Bid to Upgrade Program: Two Specific Questions

talkorpi

Was hoping that someone with experience with the new upgrade bidding system might be able to help answer my questions. I got my email offer to upgrade today. I am in a cabin that is one of the best locations for its category but I would like to upgrade to a balcony. However, I have two pretty specific questions before I’m ready to bid:

1) If I am trying to bid for a deluxe balcony, but I only want to be in an AFT-FACING balcony and not one of the ones midship that just have bigger balconies, is there a way I can do that? Has anyone had any luck getting upgraded to one of these cabins OR with calling Princess after bid acceptance and getting moved to one of these cabins? 

2) Is it possible to pay for these upgrades with a gift card? I have one leftover from Christmas and while I understand that you have to put in a credit card while bidding, will it also charge a card? Or when it gets accepted can I use the gift card as a payment method?

Additionally, do you think it is better to bid earlier or much closer to sail date? Wondering the advantages / disadvantages of both. Very new to this and still figuring things out. 

Edit for context: on the Ruby Princess. Still plenty of cabins available in all categories. 

Answers appreciated, thanks so much!

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 1

• talkorpi changed the title to Bid to Upgrade Program: Two Specific Questions

You will have no choice in where cabin is located.  If there is a cabin you want in the exact same category ( not just same type)  you may be able to request a cabin change but in the end you should be ok knowing your cabin may be anywhere.  You are bidding a cabin type, not location. 

Yes, you can use a Princess gift card to pay for the upgrade. 

• Like 3

Just curious…is there a way to monitor your status once you put in the bid? I know they send you an email  if you win the bid so you can pay for the new cabin but if you don’t do they let you know or are you in “limbo” until sail date?

thanks!

1 hour ago, Camelia- said:

Just curious…is there a way to monitor your status once you put in the bid? I know they send you an email  if you win the bid so you can pay for the new cabin but if you don’t do they let you know or are you in “limbo” until sail date?

thanks!

Limbo lower now.. how low can you go?  Just kidding.  No.  I didn't get a thing once I bid until it was accepted.  However, if you want to change your mind, you can sign back in and raise or lower your bid though.  Once it's accepted though, that's it.

18 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Limbo lower now.. how low can you go?  Just kidding.  No.  I didn't get a thing once I bid until it was accepted.  However, if you want to change your mind, you can sign back in and raise or lower your bid though.  Once it's accepted though, that's it.

I’m glad that you were successful! Did you have to wait long for an answer? I’ve heard of cases where it was accepted two days before the cruise..

Update - I bid on a premium balcony.  Called a very helpful Princess rep who told me that they could move me to any available cabin if my bid is accepted and if I didn't want to move I could keep the same cabin I had.  Honestly, any balcony is better than no balcony, though, and I would be saving over $600 through an accepted bid rather than if I had booked the same category directly.  Shall see how it goes!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Camelia- said:

I’m glad that you were successful! Did you have to wait long for an answer? I’ve heard of cases where it was accepted two days before the cruise..

We bid when it opened (Right after final payment  90 days until departure.)   Bid was accepted about 2 weeks before departure.  I've read some bids were accepted within a day of submittal to a day before leaving!   I don't believe there's a pattern there and it's cruise by cruise and even then, cabin by cabin.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, talkorpi said:

Update - I bid on a premium balcony.  Called a very helpful Princess rep who told me that they could move me to any available cabin if my bid is accepted and if I didn't want to move I could keep the same cabin I had.  Honestly, any balcony is better than no balcony, though, and I would be saving over $600 through an accepted bid rather than if I had booked the same category directly.  Shall see how it goes!

This answered my question about not wanting to move in case bid was accepted.....thank you!

• Like 1