cancel because the convert it to single or move the remaining passenger. In our experience if you find out the last week the second person cant some it is best to do nothing and they refund the pirt fees and taxes. 

On NCL however i canceled once 2 days before and got pirt fees and tips and taxes back but was told if i had showed id have lost those too.

What is anyones experience on Princess? Do no shows get anything back? They just told our ta if the second party cancels the cost of the room goes up so we dont want to do that. 

Port taxes and fees, any prepaid items such as gratuities, bev package, and shore-ex will be refunded.  The only loss is the cruise fare itself.  

And you're correct it's better to no-show or the 1st person in the cabin will be charged double (solo supplement) even if the 2nd passenger is in the 100% penalty period.  

34 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

And you're correct it's better to no-show or the 1st person in the cabin will be charged double (solo supplement) even if the 2nd passenger is in the 100% penalty period.  

I'm curious.  If the 2nd person cancels a week before sailing, they wouldn't get any refund of the cruise fare.  So why would Princess charge the 1st person a solo supplement since they already have two fares for a double occupancy cabin?  Perhaps I'm not understanding something, but that seems like Princess would now be getting 3 fares. (person 1 + cancelled person 2+ solo supplement).

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

I'm curious.  If the 2nd person cancels a week before sailing, they wouldn't get any refund of the cruise fare.  So why would Princess charge the 1st person a solo supplement since they already have two fares for a double occupancy cabin?  Perhaps I'm not understanding something, but that seems like Princess would now be getting 3 fares. (person 1 + cancelled person 2+ solo supplement).

That is correct.  Because Princess would be canceling the 2nd passenger and  creating a solo passenger.  Princess would be able to collect that fare twice.  It makes no sense, but that is exactly how Princess operates.  Which is exactly why when I got Covid and couldn't make a cruise with a friend I no-showed.  I called and they explained that is exactly what would have happened.  I got my port taxes and fees refunded and ate the cruise fare.

3 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

That is correct.  Because Princess would be canceling the 2nd passenger and  creating a solo passenger.  Princess would be able to collect that fare twice.  It makes no sense, but that is exactly how Princess operates.  Which is exactly why when I got Covid and couldn't make a cruise with a friend I no-showed.  I called and they explained that is exactly what would have happened.  I got my port taxes and fees refunded and ate the cruise fare.

All I can say is I'm flabbergasted.

16 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Ok i was worried because my ta called and asked what would happen and i was afraid now if the worse case scenario came true and she cant get her visa in time and no shows they will go back and say well you asked about this before so you anticipated this so we are converting it now.  Can they do that? Also glad to know you got fees back. NCL said no shows get nothing back. 

1 minute ago, nycjewlz said:

Ok i was worried because my ta called and asked what would happen and i was afraid now if the worse case scenario came true and she cant get her visa in time and no shows they will go back and say well you asked about this before so you anticipated this so we are converting it now.  Can they do that? Also glad to know you got fees back. NCL said no shows get nothing back. 

I made sure to tell them to NOT cancel my reservation.  But as long as they haven't done so they likely won't do it retroactively.  Also it took about 3 months before I got the refund.

3 hours ago, DCThunder said:

So why would Princess charge the 1st person a solo supplement since they already have two fares for a double occupancy cabin?

Because they can.

If the passenger(s) have insurance, princess is basically dinging the insurance.

59 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Its in your contract that you commit to at time of booking. And also why they invented travel insurance to protect you from any unlikely circumstance that might crop up.

So make a claim through your insurance company.

The person whose visa might not come through is not complaining and is fine losing their money. The problem is the idea that of the 6 of us the person who happens to be paired up with them then has to pay double despite the person not going still being willing to pay their full fare no matter what happens. That is the oart we find crazy. We were planning on paying the cruiseline the full 3k cruise fare per cabin no matter what.

From all of the above posts, it sounds as though the missing VISA person does not have insurance?

Insurance would have:

1.  Guaranteed other passenger single solo supplement for no charge.

2.  Cancelled passenger would get a refund (minus insurance) OR get maybe Future Cruise Credits.

3.  All port fees and taxes, beverage packages, additional purchases would be returned.

Insurance is but a minor addition to any cruise fare.  (I think 8%).  I hope "the other" person gets his/her VISA in time for the cruise.  

On 1/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

From all of the above posts, it sounds as though the missing VISA person does not have insurance?

Insurance would have:

1.  Guaranteed other passenger single solo supplement for no charge.

2.  Cancelled passenger would get a refund (minus insurance) OR get maybe Future Cruise Credits.

3.  All port fees and taxes, beverage packages, additional purchases would be returned.

Insurance is but a minor addition to any cruise fare.  (I think 8%).  I hope "the other" person gets his/her VISA in time for the cruise.  

Since we are within the full refund dates we decided to just cancel that cabin and book a solo cabin and distribute that one person's additional cost among the 5 of us so it was fair. If the 6th person gets the visa in time its easier to add them than deal with all the no show issues or crazy cost of removing them and having the room made a single.

We did check with insurance and for what it is worth...We were assured by the insurance that the visa issue would NOT be covered so insurance was a moot issue. 

Now we have a new issue. We have screenshot that we've been on hold for 6 hours today trying to make this booking change before the deadline tomorrow. We have one more day of waiting on hold hopefully to get through to make it happen. Not sure what happens when you are within the cancellation window but can't get off hold to cancel and rebook. We've booked through this company 3 times in the past 6 months with no issues so idk what is going on today. Hopefully tomorrow is better. Princess said because it was booked 3rd party they can't make the change. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, icat2000 said:

Its in your contract that you commit to at time of booking. And also why they invented travel insurance to protect you from any unlikely circumstance that might crop up.

So make a claim through your insurance company.

This doesn't really help the person who now has to pay double though. Travel insurance isn't going to cover that.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, iamaqt2 said:

My understanding is that if you test positive for covid different rules apply

23 hours ago, memoak said:

My understanding is that if you test positive for covid different rules apply

They would have still charged my roommate a single supplement because my fare would have been refunded under their protocols.

I told them to keep me on the booking and no-showed to avoid that.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:25 PM, sissy2000 said:

Just out of curiosity, does it make a difference on your insurance whether you no show or cancel?  

Yes. In order to file a claim, you must cancel in a timely manner to avoid further penalties. If cancellation is delayed and additional penalties are incurred, insurance will not cover them. In any case, cancellation must be for a covered reason as defined in the policy.

Those who do not show up at all with no notice of cancellation have no basis for a claim.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:59 PM, skittl1321 said:

This doesn't really help the person who now has to pay double though. Travel insurance isn't going to cover that.

It depends on whether the remaining passenger has insurance with single supplement coverage.