Picture-A-Week 2023 - Week 05

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, January 30 and Sunday, February 5.

A new month starts this week. February 2023 is National Take Pictures and Share Them On Cruise Critic Month. There will likely be tens of thousands of pictures posted, so post early and post often to avoid the rush!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

7 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Taken this morning in my garden ... simple basic editing 😉

Nothing fancy ... a consumer grade Sony camera with a cropped sensor. (RX10IV)

1/320

F/4

600 mmm equivalent 

ISO - 1600

DSC06636-Edit.jpg

Now that's a portrait 😍🤩

Pretty amazing for "nothing fancy" and a basic edit. You and the Sony captured a great image. It's just about getting that shot, and you did. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

We are getting serious cold in Ohio today, but not as challenged as in Canada and what is coming to the NE USA.  Yesterday was very sunny in our area.  Below is a picture I captured of a super nice deer buck with an amazing rack in our backyard ravine area.  This wildlife creature was very relaxed and enjoying the sunshine day.  Did not do this pix with my cell phone.  Used my Nikon camera with a longer lens in order to be close enough without scaring him away.  Like?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.jpeg.42fa2681cb7b62b8e165556212747303.jpeg

• Like 7

Eighteen years ago on Groundhog's Day, the family was gathered in a hospital room welcoming our second Granddaughter, Daisy, into existence. On Saturday, a rather larger group of family and friends welcomed that same Granddaughter into the complicated and somewhat frightening world of adulthood in the twenty-first century. The guest list exceeded the capacity of our venue, so the hosting of the gala event was at the Bautista compound (Good friends’ house + huge yard). I said “gala” and it was. Red carpet. Formal wear required. Red and black theme. I broke out the studio flash equipment and shot hundreds of serious and funny portraits throughout the evening, including this one of our warm, funny Princess for a Day.

Adulting

1341720706_2023-05Adulting.thumb.jpg.847b083e7283cab97f82007e782d129c.jpg

Dave

Behind the scenes...

344766777_Daisy18th-706157.thumb.jpg.bbdbddd84799cf78450359b059956aa7.jpg

• Like 6

Had a very rainy weekend - Saturday was light drizzle off and on with heavy grey overcast all day, and Sunday was heavy downpours interspersed with sunshine off and on all day.  I decided to take a short trip out to the wetlands on the drizzly grey Saturday - poor light and a drizzle are better for the camera and lens than heavy downpours!

A Wilson's snipe, usually hiding in tall grass, was more out in the open due to the weather and lack of people in the wetlands that day:

original.jpg

A yellow-rumped warbler up close, saying hello:

original.jpg

This marsh rabbit had found a little spot nestled under a pond apple tree where he could stay out of the drizzle - he looked very comfortable there:

original.jpg

A black-and-white warbler popping through the trees didn't mind me there to watch:

original.jpg

A great blue heron had snagged a nice large fish - and was just trying to figure out how to get it off his bill and eat it:

original.jpg

I can't help but think of the phrase 'Oh No!  Mr. Bill!' whenever I see fish about to become a bird's lunch - it's that fish mouth's shape! (if you're too young for that reference, Google it!):

original.jpg

The bold and beautiful male American redstart staying high up in the trees:

original.jpg

• Like 6

Love the heron and fish picture! What a great capture! Have you ever caught them thinking, "man, this is too big to swallow, throw it back!"

And I get the Mr. Bill reference - I actually have a Mr. Bill toy in my speech pathology kit, to teach beginning talkers "OH NO!" (along with a ghost (BOO!), a firetruck (ee-o-ee-o) and animals (moo, baa, woof!))

11 hours ago, pengu1n said:

Love the heron and fish picture! What a great capture! Have you ever caught them thinking, "man, this is too big to swallow, throw it back!"

And I get the Mr. Bill reference - I actually have a Mr. Bill toy in my speech pathology kit, to teach beginning talkers "OH NO!" (along with a ghost (BOO!), a firetruck (ee-o-ee-o) and animals (moo, baa, woof!))

Honestly, the great blue herons are probably the leaders in the big fish department - I've seen wood storks get pretty good ones, and anhingas will spear decent sized ones - but no bird quite matches what the GBHs will pick up.  And honestly, I've never seen one give up because it was too big!  They either swallow it in a physics-defying act that makes you gag when you watch - or they walk it to the shore where they can lay it down in dry ground and then raise their head high and strike down with their bills with almighty force, over and over, until the fish is cleaved in two...then eat each half.

Glad some knew who Mr. Bill was.  And even have him!  Every fish I've ever seen get speared by a bird has that expression on its face.  And I don't blame them either.

• Like 1