Bringing Wine on Board at embarkation

quilter49

We have sailed on many Princess cruises and are trying HAL. Can we bring one bottle of wine per person bottle of wine on board at embarkation? This question has probably been asked a million times.  I have tried to find the answer to this, but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you in advance for not getting mad at this question!

5 minutes ago, quilter49 said:

so, you have to pay a corkage fee of $20 to bring a bottle of wine on board at embarkation?

Correct. Used to be 1 bottle was allowed but now any (reasonable) number of bottles you bring is $20 each corkage. Worth it if you drink expensive wine that HAL doesn't offer (or dont want to pay 2 times markup on bottles they offer). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, quilter49 said:

We have sailed on many Princess cruises and are trying HAL. Can we bring one bottle of wine per person bottle of wine on board at embarkation? This question has probably been asked a million times.  I have tried to find the answer to this, but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you in advance for not getting mad at this question!

As mentioned above they now have a corkage fee for wine at embarkation, the good news is you can still allow one bottle per person when you take an excursion that features a winery.

Here is a link to HAL's Know Before You Go page. Just scroll down to bringing alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages on board.

Frequently Asked Cruise Questions - Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

"Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee."

I interpret this to mean if I buy a bottle of wine on a prior cruise, take it home and not drink it, then I can bring it back on the next cruise without an added corkage fee. 👍

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

"Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee."

I interpret this to mean if I buy a bottle of wine on a prior cruise, take it home and not drink it, then I can bring it back on the next cruise without an added corkage fee. 👍

Good luck with that. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CoyoteVA said:

Did anyone try to bring wine on board not for consumption, but a a souvenir from pre-cruise travel? Can it be stored on board before disembarkation? Thank you for sharing your experience!

You can ask them to hold it and return upon disembarkment from ship if you don't want to pay corkage fee. 

We did the math on this..I have a favorite wine that runs about $20 a bottle...unless I get it at Costco ..then a bit less. So on our upcoming 18 day cruise, I will opt for the Wine Cellar package . When I do the math, each bottle (the same brand)  ends up costing about the $20 plus the corkage fee..so to me, I will not bother to bring it on board as I wont save anything and I have the convenience of having the 4 bottles delivered to my room..and to do further math....if I dont buy the cellar package and opt for buying wine by the glass, the cost skyrockets. To me the cellar package is a win win.

3 hours ago, pmjnh said:

We did the math on this..I have a favorite wine that runs about $20 a bottle...unless I get it at Costco ..then a bit less. So on our upcoming 18 day cruise, I will opt for the Wine Cellar package . When I do the math, each bottle (the same brand)  ends up costing about the $20 plus the corkage fee..so to me, I will not bother to bring it on board as I wont save anything and I have the convenience of having the 4 bottles delivered to my room..and to do further math....if I dont buy the cellar package and opt for buying wine by the glass, the cost skyrockets. To me the cellar package is a win win.

Its really a good deal once you hit 3-4 Stars and get the 25-50% discount.