Excursion Advice For Broadest Alaskan Experience

violetsmile

I'm so excited for my first Alaskan cruise!  The details:

Carnival Luminosa out of Seattle, June 8th, 2023.

Ports are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC.
There are 3 of us:  me (39), my girlfriend (49), and my mom (turns 70 on debarkation day!).

I am a moderately experienced Caribbean cruiser, but learning fast this is very different.  I'm comfortable planning and managing my own excursions, but it looks like in Alaska, ship excursions cost about the same and in some cases might be the only option.  My mom is a first time cruiser.  I'm the planner, and getting others to tell me what they want is hard because they just don't know, but I love the researching, and will present suggestions to them!

We are pretty adventurous, and my mom is in good health/shape, but she is turning 70, so that will dictate some of our activities.  For example, I'm super interested in snorkeling in Ketchikan, but doubt anyone else will want that!  I'm paying for most of this trip; I recognize this is the trip of a lifetime, and am not trying to do it particularly cheap...but I also work in K-12 education, so it's hard not to look for some lesser-expensive options as I plan.

I have some ideas for things I want to suggest to my companions, but I'm having trouble deciding WHERE to do what, and that's where I need some advice.  We want to experience a wide range of what Alaska offers.  Here are some of my hopes:

1. I want to step on a glacier, and am looking at helicopter/glacier tours.  I am right at 250lbs, so anticipate paying a surcharge, but everyone else is under.  This is probably the splurge excursion, assuming I can get mom on a helicopter.
  2. See wildlife, especially bears and whales.
  3. Enjoy views.  
  4. Eat excellent local food.
  5. Learn from/support businesses of indigenous people wherever possible

What am I missing?  Where, given the ports we are visiting, should we do each thing?  We aren't going to rent a car--I want everyone to enjoy the views, and not have to worry about navigation.  If we do the train/bus for the suspension bridge in Skagway with Chilkoot, are we missing out on any must-sees there?  I think my mom would maybe be interested in sled dogs, but I've read mixed things about the ethical implications, so I'm iffy there without a solid recommendation.  I don't want to see sad dogs in miserable, small spaces!  

I'm reading the boards pretty thoroughly, but would love any feedback if there's a "do X here, not there" kind of suggestion.

Thank you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, violetsmile said:

I'm so excited for my first Alaskan cruise!  The details:

Carnival Luminosa out of Seattle, June 8th, 2023.

Ports are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC.
There are 3 of us:  me (39), my girlfriend (49), and my mom (turns 70 on debarkation day!).

I am a moderately experienced Caribbean cruiser, but learning fast this is very different.  I'm comfortable planning and managing my own excursions, but it looks like in Alaska, ship excursions cost about the same and in some cases might be the only option.  My mom is a first time cruiser.  I'm the planner, and getting others to tell me what they want is hard because they just don't know, but I love the researching, and will present suggestions to them!

We are pretty adventurous, and my mom is in good health/shape, but she is turning 70, so that will dictate some of our activities.  For example, I'm super interested in snorkeling in Ketchikan, but doubt anyone else will want that!  I'm paying for most of this trip; I recognize this is the trip of a lifetime, and am not trying to do it particularly cheap...but I also work in K-12 education, so it's hard not to look for some lesser-expensive options as I plan.

I have some ideas for things I want to suggest to my companions, but I'm having trouble deciding WHERE to do what, and that's where I need some advice.  We want to experience a wide range of what Alaska offers.  Here are some of my hopes:

1. I want to step on a glacier, and am looking at helicopter/glacier tours.  I am right at 250lbs, so anticipate paying a surcharge, but everyone else is under.  This is probably the splurge excursion, assuming I can get mom on a helicopter.
  2. See wildlife, especially bears and whales.
  3. Enjoy views.  
  4. Eat excellent local food.
  5. Learn from/support businesses of indigenous people wherever possible

What am I missing?  Where, given the ports we are visiting, should we do each thing?  We aren't going to rent a car--I want everyone to enjoy the views, and not have to worry about navigation.  If we do the train/bus for the suspension bridge in Skagway with Chilkoot, are we missing out on any must-sees there?  I think my mom would maybe be interested in sled dogs, but I've read mixed things about the ethical implications, so I'm iffy there without a solid recommendation.  I don't want to see sad dogs in miserable, small spaces!  

I'm reading the boards pretty thoroughly, but would love any feedback if there's a "do X here, not there" kind of suggestion.

Thank you!

Following. This will be our one and only trip, ticking off the bucket list🥰

I’m going to be in Alaska at the same time as you (I sail from Vancouver on 8th June) and have been before in May-June 2019.

I presume you are looking at the glacier helicopter trips from Juneau. If not, there should be a ship excursion in Juneau that combines whale watching with a coach trip to the Mendenhall Glacier. We did that last time, and saw lots of whales, and then stumbled across a bear near one of trails at Mendenhall (luckily a black bear, and it was happily chilling up a tree). You can’t walk to the glacier from the coach trip, but you can walk a trail to a waterfall where my husband drank the water running from it (I have no idea if this is advisable).

I don’t remember Skagway or Ketchikan being particularly great for whales or bears, but someone else might be able to suggest something there.

Juneau is favorable for whale watching.  Skagway is all about the gold rush and is a national park.  If you do the White Pass and Yukon Railroad, do the bus up and the train back to Skagway.  Sled dogs are extremely well cared for and are a happy/lively group.    Ketchikan has a Bering Sea Fisherman’s tour that’s a lot of fun and educational, too.  Victoria has a lovely inner harbor and Butchart Gardens if you have time.  Go online and look at the tourist information for your ports of call.  There is a lot of information to help you decide what you want to do.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, violetsmile said:

I think my mom would maybe be interested in sled dogs, but I've read mixed things about the ethical implications, so I'm iffy there without a solid recommendation.  I don't want to see sad dogs in miserable, small spaces!  

I am a huge dog lover - I will be up front with that. My mom was blind and had a Seeing Eye dog (so a working dog) and I have to say this dog was pretty spoiled and also traveled the world. Though she was a working dog also. So I got to see and experience that dog when she was working and also at play.

The dogs used for dog mushing are working dogs. When you see where they are at - they are tied up and have a covered dog house to sleep in. Though these dogs also get tons of exercise.  You can see when the dog musher goes to get his dogs for the ride - how excited these dogs get. They want to be picked. They howl and can't wait to get going. They love what they do.

While there probably are dogs out there who are not treated well by their dog mushers (as there are dog owners overall who do not treat their dogs well) - the dog mushers I have met always put their dogs needs first. Princess has Libby Riddles come on each ship in Juneau (first female to win Iditarod) and she would say that "her dogs would always eat before she would". She also was pleased for an award she received for the treatment of her dogs that year as she would put them first.

Long story short - I am glad that I have experienced tours with dog mushers and have listened to Libby Riddles talk a few times. I do think most reputable dog mushers (Seavey's, etc...) - treat their dogs very well. Working dogs definitely have a different life than coach home dogs but I can tell you that working dogs can be very happy dogs also and most treat them well (think Seeing Eye dogs, military and law enforcement dogs are also examples along with sled dogs in Alaska).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Long story short - I am glad that I have experienced tours with dog mushers and have listened to Libby Riddles talk a few times. I do think most reputable dog mushers (Seavey's, etc...) - treat their dogs very well. Working dogs definitely have a different life than coach home dogs but I can tell you that working dogs can be very happy dogs also and most treat them well (think Seeing Eye dogs, military and law enforcement dogs are also examples along with sled dogs in Alaska).

Thank you for this--I really appreciate your perspective and experience!

11 minutes ago, violetsmile said:

Thank you for this--I really appreciate your perspective and experience!

Also - if you have any experience with working breeds (in my world, it was German Shepherds that we had as pets when younger and then as Seeing Eye dogs with my Mom's condition), they need a job to do or else they get really bored. And we all know what bored dogs do!

Race Across Alaska is a good book to read by Libby Riddles.

23 hours ago, JRoyston said:

I’m going to be in Alaska at the same time as you (I sail from Vancouver on 8th June) and have been before in May-June 2019.

I presume you are looking at the glacier helicopter trips from Juneau. If not, there should be a ship excursion in Juneau that combines whale watching with a coach trip to the Mendenhall Glacier. We did that last time, and saw lots of whales, and then stumbled across a bear near one of trails at Mendenhall (luckily a black bear, and it was happily chilling up a tree). You can’t walk to the glacier from the coach trip, but you can walk a trail to a waterfall where my husband drank the water running from it (I have no idea if this is advisable).

I don’t remember Skagway or Ketchikan being particularly great for whales or bears, but someone else might be able to suggest something there.

Yes, definitely looking at Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau.  There's also a few options for glaciers in Skagway:  a glacier hike  (possibly too physically difficult), a Glacier Point excursion and a helicopter/walking tour of a couple glaciers.  I feel sort of silly asking myself over and over, "which glacier is the best glacier?!  If I'm going to step on a glacier, which is the RIGHT one?"  🤣

Thanks for the whale/bear input.

17 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Juneau is favorable for whale watching.  Skagway is all about the gold rush and is a national park.  If you do the White Pass and Yukon Railroad, do the bus up and the train back to Skagway.  Sled dogs are extremely well cared for and are a happy/lively group.    Ketchikan has a Bering Sea Fisherman’s tour that’s a lot of fun and educational, too.  Victoria has a lovely inner harbor and Butchart Gardens if you have time.  Go online and look at the tourist information for your ports of call.  There is a lot of information to help you decide what you want to do.

Thank you for your input!  If we do White Pass, we'll definitely bus one way and train the other.  I've read that's the way to see more/different perspective.  Thanks for the input on Victoria, too.  I haven't even considered what we'll do there yet because I'm so focused on bucket-list type things in Alaksa!

19 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I am also in the process of planning AK cruise and following this thread. Oaktreerb, can you please elaborate why bus portion of Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion in Skagway is advisable versus train first? Thank You.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:28 PM, violetsmile said:

I think my mom would maybe be interested in sled dogs, but I've read mixed things about the ethical implications, so I'm iffy there without a solid recommendation.  I don't want to see sad dogs in miserable, small spaces!  

Thank you!

In skagway, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Along the way is Tagish Lake Kennels, the owner is Michelle Phillips, who actually got points reduced and I believe fined for bringing her dogs inside a warming shelter during the Iditarod because of a freak storm that occurred. You can google her for more correct info on her though. She is the real deal. Her dogs are great. You can do a tour of the whole place or just go in and play with the puppies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, olya1972 said:

I am also in the process of planning AK cruise and following this thread. Oaktreerb, can you please elaborate why bus portion of Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion in Skagway is advisable versus train first? Thank You.

The bus will stop along the way and have commentary from the driver/host.  You will probably hear stories about the Gold Rush.  The train has a conductor who offers some commentary but having taken the bus you will have a better knowledge of the area and its history.  I enjoy the excitement of riding the train down the hill into Skagway and seeing the town come into view.  

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The bus will stop along the way and have commentary from the driver/host.  You will probably hear stories about the Gold Rush.  The train has a conductor who offers some commentary but having taken the bus you will have a better knowledge of the area and its history.  I enjoy the excitement of riding the train down the hill into Skagway and seeing the town come into view.  

Thank you.

Juneau:

Highly recommend this tour:

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/juneau/whale-watching-tour/

They pick up at the bottom of the tram, take you to the harbor up north and put you on the jet boat.  Boat is never crowded (usually 15-20 onboard) and enclosed, unlike packed boats booked through cruise line.  They will also do a drop at Mendenhall Glacier if you want to stop there.

Boats are former Orca Enterprises, and we have been out with them 4 times.  Last time saw at least 10 humpback.  In previous years were in the middle of a superpod of 50 or so orca.  Son swears by Harv and Marv, a much smaller boat.  I did try booking a helicopter glacier landing on one trip but that day had massive fog and was cancelled.  Would have cost double the whale trip.

Skagway:

We've been on three floats  through the Eagle Preserve in Haines.  Fast ferry from Skagway, 20 minute bus ride and a few hours floating down a wide gentle river looking at eagles.  Book through ship but is only offered if timing of ship and ferry work.  Nice bagged lunch at end of float.

We have also done the Dyea Dave tour to Emerald Lake.  This can be combined with a one-way train if you wish (we have done train twice in past years so didn't this trip).  Good view from other side of the canyon (including large rock on track that stopped all train trips that day).  Not impressed with the suspension bridge (didn't pay to walk over and back on it) but the food in the cafe there is great.  Can't find his web site so may not be operating any longer.

Ketchikan:

Ketchikan has a really nice totem museum back above Creek Street.  Admission was around $7 when we went.  Easily walkable slight uphill from town so you don't have to go out to the totem park.  We have also taken the $400pp floatplane up to Neets Bay to see the hatchery and bears.  

Except for the floatplane, all of these are lower cost for Alaska and easily doable by someone in their 70s (like us).  I couldn't justify the $1000 cost of the glacier landing tour in our last couple of trips to Alaska.

An Alaskan here.

You’re:

In Skagway for 13 hours with 1 ship- great.

In Juneau for 9 hours with 1 ship- ok

In Ketchikan for 6 hours with 1 ship- gaak.

In Victoria for 4 hours….

From your description:

First, B.O.A.T. Bring out another thousand. Alaska ain’t cheap. I could tell you free things to do in every port, but expect to pay on the trip (tours, spa, meals, gifts) what you paid for the trip. Otherwise you’ll be missing out.

SKAGWAY

Absolutely helo to a glacier. Do it, do it. You won’t regret it. Worse case, they cancel, and you get a full refund :).

Train is awesome. You can do both.

Sled dogs are awesome (they are brainless (happy) and born to work, not going to ‘save them’ is like not driving a Jeep offroad. If you find they are maltreated, post a report.)

Let girlfriend/mom pick a second tour. You can’t do all three.

Try to buy all your souvenirs here.

JUNEAU

Absolutely whale watch.

Maybe helo. Doubt you have time for dogs and whales.

Consider the Sealaska Cultural Center. Get dropped off nearby and walk back to your ship.

If you helo, skip Mendenhall Glacier.

KETCHIKAN

Probably visit Saxman Village.

Don’t go fishing (wrong week) or do it here.

VICTORIA

Probably walk in Victoria.

You blink, and Skagway will be over. Hit the ground running in each port, then relax when your legs give out.

Best food is onboard.

Do not eat ‘Wild-caught Alaskan Salmon’. That’s tourist food.

Pay extra for the onboard restaurant that serves King, Silver or Sockeye Salmon, King Crab (probably from Russia, but oh, well), and/or Halibut. Make sure it is fresh or flash frozen or don’t bother. Seriously. Don’t order the same thing as the ladies and share. Don’t eat the same thing twice.

Buy fudge, ice cream, frybread, Alaskan Amber and Heritage coffee whenever you see it. 
‘Made in Alaska’ and ‘Silver Hand’ (native) is expensive. Fossil ivory is friendly.

And swimming in Alaska doesn’t mean what you think it does. It’s jump in, jump out. Go for it in Ketchikan, you can jump off the dock. You know you want to. Heck, do it in Skagway and Juneau too. If you do it twice, no one can call you crazy. (Known health benes).

If you really, really want to buy an Alaskan souvenir, buy a pair of Xtra-tuffs. Ask a local where, in Juneau you’ll need to take a taxi.

Enjoy. You’ll be back.

Dolphin Doug

• Like 4

On 1/19/2023 at 6:11 AM, Dolphin Doug said:

An Alaskan here.

You’re:

From your description:

First, B.O.A.T. Bring out another thousand. Alaska ain’t cheap. I could tell you free things to do in every port, but expect to pay on the trip (tours, spa, meals, gifts) what you paid for the trip. Otherwise you’ll be missing out.

SKAGWAY

Absolutely helo to a glacier. Do it, do it. You won’t regret it. Worse case, they cancel, and you get a full refund :).

Sled dogs are awesome (they are brainless (happy) and born to work, not going to ‘save them’ is like not driving a Jeep offroad. If you find they are maltreated, post a report.)

JUNEAU

Absolutely whale watch.

Consider the Sealaska Cultural Center. Get dropped off nearby and walk back to your ship.

KETCHIKAN

VICTORIA

You blink, and Skagway will be over. Hit the ground running in each port, then relax when your legs give out.

Best food is onboard.

Pay extra for the onboard restaurant that serves King, Silver or Sockeye Salmon, King Crab (probably from Russia, but oh, well), and/or Halibut. Make sure it is fresh or flash frozen or don’t bother. Seriously. Don’t order the same thing as the ladies and share. Don’t eat the same thing twice.

Buy fudge, ice cream, frybread, Alaskan Amber and Heritage coffee whenever you see it. 
‘Made in Alaska’ and ‘Silver Hand’ (native) is expensive. Fossil ivory is friendly.

And swimming in Alaska doesn’t mean what you think it does. It’s jump in, jump out. Go for it in Ketchikan, you can jump off the dock. You know you want to. Heck, do it in Skagway and Juneau too. If you do it twice, no one can call you crazy. (Known health benes).

If you really, really want to buy an Alaskan souvenir, buy a pair of Xtra-tuffs. Ask a local where, in Juneau you’ll need to take a taxi.

Enjoy. You’ll be back.

Dolphin Doug

I appreciate all of your thoughts! Super helpful.

Do you have food recommendations? You suggest the ship, but I’d be curious about local places, too. Don’t have to be fancy—just delicious!

Tell me more about swimming! I’m not usually a polar-plunge type, but can comfortably swim a 5k in 64° water without a wetsuit. Much colder, and I’m out if there’s no wetsuit. In a wetsuit, though, it’s completely different. I found a snorkeling excursion (with wetsuit), and am so intrigued. That’s my person brand of crazy, though. Not sure anyone else will be down! If I WERE to just jump in somewhere, where would you recommend that I’d safe and accessible ? I have a history of at least standing in the bodies of water wherever I go!

On 1/19/2023 at 6:11 AM, Dolphin Doug said:

An Alaskan here.

You’re:

From your description:

SKAGWAY

JUNEAU

Absolutely whale watch.

KETCHIKAN

VICTORIA

Best food is onboard.

Enjoy. You’ll be back.

Dolphin Doug

I love this post. So helpful.

3 hours ago, violetsmile said:

Do you have food recommendations? You suggest the ship, but I’d be curious about local places, too. Don’t have to be fancy—just delicious!

The "food truck" area in Juneau. Best halibut fingers, and a crepe from Alaskan Crepe Escape for dessert. 

The best food is most certainly not on the ship. Ship food is fine, but I want local food. Ask your excursion operators where they like to eat, and go there. It doesn't have to be the touristy places that everyone goes to.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 10:54 PM, LeeW said:

Juneau:

Highly recommend this tour:

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/juneau/whale-watching-tour/

They pick up at the bottom of the tram, take you to the harbor up north and put you on the jet boat.  Boat is never crowded (usually 15-20 onboard) and enclosed, unlike packed boats booked through cruise line.  They will also do a drop at Mendenhall Glacier if you want to stop there.

Boats are former Orca Enterprises, and we have been out with them 4 times.  Last time saw at least 10 humpback.  In previous years were in the middle of a superpod of 50 or so orca.  Son swears by Harv and Marv, a much smaller boat.  I did try booking a helicopter glacier landing on one trip but that day had massive fog and was cancelled.  Would have cost double the whale trip.

Skagway:

We've been on three floats  through the Eagle Preserve in Haines.  Fast ferry from Skagway, 20 minute bus ride and a few hours floating down a wide gentle river looking at eagles.  Book through ship but is only offered if timing of ship and ferry work.  Nice bagged lunch at end of float.

We have also done the Dyea Dave tour to Emerald Lake.  This can be combined with a one-way train if you wish (we have done train twice in past years so didn't this trip).  Good view from other side of the canyon (including large rock on track that stopped all train trips that day).  Not impressed with the suspension bridge (didn't pay to walk over and back on it) but the food in the cafe there is great.  Can't find his web site so may not be operating any longer.

Ketchikan:

Ketchikan has a really nice totem museum back above Creek Street.  Admission was around $7 when we went.  Easily walkable slight uphill from town so you don't have to go out to the totem park.  We have also taken the $400pp floatplane up to Neets Bay to see the hatchery and bears.  

Except for the floatplane, all of these are lower cost for Alaska and easily doable by someone in their 70s (like us).  I couldn't justify the $1000 cost of the glacier landing tour in our last couple of trips to Alaska.

I am interested in the whale sightseeing tour & glacier in Juneau.  You mentioned that they pick up at the bottom of the tram.  How far is that from where Royal Caribbean ships dock? Walking distance? We are in late 60's, but active & don't mind walking if not too far.

Also, do you think whale watching better in Juneau or from Icy Strait Point?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, endoellen said:

I am interested in the whale sightseeing tour & glacier in Juneau.  You mentioned that they pick up at the bottom of the tram.  How far is that from where Royal Caribbean ships dock? Walking distance? We are in late 60's, but active & don't mind walking if not too far.

Also, do you think whale watching better in Juneau or from Icy Strait Point?

Thanks in advance!

The tram is a very central location for cruise ships.

Not sure which ship you are on but here are dock locations and schedules:

https://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/JNU-Juneau-2023.pdf 

https://cruiseportwiki.com/Juneau 

It does appear some RCCL ships will be at AJ Dock. It is walkabout but they will often run shuttles the last time I was there.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

The tram is a very central location for cruise ships.

Not sure which ship you are on but here are dock locations and schedules:

https://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/JNU-Juneau-2023.pdf 

https://cruiseportwiki.com/Juneau 

It does appear some RCCL ships will be at AJ Dock. It is walkabout but they will often run shuttles the last time I was there.

Thank you Coral. We will be on Radiance of the Seas & in Juneau on May 13. Looks like 5 ships in port that day!!! Busy!!!

From what I see I think we are at AS dock which I read is close to town. Guess that’s good….

• Like 1