Galveston: Boarding Carnival Dream

Texaslady22

I think we all know that Galveston can be a bit of a nightmare. Our strategy has always been to get the earliest boarding time and arrive to the port as early as we can, prepared for chaos and lines.

This next cruise, though, I'd like to begin with as little chaos as possible.

What if we chose the latest boarding time and go to the port later? Would that take away some of the chaos and lines?

Just trying to start vacation on a different note. Open to idea! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texaslady22 said:

I think we all know that Galveston can be a bit of a nightmare. Our strategy has always been to get the earliest boarding time and arrive to the port as early as we can, prepared for chaos and lines.

This next cruise, though, I'd like to begin with as little chaos as possible.

What if we chose the latest boarding time and go to the port later? Would that take away some of the chaos and lines?

Just trying to start vacation on a different note. Open to idea! 

Yes! It absolutely takes most, if not ALL, of the chaos associated with trying to get on the ship as soon as boarding starts. We now always take the latest check in time. On sailing day, we have plenty of time to wake up(not at the crack of dawn), get showered & dressed, and get on the road about 10am +/- . We usually drive around Galveston for an hour or so before stopping at our favored What- a-burger, and get our sausage egg & cheese biscuit and coffee. No stress what so ever. And when we get to the pier, get the bags checked. And NO WAITING IN LINE! It's usually about 20-30 minutes from entering the terminal, until we set foot on the ship. Stress free for us! :classic_wink:

• Like 2

We ALWAYS chose the Earliest boarding time. For Years. Totally chaotic. Hubs would get bent. I'd react to his *attitude*. It was NOT good times! Lol fast forward to 2016! It was our 1st time on the Conquest and  I just couldn't get rolling to leave our Daughter & SIL's home from our overnight visit. We literally got to Port Everglades at the ALMOST  last possible  minute. NO Chaos. NO Stress. NO Worries. Ever since then, we're going ALMOST, but not quite the latest we can... As we'll do in almost 22days as we, (with NO craziness nor stress whatsoever;) board The Spirit for 8 Amazingly happy days... Our 25th anniversary cruise! NO Kids/Grands/cruising Pals. Just us! Yeaaay. Okay my book's over😆 TDLR: Definitely choose the latest boarding time... 

• Like 1

Last few cruises out of Galveston(including after the restart), wife and I eat a leisurely lunch in view of the ship and then arrive at the pier after 1:00 pm.  We are lowly Gold and do not purchase FTTF, so no special boarding perks.  No crowds, very few people.  We hit the various check-in stations and security with very short to no lines, and walk right on board, and head to our room.  Unload our luggage, and are unfettered to move about the ship.

For those who might not know, here are some good things to keep in mind:  1) schedule your arrival time comfortably before "last boarding time";  2) don't confuse "last boarding time" with "sailing time";  and, 3) if wanting to arrive at the very last minute, know that you may have to carry on all your luggage.

Late arrival works for us, although I completely understand those who are eager to get the party started as early as possible.  

14 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Maybe I've missed the "chaos" each time.  We've done both normal and FTTF and have never had any issues.  What problems are ya'll having?

That's exactly what I was wondering... We always choose the very earliest boarding time and get to the terminal early. There is usually already a line of folks outside who felt the check-in times didn't apply to them, but we just show our boarding passes to one of the agents and get waved on through. Inside, the only slowdown sometimes is if someone has packed something questionable and slows down the security scan. But once past that it's straight upstairs to quickly check in there, maybe have time to run to the restroom, then they're usually calling to board by 11. Super fast and easy every time, and that was all before FTTF returned.

Even disembarkation has become shockingly fast (as long as you have a passport) thanks to the facial recognition implementation. It's disconcerting how quickly you go from beautiful ship to somehow sitting in your car firmly grounded back in reality, lol.

20 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Maybe I've missed the "chaos" each time.  We've done both normal and FTTF and have never had any issues.  What problems are ya'll having?

I have never had anything extreme, but I have been there a couple of times when it was pretty chaotic. 

I have been out of Galveston four times since the restart. We always arrive at 10:30 since we fly in and arrive in town the night before. It's busy with people leaving ship and arriving, but never any excessive lines and everything moves fast. We are usually on the ship before 11:30 and dropping our carry-ons off at the cabin. Maybe, I was just lucky not to run into issues.

Unless you have FTTF or are a Suite, Dismond or Platinum on Carnival your room is not going to be available  till aroind 1:30

We try for a ~12:30 check in which tends to be uncrowded and gets us on the ship in time for a light lunch, then on to the room.

Spares all the crowds, crying kids, angry Wives and Hubbies, etc.