Which beach for snorkeling?

SUESEABE

We will be bringing or snorkeling gear. I saw a great video a few posts down of snorkeling at Sapphire beach but we are among 6 ships in port that day and it may too crowded at Sapphire. Anyone know of other beach for snorkeling?

Sapphire is the biggest snorkeling beach on St Thomas. Coki is known for snorkeling but is smaller and will be crowded for sure. Secret Harbor, also small, limits chair rentals as a way of controlling the number of people on the beach.

The best way to avoid crowds is to take a private excursion. Depending on when your ship is in port you may escape crowds from other ships.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:52 PM, SUESEABE said:

We will be bringing or snorkeling gear. I saw a great video a few posts down of snorkeling at Sapphire beach but we are among 6 ships in port that day and it may too crowded at Sapphire. Anyone know of other beach for snorkeling?

Can I ask where you go to look for what ships will be in port?  I used to use Cruise TT but when I go there it looks like this and clicking does nothing.

image.png.459ec1cc409621f35dee167fdbfc2417.png

On 2/3/2023 at 12:32 PM, SUESEABE said:

@cruiseat50 I use the 'Cruise Port Schedules' section of Cruisemapper.com. You need to check each port individually

Thank you for the reply but I want to warn people that Cruisemapper is pretty unreliable as this is the schedule for our cruise and below it is what Cruisemapper has on their site.

Fri 10-Mar 4:00 pm SHIP DEPARTS NEW YORK CITY 1;2
Sat 11-Mar AT SEA 1;2
Sun 12-Mar 9:00 am Sun 12-Mar 5:00 pm Dock ROYAL NAVAL DOCKYARD, BERMUDA 1;2
Mon 13-Mar AT SEA 1;2
Tue 14-Mar 11:00 am Tue 14-Mar 9:00 pm Dock SAN JUAN 1;2
Wed 15-Mar 9:00 am Wed 15-Mar 7:00 pm PHILIPSBURG ST MAARTEN, NETHERLAND
ANTILLES
Dock 1;2
Thu 16-Mar 7:00 am Thu 16-Mar 5:00 pm Dock ST THOMAS 1;2
Fri 17-Mar 6:00 am Fri 17-Mar 1:00 pm Dock TORTOLA, BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS 1;2
Sat 18-Mar 8:00 am Sat 18-Mar 4:00 pm Dock PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1;2
Sun 19-Mar AT SEA 1;2
Mon 20-Mar AT SEA 1;2
Tue 21-Mar 10:00 am SHIP ARRIVES AT NEW YORK CITY

**Also, it shows that we are departing from Bayonne and we are actually depart from Manhattan. 

No photo description available.

My recommendation if you have your own gear and want to go from shore is Brewers beach for the turtles which are everywhere.  A little tricky to do with taxis but great if you have a rental car.  There is a food truck there, bathrooms, showers.  It is not crowded.  We were there Christmas day.  No chair rentals though but shade under trees.  2nd is Sapphire.  Definitely secret harbor.  Coki has ok snorkeling to the right of the beach but is a mob scene and not a great place to hang for the day as everybody heads there.  Water island has good snorkeling and is right near crown bay.  We were just in St. Thomas a few days over Christmas and we have our own snorkeling gear and we had a rental car which made exploring so much easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:36 AM, cruiseat50 said:

Can I ask where you go to look for what ships will be in port?  I used to use Cruise TT but when I go there it looks like this and clicking does nothing.

image.png.459ec1cc409621f35dee167fdbfc2417.png

For STT the cruise ship schedule on the VINow site shows what ships are scheduled for each dock, the scheduled arrival/departure times, and the ship passenger capacity..

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 7:16 AM, jean87510 said:

My recommendation if you have your own gear and want to go from shore is Brewers beach for the turtles which are everywhere.  A little tricky to do with taxis but great if you have a rental car.  There is a food truck there, bathrooms, showers.  It is not crowded.  We were there Christmas day.  No chair rentals though but shade under trees.  2nd is Sapphire.  Definitely secret harbor.  Coki has ok snorkeling to the right of the beach but is a mob scene and not a great place to hang for the day as everybody heads there.  Water island has good snorkeling and is right near crown bay.  We were just in St. Thomas a few days over Christmas and we have our own snorkeling gear and we had a rental car which made exploring so much easier.

can I ask why it would be hard for a taxi to go to brewers beach?

Brewers is mostly a local beach so taxis can't get a fare from there so their taxi will be empty. There isn't a taxi stand there like at most other beaches. If you have a large group it's easier to find a taxi who will take your group and then come back for you.

43 minutes ago, fletchers5 said:

The taxi drivers like to go to the beaches like Coki or Magens.  Same with St. John's where the taxi drivers like to take you to Trunk Bay and no where else.  When we use taxis for out of the way spots like Brewers, we always ask if we can get their number or meet up in a few hours.  Usually works.

There are sedans and vehicles smaller than the safari type vehicles, but the smaller taxis don't usually service the cruise docks. If you walk to the main road and there are 2 or 4 of you a sedan type vehicle may offer to taxi you.

Unless you make an arrangement with the taxi that took you and get the phone number, you might not be able to get a taxi even if you call for one.

Sapphire beach is usually not crowded but getting early is key! Snorkeling reef is to the right facing ocean and sea grass area straight out front. Sea turtles in morning and sting rays too over sea grass. Later on reef area but be careful not to touch reef. Coki beach is good for snorkeling and buy dog biscuits from vendors to attract fish.

@cementhands Unfortunately getting there early is not possible. I double checked port schedules with Cruisetimtables.com and we are on the Reflection which is the last of 5 ships to arrive:

Celebrity Reflection a 1230 d 2000 2852 Guests
Disney Fantasy a 0745 d 1600 2500 Guests
Norwegian Encore a 1130 d 1900 3998 Guests
Wonder Of The Seas a 1159 d 2000 5734 Guests
ms Nieuw Statendam a 0800 d 1700 2666 Guests

I like @jean87510 recommendation for Brewers Beach. Due to the large numbers in port we have decided on a 6 hour Private Tour with David's Fun Tours and we will have him take us to Brewers for snorkeling and swim. He will wait for us. Hopefully this will work out.

9 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

@cementhands Unfortunately getting there early is not possible. I double checked port schedules with Cruisetimtables.com and we are on the Reflection which is the last of 5 ships to arrive:

Celebrity Reflection a 1230 d 2000 2852 Guests
Disney Fantasy a 0745 d 1600 2500 Guests
Norwegian Encore a 1130 d 1900 3998 Guests
Wonder Of The Seas a 1159 d 2000 5734 Guests
ms Nieuw Statendam a 0800 d 1700 2666 Guests

I like @jean87510 recommendation for Brewers Beach. Due to the large numbers in port we have decided on a 6 hour Private Tour with David's Fun Tours and we will have him take us to Brewers for snorkeling and swim. He will wait for us. Hopefully this will work out.

Let us know how it turns out!!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cementhands said:

Sapphire beach is usually not crowded but getting early is key! Snorkeling reef is to the right facing ocean and sea grass area straight out front. Sea turtles in morning and sting rays too over sea grass. Later on reef area but be careful not to touch reef. Coki beach is good for snorkeling and buy dog biscuits from vendors to attract fish.

Sapphire is attracting more day visitors because there are just so many of them, and off-the-beach snorkeling (with all amenities) is limited to a few beaches. But it does offer the two snorkel areas with the sandier bottom swimming area in the center when the current hasn’t moved the sand…

Coki can be a mess for snorkeling with so many novices churning up the water and feeding the fish…😔

On 2/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ms411 said:

There are sedans and vehicles smaller than the safari type vehicles, but the smaller taxis don't usually service the cruise docks. If you walk to the main road and there are 2 or 4 of you a sedan type vehicle may offer to taxi you.

Unless you make an arrangement with the taxi that took you and get the phone number, you might not be able to get a taxi even if you call for one.

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Let us know how it turns out!!  

That is an ideal solution - enjoy!

If there is no central taxi number to request a taxi as in other ports then you’re out of luck at Brewers, Cowpet and other less-visited areas..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 4:57 PM, SUESEABE said:

When is your sailing? would love to hear review of Davids fun tour

On 2/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, fletchers5 said:

If you are adventurous, you could take the dollar bus to brewers beach - we've done it.  You would pick it up out front of the Pueblo grocery store (just outside Havensight)

going that direction, you would take it all the way to the university (end of the line) and a 10 minute walk to the beach

brewers is real chill - hardly anyone there, there is a restroom, but no chair rentals - the day we went, there was a guy with a cart selling drinks

not the best snorkeling, but turtles run through there and I followed a sting ray around for about a half hour.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 6:34 AM, blue_water said:

Sapphire is attracting more day visitors because there are just so many of them, and off-the-beach snorkeling (with all amenities) is limited to a few beaches. But it does offer the two snorkel areas with the sandier bottom swimming area in the center when the current hasn’t moved the sand…

Coki can be a mess for snorkeling with so many novices churning up the water and feeding the fish…😔

Does Sapphire beach have shower facilities and snorkel grear rental?  

• 8 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, jean87510 said:

We would love to buzz around making up our own beach tour. Can you tell me which company you used for car rental? We will be arriving via Celebrity Apex in March