Skagway to Yukon excursion

Icecoldcranberry

Hi everyone. My family has booked an Alaskan cruise for end of August (our first time doing this route). We will be stopping in Skagway. My 14yr old son had initially wanted to do the train ride BUT he also wants to go as far as possible into the Yukon as we can plus we would like to do the suspension bridge and dog sledding. I found an independent excursion company M&M Skagway that offers a bus tour that has this itinerary as an option. Are we missing out by not doing the train? The bus option is cheaper than any train option. My husband also does not want to rent a car for our first Alaskan visit so he can enjoy the view as much as the rest of us. Has anyone used M&M Skagway tour company before? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! TIA. 

Thank you for this question and these answers. I have been looking into excursions for this port and was all ready to book a ship tour (Princess - May 7th). But seeing these suggestions for Chilikoot and Alaska Shore Excursions has me doing more investigating. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, Coral said:

I would do train/bus combo through Chilkoot. Best of both worlds and you will get to see the Yukon.

I did look at that one. It does sound really good. Also they leave an hour later than the ship's tour🙂

• Like 1

Are you missing out by not doing the train?  Not really as long as you are filling your day with activities that you enjoy.  The bus driver/host will provide a lot of information and some amazing scenery.  You will need your passports if you go into the Yukon.  Your son might enjoy the experience of passing through the border crossing into Canada.  The border crossing area is really scenic.  

Edited by oaktreerb

Alaskan here. You’re good to go. I just recommended the bus/train combo on another thread, but you’re a different group. White Pass is cool, but you’ll want more of the Yukon when you get there. 
particularly if your bus leaves first.

Dolphin Doug

• Thanks 1

The train in Skagway really has me confused.  I have confirmed a ship excursion called White Pass.  Then I looked at Chilikoot and they have a White Pass and a Yukon Pass.  Are these different trains?  It seems they do different routes and I don't know which one is the best to take.  Any thoughts?

12 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Another Alaskan here -- only one set of train tracks for the White Pass & Yukon Railroad.  Some of the excursion names denote how far the train will venture away from Skagway.

So which one goes furthur?  It sounds like the Yukon one.  So you would see the same things as on the White Pass and then go more into the interior of Alaska?  

• 2 weeks later...