Flight Arrangements for your Cruise

KAM69

GraceGrandma, you’re mistaken. If you book your own flights Viking doesn’t charge a deviation fee, that’s only if you change arrival or departure dates or cities with booked Viking Air. Transfers can be purchased if you book your own air and are arriving on Day 1, (start of cruise or extension,) and departing on last day of cruise or post extension. We’ve done all of the above on different cruises. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 4:52 PM, CCWineLover said:

I am so sorry for you.  I have heard just SO many of these type stories, sadly....

That again confirms why we always do our own air - always.   Just too much aggravation and hassle and unknowns - and that assumes on average the cost might be the same.

Thanks, it does seem to be an issue right now.  If it wasn't for the 'free air' offer we booked, I would have booked our own.   On the bright side, we do have flight that will eventually get us home.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, chatdad said:

Oh I spoke a day too early.  Now I fall into the 'how can Viking Air be so inept side'.  Checked our return flight last night with Delta, all well.  Got the dreaded 'you flights have changed email' this morning (would be the third schedule) and Viking had gone ahead and ticketed the flights.  So of course being inquisitive wanted to know why my great flight got changed.  Called Viking and lo and behold, the agent who booked me didn't know he couldn't reserve a flight that leaves before noon (from Barcelona).  One would think they'd train on that type of stuff.  But wait the kicker is, the flight they rebooked me on last night also leaves before noon and the agent this morning said, 'No, No' that can't stay.  Have to change'.  So once again a new booking on yet another airline and more segments.  What a fiasco.  Oh well I hope this stays pat (they confirmed it was ticketed today) as I'm still trying to recoup the nearly $200 I spent on KLM grabbing good seat assignments on the original flights now cancelled.  Gee, I need a vacation.  LOL. 

We booked air through Viking because it was “free” and if we booked our own the connections were awful and the prices very expensive (we live in Montana, requiring a flight to Denver, Salt Lake or Seattle before we can get anywhere else).  Viking had an impossible job trying to get us to Fort Lauderdale the day of embarkation, so they booked us to arrive a day before and included a hotel.  Coming back from Barcelona we couldn’t get a flight after noon, so the agent told us she had to get special permission to get us on a flight at 11:45 am.  The kicker is we fly to Munich, then Denver, then home.  Should be interesting to see how it goes.  I was impressed with their willingness to get us the best itinerary they could.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:02 PM, msualum said:

We booked air through Viking because it was “free” and if we booked our own the connections were awful and the prices very expensive (we live in Montana, requiring a flight to Denver, Salt Lake or Seattle before we can get anywhere else).  Viking had an impossible job trying to get us to Fort Lauderdale the day of embarkation, so they booked us to arrive a day before and included a hotel.  Coming back from Barcelona we couldn’t get a flight after noon, so the agent told us she had to get special permission to get us on a flight at 11:45 am.  The kicker is we fly to Munich, then Denver, then home.  Should be interesting to see how it goes.  I was impressed with their willingness to get us the best itinerary they could.

Guess it's kind the luck of the draw on who you talk to at Viking.  You on the Viking Star TA 3/21 sailing?  

Ww are using Viking Air Plus and have a trip that starts in Athens.  They booked a business Air France that connects in Paris which is fine but then we have a 5 1/2 hour layover and arrive in Athens at 1AM embarkation day.  What do they expect us to do at 1AM?  Do they take us to the ship at 1AM and check us in?  Do we sleep in the airport?

Waiting to hear what my TA finds out!

11 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Ww are using Viking Air Plus and have a trip that starts in Athens.  They booked a business Air France that connects in Paris which is fine but then we have a 5 1/2 hour layover and arrive in Athens at 1AM embarkation day.  What do they expect us to do at 1AM?  Do they take us to the ship at 1AM and check us in?  Do we sleep in the airport?

Waiting to hear what my TA finds out!

If you are paying for air plus, I don’t know why you would accept such an itinerary!  Find something else you like better and see if it is available to Viking.  If you are flying from California, (SFO?) you should have all kinds of good options available to you.  We fly to Athens in two weeks, and even from Santa Fe we have flights on Delta through SLC to Amsterdam, to Athens, arriving at 4 pm.  If nothing else get to SLC and take Delta 56 to Amsterdam, and then 9573 to Athens.  Good luck!

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Heads up, something  to keep an eye on: I am hearing in the chatter that not all of the FREE airfare offers can be upgraded.  

After our free tickets were ticketed I called the airline and was able to upgrade to business class on our return flight from Europe to the US on a transatlantic. Cost was reasonable. 

Edited by ebtrip

Peregrina is correct.  Some contract tickets are upgradeable, and some are not.  And you can only find out once you know the fare rules of the ticket that YOU will have.

There is no blanket "Yes you can" or "No you can't".  Completely depends on the specifics of the individual ticket.

10 hours ago, ebtrip said:

After our free tickets were ticketed I called the airline and was able to upgrade to business class on our return flight from Europe to the US on a transatlantic. Cost was reasonable.

Which is just a single anecdote.  It does not show that all "free tickets" can be upgraded.

23 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

If you are paying for air plus, I don’t know why you would accept such an itinerary!  Find something else you like better and see if it is available to Viking.  If you are flying from California, (SFO?) you should have all kinds of good options available to you.  We fly to Athens in two weeks, and even from Santa Fe we have flights on Delta through SLC to Amsterdam, to Athens, arriving at 4 pm.  If nothing else get to SLC and take Delta 56 to Amsterdam, and then 9573 to Athens.  Good luck!

We just flew LAX to Athens with a 90 minute layover in Munich and arrive at 5:50 PM. Munich is one of the easiest airports to navigate through. Passport control took less than 3 minutes. Paris is nightmare.

8 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just flew LAX to Athens with a 90 minute layover in Munich and arrive at 5:50 PM. Munich is one of the easiest airports to navigate through. Passport control took less than 3 minutes. Paris is nightmare.

Agree.  Having lived all my life in SoCal until retirement, I am used to flying out of LAX, and I know there are better options that what Zalusky  was given.  I’m sure they will find something.  Since you went through Munich, I’m wondering if Munich to Athens was on Lufthansa.  We fly back from Barcelona to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and I’m still trying to figure out their business class carry on policy.  They say we can take two roll a-boards each-  unless there is some reason that we can’t.  Not entirely clear and I don’t want to check them. Any info is appreciated.  And, by the way, I’ve really been enjoying the chronicle of your trip!

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Agree.  Having lived all my life in SoCal until retirement, I am used to flying out of LAX, and I know there are better options that what Zalusky  was given.  I’m sure they will find something.  Since you went through Munich, I’m wondering if Munich to Athens was on Lufthansa.  We fly back from Barcelona to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and I’m still trying to figure out their business class carry on policy.  They say we can take two roll a-boards each-  unless there is some reason that we can’t.  Not entirely clear and I don’t want to check them. Any info is appreciated.  And, by the way, I’ve really been enjoying the chronicle of your trip!

We flew Lufthansa all the way from LAX to Athens. Our return was from Florence so the Florence to Munich leg was on a regional carrier Air Dolomiti. Not sure what the Lufthansa business class carryon policy is.

Our next cruise is LAX to Venice via Frankfort, return is Barcelona to San Diego via Munich, all on Lufthansa. We get better arrival times if we fly out of LAX but we live in San Diego. Lufthansa has a non stop Munich to San Diego. I was able to schedule all of this in MVJ without air plus.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We fly back from Barcelona to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and I’m still trying to figure out their business class carry on policy.  They say we can take two roll a-boards each-  unless there is some reason that we can’t.  Not entirely clear and I don’t want to check them. Any info is appreciated. 

This is the Canadian site for Lufthansa, so may differ, but seems clear that you can have 2 x 8kg each in business.  https://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/carry-on-baggage 

It also matches a more comprehensive list that I obtained from a luggage company (based on economy) - but as you'll know, it's always a must to check the current airline info. 🍺🥌

Carry On Luggage Sizes - All Airlines.pdf

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

This is the Canadian site for Lufthansa, so may differ, but seems clear that you can have 2 x 8kg each in business.  https://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/carry-on-baggage 

It also matches a more comprehensive list that I obtained from a luggage company (based on economy) - but as you'll know, it's always a must to check the current airline info. 🍺🥌

Carry On Luggage Sizes - All Airlines.pdf 1.19 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you.  That’s the main rule on the US site too.  But under additional rules it says:

On certain flights with Lufthansa Regional or where country-specific variations apply (flights from Italy, India and the USA), First and Business Class passengers must check in their second piece of carry-on baggage.

I have no idea whether Barcelona to Frankfurt is a regional flight.  Oh, well, we shall see…

• Thanks 1

To Request a transfer:  click on the Air Transfer hot link (Air Transfer Request) on the Air page in MVJ.

You fill out the form and then must email or fax an image of the completed form.

We always do our own air (I refuse to have 2 layover and plane changes from Atlanta to Europe.)

One connection a cruiseline  gave me was ATL to MSP to JFK to Paris.  You can request Transfer for arrival or for departure. We usually arrive 1 or 2 days early so we only book the transfer for departure from the ship. Cost has be $49 or $59 per person.

13 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  That’s the main rule on the US site too.  But under additional rules it says:

On certain flights with Lufthansa Regional or where country-specific variations apply (flights from Italy, India and the USA), First and Business Class passengers must check in their second piece of carry-on baggage.

I have no idea whether Barcelona to Frankfurt is a regional flight.  Oh, well, we shall see…

They are referring to flights on smaller aircraft, such as Embraer 190/195 and CRJ-900, where there aren't the overhead bin space you would find on larger aircraft.