HAL Customer Service experience

isisdave

On the 17th, HAL had a $1 deposit special which I just happened to trip over by visiting the site. I didn't see any ads for it nor receive an email.

Having only six hours to pick something for fall, I chose a November 1 Transatlantic ("Farewell to Spain") voyage. It's on Oosterdam, which we're cruising on from South America in March, and have been on twice before. It's not stupendous nor new, but we know it's at least OK.

But we like aft-facing cabins, and I hoped there's be one for something booked 10 months ahead. I wasn't offered one, so I booked something else and started a chat to see if they could find one.  It took 20 minutes for the agent ("Mary") to join the chat. I asked her if she could find any aft-facing cabins on any deck. She proceeded to offer me cabin after cabin which were in the aft part of the ship, but facing port or starboard. I finally pointed out that she clearly didn't know what "aft-facing" means even after I tried to explain, and suggested she show the transcript to her supervisor and ask for additional training on this. And I thought it kind of weird at the time.

So this morning I tried again, this time on the phone. The wait was 40 minutes. The agent sounded totally bored. I asked for the same thing again, and the same thing happened. He kept offering side-facing cabins. I read him a list of aft-facing cabin numbers, and eventually he said "Ooooh, I see!" Then he asked me which one I'd like -- he apparently could not see a deck plan or a list that identified them. After four or so "no, that's not available" I asked if I could get on a waiting or cancellation list.

"Sure! Which cabin would you like?" 

"Any aft-facing cabin."

"You have to pick one and I can only put that one on a cancellation list."

This is partly complicated by the fact that most aft-facing cabins are category VB, but some are VC; and not all VB cabins are aft-facing, so it's not simple to look them up that way.

I've never encountered anything like this from HAL or another cruise line. I had transitioned from using agents to booking directly because some agents are not helpful in doing upgrades or other service after booking, but I may go back after this experience.

• Like 2

Did you try looking at the deck plan and give them a list of cabins you were interested in to check or look at the web site to see if any were available?

Can understand your frustration.

I've run into this no matter if using HAL directly or various TA's.

I learned to plan ahead of making my call.

I Look at the Online HAL Deck Plans myself.

Write down the various Aft-Facing Cabin #s I'd be interested in.

THEN place my call to HAL or my TA.

I give them the Cabin #s - they check availability.

Makes the process go smoothly saving me a lot of frustration.

• Like 4

When we book online and use the "choose your cabin option" we immediately see what is available ...at that particularly time. Then we can choose to book or not.

For reasons well known to HAL, cabin availability changes often  so if you don't see what you want right away keep looking, esp after final payment is made and others do become available. 

Often reported here, call any number of agents and you will get an equal number of various answers. There is some buyer beware involved, but if one wants one feature only one should hold out for it or move on. 

• Like 1

A customer service agent claimed that I wasn't being truthful with her, about calling in a hour earlier.  I had a couple gift cards pop up with an error, and called to inquire about them.  The first agent sent new e-giftcards, one that didn't match the quoted amount, and the other was $0.  The 2nd agent said that they had no record of me calling, that my story didn't add up, and her co-worker would never do such a thing.

8 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

A customer service agent claimed that I wasn't being truthful with her, about calling in a hour earlier.  I had a couple gift cards pop up with an error, and called to inquire about them.  The first agent sent new e-giftcards, one that didn't match the quoted amount, and the other was $0.  The 2nd agent said that they had no record of me calling, that my story didn't add up, and her co-worker would never do such a thing.

This is what I say about Hal.  Take no responsibility and deny everything. Now I’ve got this ta that came highly recommended.  I’ve been trying to book a cruise for a week,  it’s all the fault of the cruise line that things are going sideways, even though I’ve caught her in lies already.  When I question her, crickets chirp.  I’d be mortified treating people like that and I would never do that to my colleagues.  It makes you wonder how these people were raised.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Can understand your frustration.

I've run into this no matter if using HAL directly or various TA's.

I learned to plan ahead of making my call.

I Look at the Online HAL Deck Plans myself.

Write down the various Aft-Facing Cabin #s I'd be interested in.

THEN place my call to HAL or my TA.

I give them the Cabin #s - they check availability.

Makes the process go smoothly saving me a lot of frustration.

My PCC is wonderful.  Don't just call customer service.  Call your PCC.  Ours was very knowledgable about Aft Facing verandas and even booked us on deck 5 where they are apparently larger than decks above this.  Don't wait on hold.  Call and leave message for PCC.  Or email direct.  She has always been very responsive.  Even during COVID and trying to navigate cancellations and rebooks.  Very pleased.

Jane

• Like 1

Customer service stinks everywhere.  If you want a frustrating experience, try applying for Medicare. 🤯 I started the process last July and when I left for a cruise in December, I still wasn't sure I had coverage starting January 1.

I agree with the advice to get a PCC rather than call random order takers at HAL.