Ziplocks, NCL is turning cruisers into squirrels

skeeter195

I am a very early riser ( usually up and about around  6-6:30am ( even on a cruise).  As we all know, the cabins are a bit tight ( and don't say I should splurge on Haven Suites), especially if someone else is still sleeping and you don't want to bother them.  I go up to the buffet and have my breakfast.  After about 1 hour or so, I make up a continental breakfast plate of assorted muffins and cheeses along with coffee or juice, and take it back to the cabin for the other person .  That's the only time I take any food away.  But, I can understand taking a zip lock and do some light packing.  Especially if going on an excursion.  You never know how long it will be before they stop for a meal break.  Some people get very ill if they don't eat at a certain schedule.  I know the if I get really hungry, I get a very nasty headache that will ruin the rest of the day.  I see nothing wrong with taking snacks.  I wouldn't pack a dinner for later, but snack, no big deal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

It's clear many of you have never worked in the service industry and see people react to "free" food.  It's pretty comically actually. Some people scarfed down food like it's their last meal and it was marketing that way.  Or even worse, take huge plates of food only to barely touch anything.

Well said. Part of this problem, of course, is the entitlement mentality many people (me included, BTW) have when they're on a cruise. They assume that they can have anything they want, whenever they want, and as much of it as they want. Well maybe that's true, but at some point either it's going to cost more, or things will be cut back, or perhaps both. And bi***ing about it isn't going to solve a single thing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

and lava cake and pour it all into bags for later 😂

Boy, if I could have figured out how to get a hot lava cake, with the ice cream, into a Ziploc  on my Carnival cruises, I probably would have been bringing suitcases full home with me. 😉 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

Exactly.   I’m prepared for anything.   
I don’t use them just for food. Lolol.  
You just never know when you’ll need one.    
I have tape, superglue,eyeglass repair kit and batteries with me too. Lolol. 
you never know.    Lolol.   

I call that Grandmas Purse.   Always prepared for any situation

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I am a very early riser ( usually up and about around  6-6:30am ( even on a cruise).  As we all know, the cabins are a bit tight ( and don't say I should splurge on Haven Suites), especially if someone else is still sleeping and you don't want to bother them.  I go up to the buffet and have my breakfast.  After about 1 hour or so, I make up a continental breakfast plate of assorted muffins and cheeses along with coffee or juice, and take it back to the cabin for the other person .

I have done this exact same thing.  Some people on this board would have you believe we shouldn't be doing that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

but again...my point is that it isn't NCL making you have baggies, you bought those on your own.

That wasn't even on an NCL cruise!  Notice the daily behind the bag - MSC...

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Lol nothing worse then a hangry teenage boy

I'm not a small guy, I snack often at home.  I manage on a cruise just fine.  In fact - I might be one of the few that goes on a cruise and LOSES weight...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I am a very early riser ( usually up and about around  6-6:30am ( even on a cruise).  As we all know, the cabins are a bit tight ( and don't say I should splurge on Haven Suites), especially if someone else is still sleeping and you don't want to bother them.  I go up to the buffet and have my breakfast.  After about 1 hour or so, I make up a continental breakfast plate of assorted muffins and cheeses along with coffee or juice, and take it back to the cabin for the other person.

On a cruise I go to sleep around 1 am and still wake up at your time (around 6:20 am); so ... I don't have enough time to become hungry on any given day.

I typically would take some cheese/strawberries in the morning to have them with morning Champagne, following the same routine late night to go with Scotch or Porto.

Just now, kirtihk said:

On a cruise I go to sleep around 1 am and still wake up at your time (around 6:20 am); so ... I don't have enough time to become hungry on any given day.

I typically would take some cheese/strawberries in the morning to have them with morning Champagne, following the same routine late night to go with Scotch or Porto.

Im surprised you can get up...LOL.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Im surprised you can get up...LOL.  

I used to say on cruises - "Every hour counts on a cruise."  With 40+ cruises (we started with our children, and I was going to disco every late night with my son) it gradually changed with time to my "Every minute" mantra (still dancing after midnight, talking to crew members and fellow passengers who stay late - the best part of cruising; then morning 30-min fast walk above the pool deck with fresh squeezed juice in my hand followed by a shot of espresso, then Champagne - life is good!).

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

That wasn't even on an NCL cruise!  Notice the daily behind the bag - MSC...

I'm not a small guy, I snack often at home.  I manage on a cruise just fine.  In fact - I might be one of the few that goes on a cruise and LOSES weight...

I was on NCL last week for 15 days.  So yea. It was on a NCL.  

im on MSC this week. Yes.   And RC next week.     And will still have ziplocks with me.    
29 days at sea.   You have to be prepared 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

As a side note...in high school, "You're so Vain" came on at a party or dance or something. I had truly never, ever heard that song before, yet I was scream singing it so loud as if I was Carly Simon! o. 

Slightly off topic...okay waaayy off topic...what are the first four words of "You're So Vain"?

Wow!  I used the term hangry teenager and now I’m a bad helicopter parent with a bad child. My son is the most respectful young man I know. He is however growing an inch a month. No joke. He is stick skinny and eats all the time. No I will not send him to bed hungry.  I will allow him to take food from the buffet to enjoy later. So that all my children are well taken care of. He is the responsible one. He will take care of his needs but he doesn’t like to sit alone at a sit down restaurant. So no I won’t leave him at osheeans, while I put his sister to bed. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Boy, if I could have figured out how to get a hot lava cake, with the ice cream, into a Ziploc  on my Carnival cruises, I probably would have been bringing suitcases full home with me. 😉 

I'm pretty sure you can get frozen lava cakes at Walmart.  They sell ice cream too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

Wow!  I used the term hangry teenager and now I’m a bad helicopter parent with a bad child. My son is the most respectful young man I know. He is however growing an inch a month. No joke. He is stick skinny and eats all the time. No I will not send him to bed hungry.  I will allow him to take food from the buffet to enjoy later. So that all my children are well taken care of. He is the responsible one. He will take care of his needs but he doesn’t like to sit alone at a sit down restaurant. So no I won’t leave him at osheeans, while I put his sister to bed. 

Every parents kids are the best in their own eyes.    Just sayin.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

The recipe is online to make at home. Lol 

There are actually multiple recipes online claiming to be Carnival's Lava Cake.  I've not been able to make any of the ones I tried come out as good as they do on the ship.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I am a very early riser ( usually up and about around  6-6:30am ( even on a cruise).  As we all know, the cabins are a bit tight ( and don't say I should splurge on Haven Suites), especially if someone else is still sleeping and you don't want to bother them.  I go up to the buffet and have my breakfast.  After about 1 hour or so, I make up a continental breakfast plate of assorted muffins and cheeses along with coffee or juice, and take it back to the cabin for the other person.

DH does the same for me. As a recipient of this very kind gesture, I applaud you. There's just something so nice to waking up on vacation with a cup of coffee I didn't have to make or get myself, after sleeping in no less!

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

There are actually multiple recipes online claiming to be Carnival's Lava Cake.  I've not been able to make any of the ones I tried come out as good as they do on the ship.

They have gone downhill. DS got one and it was super delicious so DD and I both got one the next day. Mine tasted like rubber, and hers was soupy. Even Carnival doesn't always get it right.

21 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Have you tried the store-bought frozen lava cakes.

Lot's of folks don't realize that much of the food served in restaurants isn't made to order but is pre-packed frozen items.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

Nope you’re not. Lots of cranky in your business judgmental people commenting. I’m on a cruise to relax, enjoy and have fun could care less what others do.

Families with kids have paid just as much or even more than me, and if snacks, sandwiches back to cabin work for them why should I or anyone else care. 
Im an adult and don’t enjoy sitting by myself at a sit down restaurant.

ignore the naysayers/haters, there is one doozy in these comments who shall remain unnamed lol

Edited by njkate
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2