LIVE food photos from the Eclipse | South Pacific | 14-26 January 2023

nz1

3 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

May I ask: What is the Kangaroo meat like?  Is it gamey? 

It is a bit gamey - comparable to venison, in my opinion. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance!

• Thanks 1

I will definitely give it a try if I ever get the chance.  I firmly believe you can't know if you like something (or not) until you try it.  OK, some things in life you just know you don't like 😜

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edited by mchell810
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

May I ask: What is the Kangaroo meat like?  Is it gamey? 

We also have seen it on Celebrity ships while in Australian waters.  I just can't get over eating a national iconic symbol, but according to Australian citizens either they like it or can't stand it.  I have also been told it is somewhat difficult to cook as it can be easy to overcook (or is it easy to undercook?) and then the texture changes.

5 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We also have seen it on Celebrity ships while in Australian waters.  I just can't get over eating a national iconic symbol, but according to Australian citizens either they like it or can't stand it.  I have also been told it is somewhat difficult to cook as it can be easy to overcook (or is it easy to undercook?) and then the texture changes.

The picture above looks tender but I can see how it would be easily overcooked as the meat looks lean.  I agree every nation/culture has things they eat, or don't ,for all kinds of reasons; that being said if/when I get down to Australia I am going to give Kangaroo a try.  I'll pass on the escargot. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Yeah, as a New Zealander, I couldn’t imagine eating our national icon (and I’m sure that would be illegal anyway!) But Australia has a very different relationship to their national icon 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Day 11: Breakfast in Luminae this morning but unfortunately it wasn’t a very successful one!

Started off with some pineapple juice and an apple turnover - delicious as usual.

89B4D115-6639-4B9C-96C5-37E0A8B1046C.thumb.jpeg.c0f7888b52b30af211730a4cb6cf60f4.jpeg

For my main I ordered the whole wheat wrap with egg whites, spinach, tomato, and swiss cheese. Accompanied by some hashbrowns and kielbasa sausage.

There seemed to be quite a delay for the mains to arrive (to the point we were wondering if there was some holdup in the kitchen as it had been around 30 minutes waiting). Though with nowhere else we needed to be, we weren’t in a rush.

Finally the food arrived. The wrap itself was ok but it, and the kielbasa sausage were rather cold. My partner’s breakfast was also pretty cold.

1CC8E634-0119-430D-BF3F-B68EDF549C2E.thumb.jpeg.f2ff006c2e5804b61172daa05cc826b3.jpeg

79244452-CC64-4E4E-8097-21EA63EF94D8.thumb.jpeg.a3e5521d4a1d10b59d259a434bf3e5d6.jpeg

Our waiter was apologetic and the maître d’ offered to get us something else but we had already got through about half of the mains so were happy to head off after we’d finished our coffees.

Edited by nz1

Day 11: Lunch in Luminae was thankfully much better than breakfast!

51148AAD-452D-48FB-B9A2-6566FADC9F5B.thumb.jpeg.c0c006331af7b01bf80deb7483c211de.jpeg

Starting with some champagne and a fresh herby roll.

C942A9B5-8458-4CEB-B0E3-52723FC72CD3.thumb.jpeg.635f8987842bfcf3925bd1715d9e9196.jpeg

Followed by burrata salad with heirloom tomatoes, basil, and crispy parmesan.

8FB48D35-2614-4EBD-9FBF-BF8F6B2736E4.thumb.jpeg.b45562d83cd31b1bdae8c56927bb9bf6.jpeg

This was very refreshing and the flavours well-balanced - nothing too overpowering.

Followed by the wheat fettuccine with salsa di noci. I was particularly intrigued to try this to see how the walnut flavour would work!

1BC38B60-A146-498B-A77C-749FE7914B18.thumb.jpeg.dbfed0eceb632bf6e54368d011349cc2.jpeg

This did not disappoint but it was surprisingly rich - so I didn’t quite finish it!  I might have managed to if I had skipped the burrata salad.

To finish I had the bittersweet chocolate fondant with caramelised banana and coffee gelato.

AEC8A632-2E41-4EDE-B653-F5F22F8D7828.thumb.jpeg.a937ca0b2563ae6e17b45436ccefe5c1.jpeg

While it wasn’t quite the typical fondant I had pictured, it was delicious and well-paired with the banana and gelato. Finished perfectly with some black coffee ️ 

My partner had the berry pavlova with coconut meringue and rated it as the best dessert all cruise!! High praise indeed!

7A14AD10-590C-4DFD-9FDE-563DF5C4CB13.thumb.jpeg.74fa7d95e556fb4336231ebfaff7bd9e.jpeg

Feeling so full (still!) from lunch that we might have to go for an ultra-light dinner tonight instead of the traditional three courses!

Edited by nz1
  • Like 5

One thing I like is that earlier this year they started having the Cob Salad on the menu daily.   I often get it but have them modify it -   I'm not a fan of the Nueske Bacon (Pork Belly ) and have them substitute crispy bacon, additional avocado and blue cheese.

The one item I miss is they use to have a Lamb Burger on some days in lieu of the Luminae Burger.   To me a Lamb Burger is far better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

One thing I like is that earlier this year they started having the Cob Salad on the menu daily.   I often get it but have them modify it -   I'm not a fan of the Nueske Bacon (Pork Belly ) and have them substitute crispy bacon, additional avocado and blue cheese.

The one item I miss is they use to have a Lamb Burger on some days in lieu of the Luminae Burger.   To me a Lamb Burger is far better.

I would have been excited to try the lamb burger if it was still offered. I love beef but it is nice to have some variety.

4 hours ago, nz1 said:

I would have been excited to try the lamb burger if it was still offered. I love beef but it is nice to have some variety.

When we were living in Ireland there was a glut of lamb in the EC and Lamb was our cheapest meat.   Really liked the more flavorful lamb.   In America it's on the pricey side as is New Zealand Lamb.   I saw a small rack (smallest I've ever seen) yesterday and it was $18 US

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

When we were living in Ireland there was a glut of lamb in the EC and Lamb was our cheapest meat.   Really liked the more flavorful lamb.   In America it's on the pricey side as is New Zealand Lamb.   I saw a small rack (smallest I've ever seen) yesterday and it was $18 US

Yeah, sadly it’s incredibly expensive in NZ - our best lamb is exported so what remains for the local market is often sold for many $$$!

Day 12: Our final sea day before arriving back in Auckland, New Zealand!

We were back to our day 1 menu though I changed up my selection a little.

6ADE5776-F938-4749-A0A7-111BC5214D96.thumb.jpeg.210f7d68a45695a7f56c26e452e9baf9.jpeg

Starting with the mozzarella sticks from the MDR menu along with some champagne and bread rolls.

3BFDB395-9DAD-44A5-91DE-90528A19E769.thumb.jpeg.a20180f7789da66e7cf1421b9585d197.jpeg

Followed by the grilled NY steak frites with some pinot noir. Again, so flavoursome and anyone that can make spinach taste wonderful gets a 10/10 in my book!

74A2A11B-D015-4F59-85E9-698AA3A7673E.thumb.jpeg.c35c84ee4eec20d03fb6fd3b1fd75113.jpeg

And to finish, the pear and yoghurt clafoutis with vanilla icecream. So warming and the right amount of fruitiness and sweetness to cap off the meal, alongside some black coffee.

C1744511-8CA6-4B5A-9363-84E5ADFA1A61.thumb.jpeg.b85ffd0f6707a62791f3ecf16e782d74.jpeg

A lovely way to spend the final sea day at lunch. The only downside being given the standard survey spiel and how important the ratings are. It is sad that the crew need to emphasise this but I understand.

We can’t fault the service we’ve had this cruise as we have been very well looked after, so we will be glowing in our feedback!

• Like 3

Day 12: Our final dinner of the cruise arrived and of course, we went to Luminae!

To start, the amuse bouche which was layered beef carpaccio and cheese. So tender and a surprisingly subtle flavour. So many layers!

9E48F212-056C-4889-8AAB-3FB078EA33BD.thumb.jpeg.9c8ab875ddd86a9366fdb2b9ba908133.jpeg

Followed by the arugula and melon salad with fried goats cheese, lime pickled pear, balsamic reduction, and prosciutto.

4719B946-589F-4704-AFC9-5A35989F8E69.thumb.jpeg.e15560e16c9c9ed0c9727825ae8abe18.jpeg

I’m not a fan of melon but everything went so well together that I really enjoyed it! A really well-composed salad.

For my main I chose the rack of pork with olive oil crushed potatoes and salsa verde.

1FFB3C5B-914F-4B42-8B9E-D6E36B120C66.thumb.jpeg.ce281b50c12518ce6ca97aefd2a01d80.jpeg

Overall the pork was pretty moist and had a good mild flavour. The potatoes were delicious with the olive oil flavour coming through nicely but not overpowering.

For dessert, I had the orange gianduja. Now, I must admit that I giggled (or snickered) a little when it was placed on the table 😂 It looked worse in person than in this photo!

39EC929A-86BA-4DCD-B123-49119246FCEC.thumb.jpeg.6043f258faf5ed27d1a9cc257e3be992.jpeg

It tasted really nice and the orange flavour came through really well.

My partner had the vanilla baba which was basically a rum baba with vanilla icecream on top, surrounded with a citrus custard type of thing. It looked great and apparently tasted amazing!

B273CDB5-C436-4759-AAC4-8561261574AB.thumb.jpeg.6928bcf2e35884335b9eeb1c72bd2b42.jpeg

We left feeling very stuffed between all of those dishes plus plenty of bread, wine, and coffee! A great final night dinner for this cruise! ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone,

My previous post wraps up this live food thread from the Eclipse. We arrive back in Auckland, New Zealand tomorrow, after a wonderful cruise onboard Celebrity.

I really enjoy reading other people’s experiences on cruises (particularly when it comes to food!) so I’m glad I’ve been able to contribute to this on Cruise Critic.

Thanks for following, and wishing you all well and happy cruising! 🛳️🌏🥂🍲

Cheers,

Brendan / NZ1

Edited by nz1
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, nz1 said:

I really enjoy reading other people’s experiences on cruises (particularly when it comes to food!) so I’m glad I’ve been able to contribute to this on Cruise Critic.

Thank you for this thread.

We enjoyed many of the same dishes, but also enjoyed your descriptions of others we didn’t have a chance to try. 

Many thanks to the entire Luminae team.

• Like 2

Wonderful food review, complete with excellent pictures and descriptions!  Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring us along on your culinary journey!

We will be on Eclipse in June to Alaska, but in CC, so we won’t have the pleasure of the Luminaries menu. We are looking forward to the cruise. Eclipse was our very first cruise, and now it will be our first cruise since Covid changed our world.

Thank you, again for posting your review.❤️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thank you for this thread.

We enjoyed many of the same dishes, but also enjoyed your descriptions of others we didn’t have a chance to try. 

Many thanks to the entire Luminae team.

So nice to meet you onboard - I really enjoyed our chats!

Safe travels for your next adventures! 😊🌏🛳️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suzzek said:

Wonderful food review, complete with excellent pictures and descriptions!  Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring us along on your culinary journey!

We will be on Eclipse in June to Alaska, but in CC, so we won’t have the pleasure of the Luminaries menu. We are looking forward to the cruise. Eclipse was our very first cruise, and now it will be our first cruise since Covid changed our world.

Thank you, again for posting your review.❤️

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it 😊

We’ve really enjoyed the Eclipse and I hope you will, too! Overall I was pretty impressed with the items I had from the MDR menu, so even without Luminae, I am sure you will have a delicious experience too!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Brendan really enjoyed your food posts.   Great photos and even better commentary.  

Curious what type of camera you were using?

Thanks, Jim! Glad you enjoyed the posts - even the questionable orange gianduja 🤣

I’ve just been using my iPhone SE - not a fancy camera at all but does the job and quick to discreetly snap some pics 😄

2 hours ago, nz1 said:

Thanks, Jim! Glad you enjoyed the posts - even the questionable orange gianduja 🤣

I’ve just been using my iPhone SE - not a fancy camera at all but does the job and quick to discreetly snap some pics 😄

Good to hear.    I also use an iPhone and love the results.  

Hope to meet you sometime on a future cruise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear.    I also use an iPhone and love the results.  

Hope to meet you sometime on a future cruise. 

They’re very handy little things! 

Likewise! 😊🛳️