Strange Bar Closings on Equinox Today in Grand Cayman

helen haywood

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Actually, yes!  I visit Carnival, NCL, Royal, Celebrity and MSC daily. Amazing what one can learn by reading other forums. Mostly, I’m just looking for drama. Other people’s drama is much more fun than my own. 😇

I have seen posts on the RCCL board about this.  So maybe it is both Royal and Celebrity.

5 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

You have checked all the other cruise line forums?  If so, it is strange to be sure.

I'm curious. 

Why do you find it strange that someone on here checks other cruise lines' forums? 

I for one do not find myself married to one particular cruise line. 

I find interesting insight on various forums on here.

It is good to have options.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:17 AM, TeeRick said:

It seems more and more from a series of reports here that this is something going on only with RCCL and Celebrity ships stopping at GC, with only the Pool Bar open in port- or in some cases the Retreat Lounge too.  No solid explanation yet.  I have not really seen this reported here by any other cruise lines.  Is it some type of negotiation between RGG lines and the Cayman Islands government?  Weird that there is no public info reported about this.

Here’s your explanation:  most on the ship have the drink package.  Close all the bars save one, but back on the help, and Celebrity makes bank.

29 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I'm curious. 

Why do you find it strange that someone on here checks other cruise lines' forums? 

I for one do not find myself married to one particular cruise line. 

I find interesting insight on various forums on here.

It is good to have options.

You might have misunderstood.  My strange comment was directed at the bar closings, not the checking of other forums.

34 minutes ago, rcrabb1513 said:

You might have misunderstood.  My strange comment was directed at the bar closings, not the checking of other forums.

Ahhh.  I see.  Thank you so much for clarifying.  This unsolved case of the mostly-dry-while-in-port ships continues to unfold.

16 hours ago, manmachine said:

Here’s your explanation:  most on the ship have the drink package.  Close all the bars save one, but back on the help, and Celebrity makes bank.

Yes others have said this too on earlier posts.  But I don't really buy that explanation.  If that was the case, why not close all bars (except the Pool Bar) in every port?  Why just Grand Cayman?

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes others have said this too on earlier posts.  But I don't really buy that explanation.  If that was the case, why not close all bars (except the Pool Bar) in every port?  Why just Grand Cayman?

I think a lot of the reason may be (and I don’t claim to know why) that as a tender port with typically long, long tender times, this port has a much higher percentage of passengers either waiting on board to depart, or ones who simply bypass Grand Cayman and don’t get off at all.

I have been to Nassau many, many times.  But I will still get off because it’s easy.  Grand Cayman?  Nightmare to depart.  Never getting off there again unless something really changes.