Few hours in cabo, Puerta Vallarta and mazatlan

colesc15

Hi all. Heading on this cruise in a few weeks, and looking for some input. We have excursions booked for each, but we'll still have a few hours afterwards for each. I'm cabo, excursion ends around 5 and we're there until 8. Not a lot time, but anything you would do in that time frame to check out? 

Mazatlan our excursion ends at 12:30 and we're there until 6. 

Last, in Puerta Vallarta, excursion ends at 12 and we're there until 6. What's something exciting to do or check out during that afternoon? 

Thanks! 

Cabo is my favorite stop of this selection, right at the pier there will be a few shops/restaurants to kill an hour or so, but more popular is Medano Beach....better selection of shops and beach access.  That being said though Cabo is very touristy, going around on your own after dark is always a risk so be sure to stay in touristy area's and use caution.  Some popular places are Cabo Wabo (owned by Sammy Hagar) People like Mango Deck and the Sand Bar has cheap messages upstairs (books up early though).  

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

Cabo is my favorite stop of this selection, right at the pier there will be a few shops/restaurants to kill an hour or so, but more popular is Medano Beach....better selection of shops and beach access.  That being said though Cabo is very touristy, going around on your own after dark is always a risk so be sure to stay in touristy area's and use caution.  Some popular places are Cabo Wabo (owned by Sammy Hagar) People like Mango Deck and the Sand Bar has cheap messages upstairs (books up early though).  

Whats the easiest way to get to medano Beach or cabo wabo from the cruise port? I appreciate your input 😊

• Like 1

Depensing where your excursion goes in Pto Vallartam it is easy to take a bus or cab into old town. Walk the Malecon, visit the chuch, have a drink on Playa Los Muertos.

Or walk (or cab) to the Marina where the yachts are, walk that Malecon for a drink, maybe you will see the local crocodil swim around. 

• Like 1

Mazatlan - head to the central district - follow the blue line from the cruise terminal to Plaza Machado. From their head towards Immaculate Conception Cathedral with a stop at MazTamales for excellent homemade tamales. If you want fresh made corn tortillas to take home - go to Tortillería Zaragoza. It’s close by. The Malecon is close by for strolling.

alternately, you could hike to the top of the lighthouse - though it might be roasting hot in the afternoon. If you go, buy tickets for the skywalk at the bottom of the climb.

A69A9C43-CC10-4677-91BB-C41D4DA40707.jpeg

CE747D12-7349-4CA8-9FC5-D951D89076A0.jpeg

881F691E-5F18-4995-8665-9EE70C5C8411.jpeg

FF166D21-63CC-4C9E-B2C8-58106090FEF6.jpeg

721C7558-F944-4B34-903C-115D4D91DF10.jpeg

Edited by lax19
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, colesc15 said:

Whats the easiest way to get to medano Beach or cabo wabo from the cruise port? I appreciate your input 😊

A water taxi is the quickest and easiest way to Medano beach a car taxi would be the best option for Cabo Wabo.  As soon as you get off the pier there will be individuals offering water taxi's over to Medano Beach (most people go here).  Don't pay more than a few dollars per person and make sure it's both ways and you make arrangements for them to pick you back up.  I have done this a dozen or so times and they do always return to pick us up.  If you tell them Mango Deck, the Office or Sand bar they will know exactly where to go.  Mango Deck has a live Cam on their website so you can check it out to get an idea of the place etc.  One thing left to mention....If you boat leaves at 8pm, the last tender back on the boat might be 7pm...and there might be a line for the tender so never play it close on timing as far as that goes your boat will leave without you if you are running late (with the exception of a carnival excursion they will wait for a delayed Carnival excursion)

• Like 2

CaCruisin did not mention that if you take a water taxi to Medano Beach, you will have to disembark in the surf.  And that if you pre-pay for round trip, you need to locate the same water taxi to bring you back to the tender pier.  I don't do that.  I prefer a pedi-cab or a land taxi (or to walk).  

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Cabo about 20 years ago and I know for sure we walked from the pier to Cabo Wabo and back. Granted...we were younger then, and I have no idea what the city is like these days as far as safety goes, but I know we walked it and it wasn’t a big deal at the time. Planning to go back there again in June when we visit! 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, Theosprey247 said:

Isn’t Cabo Wabo walkable from the pier?

Yes; I'm not a huge fan of Cabo Wabo because it's so American.  More-so than other places, I'd say.

I like Wizzie's that is right there in front of the pier, you can't miss it; it's an upstairs restaurant.  Their nachos are bomb.  I usually hang out there while the family goes on an excursion that I am not interested in (they are doing whale-watching this time, March, and I'll be chillin' at Wizzie's with my nachos and a margarita ... or two).

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I was not a fan of Cabo Wabo....I did go on a day (I believe it was Sammys bday) so he was in town and singing at the location, but it was insanely crowded, the service was poor and I wasn't really impressed with the atmosphere or food either, but again this could have been circumstantial.  IMO definitely more of a tourist trap and certainly NOT authentic to Mexico (though to be fair Cabo as a whole isn't).

Edited by cacruisin

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

I may be in the minority, but I was not a fan of Cabo Wabo....I did go on a day (I believe it was Sammys bday) so he was in town and singing at the location, but it was insanely crowded, the service was poor and I wasn't really impressed with the atmosphere or food either, but again this could have been circumstantial.  IMO definitely more of a tourist trap and certainly NOT authentic to Mexico (though to be fair Cabo as a whole isn't).

I agree completely.  It's like a Hard Rock in the US.  I don't go to Mexico for experiences I can get in the US; though I reckon others may because it's their style and that's fine ... just not my thing different stroke for different folks.

• Like 1

Cabo is our least favorite port and Cabo Wabo is definately just a tourist trap. We went there on our first trip and felt like we wasted time going there.  Then again, some say that about The Office and we love to eat there!  Or just up the hill is Baja brewing that has excellent food and view of the whole area.

In PV you could go to the Malecon, but if you been before, maybe try the marina. It's closer to the cruise ship.  We did see the famous crocodile on our last trip (it's huge) and we weren't planning to eat there, but we got talked into eating at one from the vendor promoting his restaurant and it turned out to be excellent and one of our favorite meals. 

Haven't been to Mazatlan in years, but we will be there in April.  We're probably going to Stone Island in the AM and walk around town in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

carohs, the usual Arch glass-bottom boat tours can drop you off at Medano Beach.  But there are also boats that will take you directly to the beach without going to the Arch.

You can grab a boat at the beach to bring you back to the Marina.  

• Thanks 1